The Democrat Utopia

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

So the researchers have decided it’s just social stress and not stress in general that makes people sleep less?  Only minorities have social stress? Other types of stress don’t affect sleep?   Seems legit.   

I could understand the noise issue, but that seems to be an income factor/choice to live in a heavily populated urban area/downtown type area factor (which many different races choose to do) 

I'm really wishing I didn't already have three TOS warnings. 

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

"have put certain groups in a position to have a tougher time getting a full night's sleep"

Thank you sooo much for helping me along.    since you like using er words from an analytical prospective, Tougher is quite subjective.  What factors did they control for…..existing Health like weight/sleep apnea? Early morning lighting? Spine issues? Partner keeping them awake/waking them up during the night by snoring or moving? Kids in the house?  How much tougher?   If someone gets a “full nights sleep” and someone else gets 20 minutes less than a full nights sleep, is that really life affecting loss of sleep?  Different people require differing amounts of continuous sleep.   None of the above has anything to do solely with race.   

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

"Experts argue that puts them at higher risk for greater health problems."

How much higher?  And what health problem?  .05% higher chance of an MI event? 50% chance higher? Stroke risk? What percentage greater risk and what percentage is SOLELY a less than “a full nights sleep” contributing factor.  

Did the experts look at the already higher risk of health problems the group had for being overweight, uncontrolled diabetes, existing heart issues, etc?   Are they having worse health because they can’t sleep as well as a perfectly healthy person or can they not sleep as well because they are not as healthy as others.  Someone getting 7 hrs of continuous sleep vs someone getting 6- 6 1/2 hrs of continuous sleep I don’t think will be a deal breaker for declining someone’s health.  Many other things are a bigger factor. 

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Thank you sooo much for helping me along.    since you like using er words from an analytical prospective, Tougher is quite subjective.  What factors did they control for…..existing Health like weight/sleep apnea? Early morning lighting? Spine issues? Partner keeping them awake/waking them up during the night by snoring or moving? Kids in the house?  How much tougher?   If someone gets a “full nights sleep” and someone else gets 20 minutes less than a full nights sleep, is that really life affecting loss of sleep?  Different people require differing amounts of continuous sleep.   None of the above has anything to do solely with race.   

Is the premise really that hard for you to understand? 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Is the premise really that hard for you to understand? 

No.  I can’t help that the premise is wrong though.   

Do poor people tend to live in noisier environments? Sure.  Do poor white people living in the same area as poor black people have the same noise issue?   Sure do.   

BTW…Are people able to adjust to their noise environment in some cases over time?   Sleep studies suggest this to be the case.  Is there a difference in race?  No

Do unhealthy white people have the same issue sleeping as unhealthy black people controlling for other factors?  I can’t find a study that shows any difference.   

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

No.  I can’t help that the premise is wrong though.   

Do poor people tend to live in noisier environments? Sure.  Do poor white people living in the same area as poor black people have the same noise issue?   Sure do.   

BTW…Are people able to adjust to their noise environment in some cases over time?   Sleep studies suggest this to be the case.  Is there a difference in race?  No

Do unhealthy white people have the same issue sleeping as unhealthy black people controlling for other factors?  I can’t find a study that shows any difference.   

It's not hard to understand that issues affecting the underclass more directly affect people of color — who make up a larger portion of the underclass than their minority numbers would suggest. Why is that?  Some people would say systemic racism, but only people who are correct. 

Racial inequity in healthcare is stunning by itself, including the profound difference in what doctors prescribe for black patients vs. white patients. Racially based economic inequities -- including those facing middle class blacks   — are well documented. Everyone shares the burden of raising kids, but even successful Black parents have to have The Talk with their teenage kids, and if you allow yourself a smidge of empathy you'll realize that's another level of anxiety most white parents don't have to experience.  Do you really think the stress level is the same for any black person getting pulled over by a policeman?  Or, you know, all the other awful racist s#!t that you simply don't have to deal with? Can't imagine it's calming to see Confederate flags and swastikas reemerge, and one of the ruling parties helping normalize the folks advocating race war. 

Most people don't like living in noisy, crowded, crime-ridden neighborhoods where the city chooses to locate its toxic landfills. Do I have it correctly that your advice is to  simply move?  In case you didn't notice, white people made that choice decades ago. They had more choices. 

The non-racial portion of class inequity is also part of the mix.

This sleep study was just a piece of a bigger story, one that's easier for certain people to mock without any genuine reflection. Or, you know, reading beyond the headline. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Racial inequity in healthcare is stunning by itself, including the profound difference in what doctors prescribe for black patients vs. white patients.

Outside of opioids, what would you be referring to?  As a counter to that, we are constantly reminded about the over prescribing of opioids (which as studies note, greatly affects white patients more than AA patients) and the dangers of that.   One would think, maybe the black population was getting the better end of the long term deal on pain management under prescribing.   Worth looking into the long term overall outcomes.  

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

even successful Black parents have to have The Talk with their teenage kids, and if you allow yourself a smidge of empathy you'll realize that's another level of anxiety most white parents don't have to experience. 

The Talk about respect towards law enforcement is probably more harrowing for AA’s than Caucasians. 

• Plus1 1

Yes, my black friends did in fact give the talk to their kids at night as like a bed time story.  They told me about it and that it was to help "prepare them" for life.

I have also had 4-5 students tell me that their parents gave them the talk.

Also have had about a dozen students tell me that their parents gave them the talk about the crazy white adults that think they are "saving them" 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see archy quietly accept and then abandon the premise that the argument says ONLY black people and nobody else have a tough time sleeping.

Would've been nice to see the acknowledgment, but we can judge the tree by its fruit and celebrate a level up in thinking where we find it.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1