Russia

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe it would have made no difference, but has anyone else wondered how Trump’s relationship with China and Iran may have impacted this war? Maybe without the tariffs and bluster and pulling out of treaties, they would have been less likely to work with Putin. For one thing the tariffs and treaty could have been used as threats. 

What??? You mean unnecessarily flaming enemies drives them closer to our other enemies and further from the goal of peace between the nations? OMG its like everything Trump said about what a great negotiator he was is a lie! How could this be?

But seriously- yup. Not only did he weaken relationships with our allies he also cemented alliances between our enemies. BeRsT PReSiDAnT EVAR!! You can do it Brandon! 

• Plus1 1

On 7/19/2022 at 12:46 PM, Moiraine said:

Maybe it would have made no difference, but has anyone else wondered how Trump’s relationship with China and Iran may have impacted this war? Maybe without the tariffs and bluster and pulling out of treaties, they would have been less likely to work with Putin. For one thing the tariffs and treaty could have been used as threats. 

Which tariffs have Biden eliminated on China since being in office?  China was always going to be on Russia's side here.  They are keeping a very close eye because it more than likely will eventually give them the green light to invade Taiwan.  I'm still somewhat surprised they didn't launch an attack within hours/days of Russia invading Ukraine.  China is not a friend of the U.S.  This isn't a left/right issue.    

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Which tariffs have Biden eliminated on China since being in office?  China was always going to be on Russia's side here.  They are keeping a very close eye because it more than likely will eventually give them the green light to invade Taiwan.  I'm still somewhat surprised they didn't launch an attack within hours/days of Russia invading Ukraine.  China is not a friend of the U.S.  This isn't a left/right issue.    

Not dropping the tariffs is stupid and I think Biden is stupid for it, as was using tariffs when we did, regardless of who did them.

I don’t think China is our friend (I mentioned us threatening them in the post you quoted) but there is such a thing as leverage. We don’t have as much leverage as we had before the tariffs occured. China likely didn’t know how they would handle the tariffs back when they originally occured and it might have seemed like a small sacrifice to them now to not increase trade with Russia during this war in exchange for us not penalizing them.