Russia

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

Ha!

I was just going to link the poll that says Repubs like Putin more than the POTUS.  But the same poll also shows dems preferring Putin over Trump.

Didn't feel like going back and forth about it.;)\

The radicals in our country kind of suck....left and right!

Half the country hates the other half and the last two years have made it worse. It's not really half though. Maybe 1/3 hates another 1/3.

12 hours ago, nic said:

I knew we were going to end up on Tucker somewhere in this conversation. I will try and remember to ask the most right wing friend I can think of what he thinks of Russia and Putin and the Ukraine war. I will report back. I should be able to tell if they watch Mr. Tucker.

I have an idea what he will say. 

“well, if we didn’t have such a weak President, Putin would have never done it. Trump was the strongest President ever against Russia.  He never would have invaded with Trump president. Now that he has, why do we care?  This is Putin’s business, not ours. Wouldnt it be nice if we had a strong President like Trump or Putin?  Why aren’t we spending this money investigating her emails, Hunter’s laptop and Fauci.”

• Fire 1
23 minutes ago, nic said:

I'm not sure how huge anything is anymore. When we found out the number of front line Russian generals who were getting killed, the desertion rates and the massive economic hits Russia was taking, everything suddenly looked unsustainable for Russia in Ukraine.

That's already several news cycles ago, and in true Russia fashion Putin seems willing to take several years and hundreds of thousands of deaths to claim victory.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not sure how huge anything is anymore. When we found out the number of front line Russian generals who were getting killed, the desertion rates and the massive economic hits Russia was taking, everything suddenly looked unsustainable for Russia in Ukraine.

That's already several news cycles ago, and in true Russia fashion Putin seems willing to take several years and hundreds of thousands of deaths to claim victory.

It's all been huge.  Remember when Kyiv was supposed to fall within 72 hours?  Russia is completely floundering and bogged down in a war it was supposed to conclude months ago.  This from the second strongest military in the world.  Did you expect Russia to capitulate by now?

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

It's all been huge.  Remember when Kyiv was supposed to fall within 72 hours?  Russia is completely floundering and bogged down in a war it was supposed to conclude months ago.  This from the second strongest military in the world.  Did you expect Russia to capitulate by now?

From the tone of the post it seemed like the 200 elite Russian soldiers killed should be considered a game-changer. But in a war of attrition, it's not.

Cumulatively, the Ukrainian resistance has surprised most everybody --- certainly Putin — but now it shouldn't be surprising if Russia continues to take body blows while slowly advancing, capitulation not being an option.

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have an idea what he will say. 

“well, if we didn’t have such a weak President, Putin would have never done it. Trump was the strongest President ever against Russia.  He never would have invaded with Trump president. Now that he has, why do we care?  This is Putin’s business, not ours. Wouldnt it be nice if we had a strong President like Trump or Putin?  Why aren’t we spending this money investigating her emails, Hunter’s laptop and Fauci.”

I am looking for general love of Putin and Russia…or a softening of opinion on Russia which you point out above.

my answers would be …we have no way of knowing what Putin would have done with Trump around, but Afghanistan did make us look bad and I am still sour about that. Especially since we are helping an Afghan family and hear stuff about those they left behind.  No way was Trump the strongest on Russia. Not even close. The Gipper went toe to toe and won and he had Alzheimer’s. :D I am behind helping Ukraine because Russia has always been the enemy and with Putin in charge they are back in that state. I would love to see them wreaked and Putin displaced. I think they are investigating Hunters laptop, but per usual nothing will happen, and there was a coordinated effort to suppress that story during the election.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

From the tone of the post it seemed like the 200 elite Russian soldiers killed should be considered a game-changer. But in a war of attrition, it's not.

Cumulatively, the Ukrainian resistance has surprised most everybody --- certainly Putin — but now it shouldn't be surprising if Russia continues to take body blows while slowly advancing, capitulation not being an option.

If true, 200 elite troops is not a war ending event, but it would be a nut punch. You are right, Putin will bury his country if he has too.

2 hours ago, nic said:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/08/26/mckenzie-bucha-pkg.cnn

Video about what the Russians did in greater Kyiv. Nothing new here, I guess. A reminder of how brutal they were.

i'll add this link....read the thread and watch the videos for a view into the russian mindset.  it's obvious the russians view the ukrainians the  same way germans viewed the jews 

2 hours ago, commando said:

i'll add this link....read the thread and watch the videos for a view into the russian mindset.  it's obvious the russians view the ukrainians the  same way germans viewed the jews 

This isn't the general view of Russians toward Ukrainians. But the Russians have been portraying the Ukrainians as Nazis for awhile now, including editing their textbooks. It's hard to tell how pervasive it is due to people not being able to speak freely there, but of course there is going to be an element than believes everything the state media tells them.