How to break it to boss you're leaving?

I just got a new job, which is great.

I really like my current boss on a personal level but she is a really bad supervisor.

One of the big reasons I looked for another job was because of her micromanaging. But I want to escape the meeting without either of us being... emotional. She apparently got mad at the previous guy who left, and she's never been good at accepting any kind of critique. I don't plan on telling her what I dislike but quitting is a critique of its own.

So, can I get some thoughts from people who've left a job where they liked the boss?

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I just got a new job, which is great.

I really like my current boss on a personal level but she is a really bad supervisor.

One of the big reasons I looked for another job was because of her micromanaging. But I want to escape the meeting without either of us being... emotional. She apparently got mad at the previous guy who left, and she's never been good at accepting any kind of critique. I don't plan on telling her what I dislike but quitting is a critique of its own.

So, can I get some thoughts from people who've left a job where they liked the boss?

I left one job where I loved my boss, I told him, we shook hands we made jokes it was great...

I have left a job where my boss was/is one of the worst people I have ever met.  I did the same thing.  But I did it while gritting my teeth.  Had I said the things I wanted to say I would still be there saying all the things I had to say.

Sorry that doesn't help more.  

I would recommend just thanking them and explain that you think the new job provides a good opportunity for you. If they can’t support that or take offense, they’re kind of a dick. I’ve had to fire quite a few people and I’ve had quite a few quit. I’ve found it’s best to not burn any bridges and there is no use in actually being honest if you know it will upset the other person. I sure wouldn’t stress over how they’ll react, there is not much you can do about it so no sense worrying about it. Just try to make it as easy as possible and get the hell out.

• Plus1 1

My recommendation is to be not overly critical of your current boss on your way out.  It sounds like she wouldn't take it very well anyway.  Just put in your notice, explain you are leaving for another opportunity and leave it at that.  If your current boss continues to lose employees, she will probably start to wonder why (or her boss will wonder why).

• Plus1 1

I echo the other posters in the thread.  I've done HR/recruiting for several years and less is definitely more when it comes to putting in your notice.  Keep it short and professional, thank her and the company for the opportunity, give 2 weeks notice and explain you've landed a new opportunity that you couldn't pass up.  If your boss presses you for why you're leaving just reiterate that your new opportunity is one you couldn't pass up.  You don't owe your supervisor anything in terms of an explanation and frankly, you don't need to mess with an exit interview either unless you want to.  Your last couple weeks on the job might stink a little more given that you'll probably get micromanaged to a higher degree but just keep your head down and make a calendar counting down the days until you start your next role.

Direct from a book of scripts:

I've received a job offer from _______ which I've accept effective two week weeks from ______(today, etc).  I've gone over everything that I'm working on here, and I'll be able to complete most of my short term projects without incident or expense within the next two week (obviously adjust applied to your current job),  I'll prepare a list for those who will take over my long term projects.

If she gets angry or disrespectful- Was it a mistake to give you notice? Would you have preferred that I just leave?  I am more then happy to help with the transition but it is your decision if I stay and work out these two weeks.

You probably shouldn't criticize her at all.  You might have to forfeit the two week though.  That is your only leverage as you are a lame duck.  

On 12/21/2017 at 3:15 PM, Moiraine said:

Thanks all.

Except for knapp, GSG, and Redux.

I'VE ONLY QUIT ONE JOB. I DIDN'T REALLY TELL THEM ANYTHING. MY MANAGER KNEW I WAS LEAVING BECAUSE HE WAS LEAVING AS WELL. BUT MY "EXCUSE" TO THEM WAS THAT I WAS JUST MOVING BACK HOME BECAUSE I DIDN'T LIKE LIVING IN ARIZONA. IN REALITY, THE COMPANY WAS RUN USING HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL POLITICS BECAUSE (SHOCKINGLY) MOST OF THE MANAGERS AND SOME OF THE EMPLOYEES ALL WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL TOGETHER. I WROTE A RESIGNATION LETTER AND LEFT IT ON THE MANAGING MANAGER'S DESK. SHE TRIED TO GIVE ME A DOLLAR RAISE TO STAY :facepalm:

IN MY OPINION, AS LONG AS THERE WASN'T SOME BIG THING THAT HAPPENED TO CAUSE YOU TO LEAVE, THEN THEY CAN f#*k OFF WITH THEIR QUESTIONS ABOUT WHY YOU'RE LEAVING.  :dunno

• Plus1 1