What do you guys think of Craig Bohl?

arkane

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

If you're trying to make a comparison to Diaco, you're doing it wrong. 

2000: 31 points to OU, 29 points to KSU

2001: 62 to CU, 37 to Miami (thank you, Larry Coker)

2002: 40 to PSU, 36 to ISU, 49 to KSU. 

The wheels were fully off by 2002. 

In addition to those stats, in those years, we still had a fairly powerful running game offense that did control the ball and used up a lot of game clock helping to lower the opponent's time of possession / snaps.   Bohl was fired for a reason and in the event things didn't go well early on, the calls for his head would be loud and clear.  In fairness, Bohl was also suffering from the talent decline at times and had to deal with Frank as HC who was looking for scapegoats.   

Bohl was very successful up north because he had dam good recruiting from Nebraska and the area as well.  He took some diamonds in the rough that NU would have had walk on maybe but for Callahan dumping the walk on program and there were quite a few guys dumped off the roster during those years as well.      

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
  • Plus1 1
6 hours ago, arkane said:

I'm not actually a Nebraska fan, I like Arkansas. We're probably both going to be looking for new coaches at the end of the year, and I hear people saying Scott Frost to Nebraska is a foregone conclusion. While looking around at potential coaches for Arkansas, I noticed Craig Bohl, the guy who built North Dakota State and won three straight NCs there, is a graduate of Nebraska. If for some reason you didn't get Frost, would he be considered or welcomed? He's having so-so success at Wyoming, but it's Wyoming. Not the easiest place to thrive, and this is only his fourth year. And not to discount the awesome turnaround Frost has given UCF, but I want to say Bohl has proven at least as much.

To put it into context for you, the reaction to Nebraska hiring Bohl would be worse than Arkansas fan's reaction if you guys rehired John L. Smith....

4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I won't argue that he was a good DC, but to say bad/horrible wouldn't be correct after looking at the whole body of work. I would say giving up over 30 ppg is horrible aka Mr. Diaco 

PEople act like that Colorado team was terrible. They were pretty stacked on offense talent wise as I remember.  I think they had an OL or 2 and the TE that had decent nfl careers and the RB’s were pretty deep.  Barnett was a pretty good coach at the time too.

2 hours ago, shyndy said:

PEople act like that Colorado team was terrible. They were pretty stacked on offense talent wise as I remember.  I think they had an OL or 2 and the TE that had decent nfl careers and the RB’s were pretty deep.  Barnett was a pretty good coach at the time too.

I don't want him as our next HC, but people point to a few football games and all of a sudden he was terrible. You could say that about almost all D coordinators. Bo even gave up 52 points to Mizzou and 62 points to Oklahoma in 2008 AND not to mention 70 points to Wisconsin in the B10 championship. 

Edited by BIG ERN
  • Plus1 1
6 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Also, quick story about this game. My family and I were staying at the Marriot in Des Moines when Colorado was playing @ Ames (the game before us) we were there for a wedding. I was wearing a Nebraska jacket and HC Gary Barnett was poking fun about it. I jokingly told him that Eric Crouch was going to run all over them etc. I then got in the elevator and my brother and I were squeezed in between 4 massive lineman and RB Chris Brown. With a low voice their DL said "Wrong jacket for being in here boy" then we all started laughing. I was younger and started spouting out how we were going to dominate them in Boulder. 62 points and 6 rushing TD later by Brown....Sorry, Craig! 

Thanks for destroying Nebraska Football ya jerk 

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Thanks for destroying Nebraska Football ya jerk 

I had a part too :(

My old man wore all black and a gold watch before kickoff of 62-36. I told him, "You jinxed us. You're wearing black and gold and now we're going to get embarrassed in a blowout." By half time, he put a hole in a door and ripped the watch off his wrist and threw it over my head, lol. I told him later not to worry because every team ahead of us will fall and we'll sneak our way in somehow. Surely enough 7 or 8 teams ahead of us all choked within 2 weeks. I believe Tennessee was the last one to choke in an upset to LSU in the SEC Championship game.

He was pissed at me because every time I have ever said we will lose, we did. In 1996, I predicted we would get shutout @ Arizona State and then a 10 point loss to Texas in the CCG. In 1999, I predicted a loss to Texas and rematch with them in the B1G championship immediately after our loss to them in the regular season. In December 2007, during the final week of the NFL season, the Patriots and Giants squared off and the Pats won an entertaining game 38-35.

I told about 50 people at a party when the game was on that they just saw a preview of the Super Bowl and that the Giants would defeat the Pats in a rematch at SB 42 in an upset. Everyone laughed and called me crazy. When it came true, my girlfriend at the time thought I was a freak. The point I'm trying to make is I should probably be a bookie... Because I'd be stupid rich. 

As for my Dad... He's apathetic. He's gotten used to losing. He's gotten more and more disinterested in Nebraska football. He has zero confidence that Moos will hire Frost or even a good coach. He's been following Nebraska since before games were on TV and mostly radio. He still watches every single game but I find he only gets rowdy during the big games (like the Wisconsin game but not Ohio State) Back in the 90's he was psyched up for every game.

Edited by FTW

Just now, Nebhawk said:

On another message board it sounds like KSU is going to likely go after Bohl.  They hired NDSU's AD.  I don't know alot other than those nuggets on him.  He is a decent coach. He was just started when we demaned his head on a platter when CO beat our butts in Boulder.

If he goes to KSU, might actually be a good fit for him when you think about it.

9 minutes ago, FTW said:

If he goes to KSU, might actually be a good fit for him when you think about it.

It does make some sense, but I don't know if that job is going to ever have the same success after Snyder leaves.  Bill Snyder, no matter your opinion, did something that might be a one of a kind thing for a school like KSU.  Who ever ends up going there, is going to have to work there rears off.  That  is not an easy sell for any one, but I guess the NDSU wasn't either before Bohl.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

It does make some sense, but I don't know if that job is going to ever have the same success after Snyder leaves.  Bill Snyder, no matter your opinion, did something that might be a one of a kind thing for a school like KSU.  Who ever ends up going there, is going to have to work there rears off.  That  is not an easy sell for any one, but I guess the NDSU wasn't either before Bohl.

They have good connections to JUCOs and Bohl has a way of finding and coaching up guys nobody saw coming.

I don’t know who would be best for KSU, but Bohl would be up there.

24 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

What if they get Bob Stoops?! Lol. That would be the ultimate betrayal on OU.