The Democrat Utopia

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

It's not a short-term fix but not needing gas is the ultimate long-term fix for gas prices.

You're correct long term. But throwing half a trillion at it right now will do nothing to address "current skyrocketing prices" 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

You're correct long term. But throwing half a trillion at it right now will do nothing to address "current skyrocketing prices" 

There's not really much that can be done about current prices. Even increasing oil production takes years to have a meaningful impact. So taking the actions now so that we don't have to go through this again makes a lot of sense.

41 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

There's not really much that can be done about current prices. Even increasing oil production takes years to have a meaningful impact. So taking the actions now so that we don't have to go through this again makes a lot of sense.

The only thing that's going to decrease prices right now is to decrease demand.  You are correct, increasing production is not a quick fix.  Production has been increasing ever since around the beginning of 2021.

16 hours ago, nic said:

I wonder what the actual allegations are, this news story is not written well at all, with very few facts presented.

Title IX covers all forms of sex discrimination or sexual harassment, it doesn't have to be in the same ballpark as sexual assault. However, sexual harassment does have to be severe, pervasive, and objectively offensive in order to meet the Title IX definition. While I can see intentional misuse of pronouns and mockery of someone's chosen pronouns potentially rising to the definition of harassment (creating a hostile environment), it is unlikely.

However, Title IX regulations require a school to automatically dismiss allegations that do not rise to a Title IX violation, so either this school seriously overstepped (as the law firm is alleging), or the allegations are more serious than this article says. The school can charge someone with other student conduct violations outside of the Title IX definitions, but this article specifically says that it was a Title IX charge. If the school had a competent attorney, they would not have proceeded with such charges without the allegations being severe and pervasive. There was a court case last year (I think someone posted it on HB not too long ago) in which a college professor intentionally misgendered and mocked a student in class, was disciplined, but the school's actions were overturned in court based on freedom of speech and the professor won a settlement. That case was in a different district than this new case would be, but I think most school would be thinking about that kind of case when moving forward with charged based on pronouns and misgendering.

No reasonable school would file harassment charges for unintentional use of incorrect pronouns. We all widely accept that mistakes happen, but it is different when it is intentional, malicious, and repeated. I suppose if some a$$hole kid used someone's chosen pronouns and repeatedly bullied them and/or threatened them, it could be defined as harassment, and if sex or gender identity is the underlying reason, it would qualify as a Title IX violation.

If that is the case, this level of bullying should be taken seriously, don't you agree? 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Middle school kids picking on other middle school kids happens everyday. It usually means you get sent to the office, a call to the parents, detention, maybe suspension. Pronouns are pretty new and being redefined for whatever reason. Sexual harassment seems like a big escalation. There are actually lots of articles on this event, but most of the quotes I have seen so far come from the parents of the accused kids. I would just learn and use peoples names to avoid trouble.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, nic said:

Middle school kids picking on other middle school kids happens everyday. It usually means you get sent to the office, a call to the parents, detention, maybe suspension. Pronouns are pretty new and being redefined for whatever reason. Sexual harassment seems like a big escalation. There are actually lots of articles on this event, but most of the quotes I have seen so far come from the parents of the accused kids. I would just learn and use peoples names to avoid trouble.

Yes, going from "picking on" to "sexual harassment" is indeed a big escalation. In order to justify those charges, especially as a Title IX violation instead of your garden variety teasing/bullying, the totality of the alleged conduct better be pretty darn severe. If not, then the school messed up by filing these charges. I tried to look up the "lots of articles" you mentioned for more facts, or at least the actual allegations, but the facts of the case aren't available, only outrage from parents and attorneys who apparently don't understand Title IX. 

Other than the local news outlets in Wisconsin, the only national places where this is being picked up appears to be Fox News, the Daily Mail, and the New York Post. A schoolyard harassment case is certainly not national news, yet this particular case is being promoted by the right wing outlets to further their war against the tyranny of pronouns. The parents and attorneys are also recklessly putting their kids' names out there, now this is on the world wide web forever and ever, without actually completing the investigation. I guess stoking ignorant outrage for the culture war is more important than actually protecting your kids.  

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Yes, going from "picking on" to "sexual harassment" is indeed a big escalation. In order to justify those charges, especially as a Title IX violation instead of your garden variety teasing/bullying, the totality of the alleged conduct better be pretty darn severe. If not, then the school messed up by filing these charges. I tried to look up the "lots of articles" you mentioned for more facts, or at least the actual allegations, but the facts of the case aren't available, only outrage from parents and attorneys who apparently don't understand Title IX. 

Other than the local news outlets in Wisconsin, the only national places where this is being picked up appears to be Fox News, the Daily Mail, and the New York Post. A schoolyard harassment case is certainly not national news, yet this particular case is being promoted by the right wing outlets to further their war against the tyranny of pronouns. The parents and attorneys are also recklessly putting their kids' names out there, now this is on the world wide web forever and ever, without actually completing the investigation. I guess stoking ignorant outrage for the culture war is more important than actually protecting your kids.  

The only thing I'll add to this discussion.

If the parents and the school disagree with what happened with a student.  9/10 times the school is the one being honest...

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If the parents and the school disagree with what happened with a student.  9/10 times the school is the one being honest...

Hahaha!

Oh s#!t...get ready for some backlash!  

22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

100% this. You read the mom's quotes in that news article and you know immediately what type of parent that is, and it isn't one that you would give the benefit of the doubt to in a situation like this. Come on, we all know that mom.

Interested to see more factual details come out.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

100% this. You read the mom's quotes in that news article and you know immediately what type of parent that is, and it isn't one that you would give the benefit of the doubt to in a situation like this. Come on, we all know that mom.

Interested to see more factual details come out.

Ummmm...

That is impressive!  Ha

On 5/16/2022 at 12:30 PM, Ulty said:

The more I think about this, I don’t think this is sexual harassment. That is way too big of an escalation.  It’s likely schoolyard bullying. Some kids decided to pick on someone that wanted a plural pronoun. That warrants a call to the parents first. If that doesn’t work, suspension. If that didn’t work, a longer suspension then expulsion. Done. No national news needed. 

• Plus1 1