Keyshawn Jr. Gone if Riley is Fired?

Again, the point isn't that this is harming Keyshawn. It's that the people who are acting like this make themselves look like ass, and it's unfortunate to see Nebraska fans saying stuff like that. Of course, this is the internet and unfortunate comments are inevitable.

The question here is, looking at that, do we say "that's not us" or "stop complaining about it"? Feels to me like there's a really, really easy, no-cost answer to that question.

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, zoogs said:

This is so clearly not about what KJJ can and can't take but about how Nebraska fans conduct ourselves. What we consider fine and what we consider beneath us. It's possible to not be a fan of KJ without endorsing or excusing away the comments quoted above. None of those people would go up to Keyshawn and say it to his face, which I suppose makes them real internet tough guys.

None?  I am one person who said something negative at first.  But, I am actually the same on a message board as I am in real life.  I have always made it a practice to say (or type) only what I would actually say to a person face to face.  I'm actually known for that in real life.  So, maybe MOST wouldn't say it to someone, but I certainly would.

Just now, Dilly Dilly said:

None?  I am one person who said something negative at first.  But, I am actually the same on a message board as I am in real life.  I have always made it a practice to say (or type) only what I would actually say to a person face to face.  I'm actually known for that in real life.  So, maybe MOST wouldn't say it to someone, but I certainly would.

I was going to shoot back a "well, congratulations?", but from your posts in this thread, I think you're a good example of practicing a good rule. You were critical, which is fine. It wasn't about being negative or not; these were the comments from NM's post above that I was responding to. I concur with what she said about seeing them. 

I get why people talk like this, too. Over time I've become a lot more sensitive to things like this, and how we talk about our own players (or others'!) from our armchairs. I would hope that if the people who said the below followed your rule, they wouldn't have posted any of these things. And if they still would have, hopefully they're not people I have to run into in real life:

• "Add Keyshawn Jr. to the list of "famous sons" (with Puff Daddy's kid, Snoop Dogg's kid) who have done nothing at the colleges they initially went to play football."
  • "what did KJJ actually contribute here, other than to the local weed economy?"
  • "Oh no, a kid who never saw the field, couldn’t even figure out how to hide smoking weed and make it through his freshman year without getting kicked off the team isn’t coming back? The program is truly over"
  • "We'll be down one chubby wideout. I hope we can get by without him."
  • "I really think jr. is convinced he can ride on his dad’s coattails. He got off to a poor start, give me a hard working, dedicated kid with even less talent or name recognition!"

I am one of the ones quoted in your list, actually.  (The local weed economy comment was mine). But anyway - I usually get upset with people who trash players or recruits so i can see why it upsets some.  However, I do get a little ticked when it comes to people like Senior who throw out these types of threats.  My comment really wasn't ever directed at KJJ - more towards his dad with his threats to pull his son if Riley was fired.  (Though now I can see why it comes across as a shot to KJJ).

4 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I was going to shoot back a "well, congratulations?", but from your posts in this thread, I think you're a good example of practicing a good rule. You were critical, which is fine. It wasn't about being negative or not; these were the comments from NM's post above that I was responding to. I concur with what she said about seeing them. 

I get why people talk like this, too. Over time I've become a lot more sensitive to things like this, and how we talk about our own players (or others'!) from our armchairs. I would hope that if the people who said the below followed your rule, they wouldn't have posted any of these things. And if they still would have, hopefully they're not people I have to run into in real life:

Ah, I see. I can definitely understand being ticked at Keyshawn about this. Especially for the bush league comments directed towards Tommy. Completely understand his fury over Riley's dismissal and why they'd look elsewhere without Riley here; lots of people choose programs for coaches they trust. Senior may regret burning that goodwill, though. I suspect the next coach will be a pretty good one :) 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Ah, I see. I can definitely understand being ticked at Keyshawn about this. Especially for the bush league comments directed towards Tommy. Completely understand his fury over Riley's dismissal and why they'd look elsewhere without Riley here; lots of people choose programs for coaches they trust. Senior may regret burning that goodwill, though. I suspect the next coach will be a pretty good one :) 

That, and his son seems to still be very into Nebraska based on his Twitter feed.

6 hours ago, Big Red Commie said:

I predict hes gonzo, back to Cali where its warm and he doesnt have to compete for PT w a guy named "Spielman".

Also a quick note...no one in or joining our receiving corps will be short of opportunities. We are very thin at that position and there are plenty of snaps to go around.

• Mavric changed the title to Keyshawn Jr. Gone if Riley is Fired?