Russia

35 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I think his views are on the fringe for some things, but on the pulse of citizens for others.

Some of the stances viewed as "disinformation" like vaccines for instance, are moving more mainstream.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/saradorn/2023/10/10/rfk-jr-launches-independent-2024-run-here-are-all-the-conspiracies-he-promotes-from-vaccines-to-mass-shootings/?sh=62761eb53cef

He does seem to want to put Americans first, which I think is a good thing. 

His vaccine takes are not moving more mainstream with actual scientists or withstanding any level of scientific rigor.  If you think his stance is moving more mainstream among the general public then that only shows disinformation does make an impact. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

51 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I think his views are on the fringe for some things, but on the pulse of citizens for others.

Some of the stances viewed as "disinformation" like vaccines for instance, are moving more mainstream.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/saradorn/2023/10/10/rfk-jr-launches-independent-2024-run-here-are-all-the-conspiracies-he-promotes-from-vaccines-to-mass-shootings/?sh=62761eb53cef

He does seem to want to put Americans first, which I think is a good thing. 

In fairness, some of the stances viewed as "disinformation" are, in fact, disinformation, and the fact that guys like RFK are moving them into the mainstream is a bad thing. 

The pulse of citizens right now is troubling in its own right. 

It's interesting because RFK has made his career as an environmental lawyer, very much engaged in climate change, and that doesn't align with folks attracted to his conspiracy-driven candidacy. 

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In fairness, some of the stances viewed as "disinformation" are, in fact, disinformation, and the fact that guys like RFK are moving them into the mainstream is a bad thing. 

The pulse of citizens right now is troubling in its own right. 

It's interesting because RFK has made his career as an environmental lawyer, very much engaged in climate change, and that doesn't align with folks attracted to his conspiracy-driven candidacy. 

I respectfully disagree with your main thrust here, as folks can have widely different takes on specific items of interest. Falling in line lock stock and barrel because one has a D or R next to your name is what got us here in the first place.

I keep an open mind. I have beliefs that span the spectrum from Liberal to Conservative ..drives my circle crazy.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I respectfully disagree with your main thrust here, as folks can have widely different takes on specific items of interest. Falling in line lock stock and barrel because one has a D or R next to your name is what got us here in the first place.

I keep an open mind. I have beliefs that span the spectrum from Liberal to Conservative ..drives my circle crazy.

I get it. We all have beliefs and opinions and it takes all kinds to make a society. I'm not talking about falling in line behind a D or an R. — RFK is a D legacy after all — I'm talking about concerted efforts to discredit facts and authority figures that requires some really scurrilous manipulation and outright lying, and that's where RFK is on vaccines and his own father's assassination. You just admitted many of these conspiracy beliefs are going mainstream, using an article that cites RFK's fraudulent leaps of logic. 

As the saying goes, you are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I get it. We all have beliefs and opinions and it takes all kinds to make a society. 

As the saying goes, you are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Agreed. And sometimes those fringe theories prove out. I've seen it several places that some conspiracy theories are the truth just waiting on more facts.

What I like (not) is when the two are juxtaposed and people then call out "sources" rather than admit the change.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

First of all, I never even knew there was an RFKjr until like a year ago.

His thoughts on his uncle and his Dad, well, he is closer to that and I give him a pass on that.  

I guess the biggest thing is, if he was not RFKjr, he would have no platform, so maybe he should not be running because clearly he is only even getting air time because of his last name. 

Final thoughts.  Would LOVE to drink with him would love to hear him tell some stories would probably have a blast with him but he is not a serious candidate.  

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Agreed. And sometimes those fringe theories prove out. I've seen it several places that some conspiracy theories are the truth just waiting on more facts.

What I like (not) is when the two are juxtaposed and people then call out "sources" rather than admit the change.

This isn't a case of waiting for all the facts. The facts have been in on vaccines for decades. And they overwhelming show vaccines work and do not cause autism. RFKjr is just a crackpot with a famous political name.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
47 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This isn't a case of waiting for all the facts. The facts have been in on vaccines for decades. And they overwhelming show vaccines work and do not cause autism. RFKjr is just a crackpot with a famous political name.

The autism one is maybe the most nutso of all.  

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's kind of you, but the rest of the Kennedy family has disavowed him. 

Yeah but who cares?  Families fight and get mad at each other.  It happens.

It doesn't mean they don't love the guy or don't care about him.  It just means they don't like some of the s#!t he has said.

Plus, the Kennedy Family is kind of sleazy anyway. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

CNN: Senate passes $95 billion package with aid for Ukraine and Israel, setting up showdown with the House

All said and done, it took the neocons less than a week to write/pass this amendment and then pass the bill. I think it's hilarious Rand Paul was grandstanding about how he drug the process out :blink:. The vote was an easy 70-29. The amendment has all the spending. There's hardly a paragraph that doesn't spend $100s of millions. Space Force got $12M, FEMA only $10M:

H.R. 815: RELIEVE Act vote

S.Amdt.1388 to H.R.815 text

I can't wait for the the exact opposite to happen in the House...

• Worth a Look 1