Russia

50 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

In college I was in a choir that toured Germany.  I was amazed by the people that minimized what the Nazi's did.  They said it was part of war.

41 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm amazed by that, too. What were they saying?

I've traveled to Germany twice now for a total of about 3.5 weeks. Honestly, I didn't experience people with that attitude.  However, I didn't ask anyone either.

One interesting thing that I noticed though is how worn out their elderly people seemed.  I would see people my parent's age (born in early 30s) and they looked so much older.  I thought about how much they had seen, from the war as a kid, the total destruction of their cities and then the rebuild.  I would have loved to discuss it with them, but never had a chance.

7 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

It's difficult to remember, but not all Russians are the villain here, either. Just the ones enabling Putin, like Tucker Carlson. 

Do you actually believe Putin got permission from Tucker or any American to invade Ukraine?  What level of person am I dealing with here??

• Plus1 3
49 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Do you actually believe Putin got permission from Tucker or any American to invade Ukraine?  What level of person am I dealing with here??

putin thought he had divided NATO and felt emboldened to attack.    and today a significant part of the republican party admitted that they were going along with putins plans.  

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Scarlet said:

How long until Tucker asks "was this really the Russians that slaughtered these people?  How do we know? Maybe it was a Ukrainian false flag?  I'm just asking questions"?

@nic let us know please

I don’t know. I don’t watch Tucker….well not until the other day when I watched part of a show to see what the fuss is all about and reported back that he seems like a conspiracy theorist. You all should start a “Tucker is a piece of xxxx” topic. It would be a hot thread within the hour.

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, nic said:

I don’t know. I don’t watch Tucker….well not until the other day when I watched part of a show to see what the fuss is all about and reported back that he seems like a conspiracy theorist. You all should start a “Tucker is a piece of xxxx” topic. It would be a hot thread within the hour.

I’d say just put the complaints in the Media Bias thread and call it a day. 

I

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'm amazed by that, too. What were they saying?

I don't want to paint with a broad stroke.  It was one family we stayed with when we were going to visit one of the consecration camps.  This was the comment they made.  This was in 92.  I sensed some of it was embarrassment by the whole situation.  Our German hosts did not want to enter the place when we visited.  We we at Bergen Belsen.   

We also had to deal with some awkwardness with another host family in the old East Germany.  I commented how beautiful the church was we sang in.  The grandfather told us it was rebuilt in the 50's because the Americans blew it up.  I remember I was like, sorry??  Over all it was a great visit, but the war that happened 45 years before that did cause some awkward moments.

We all have bad things in our past.  America has plenty of them too.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

Interesting considering how obsessed you are with people posting his Russian propaganda takes in a thread about.... Russia.   If you can't figure out why that's salient to this thread then by all means carry on.  

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, nic said:

Why are you bothered so much by people pointing out prominent Americans that support Putin in this war?

• Plus1 3
42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why are you bothered so much by people pointing out prominent Americans that support Putin in this war?

It happens a lot. Daily at least. Maybe every few hours. It’s not just this topic. It’s lots of different topics. I think I know how you all feel about Tucker. I guess you all are venting or trying to somehow reduce his audience. Do you think you will convince ND Joe to stop watching? I prefer seeing news that I missed about what going on in Ukraine, but I guess I will have filter the posts instead.

• Plus1 3