Russia

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think this will sort of be it in the end...Russia will get most of wanted it wanted while also f#&%ing with economies around the world including their own.

But Russia fully intended to sack Kiev, depose Zelensky, and reacquire all of Ukraine for itself. Taking part of the Donbas after suffering heavy casualties and international shame surely isn't close to what Putin wanted. Plus the self-inflicted economic hardship you mention, and actually pulling more countries into NATO. But you might have to give him an off-ramp, then let the Donbas take care of itself in a few years.

The other scenario is the original scenario:  Ukraine can't possibly outlast Russia if Russia is willing to do this for years. 

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This story has sort of shifted to the back burner, and I have no idea where the narrative is now: is this daily life for the foreseeable future, Russia making life miserable for Ukraine while achieving none of its goals? 

I wonder if anyone is entertaining the scenario where Ukraine surrenders one or more if its Russia-leaning Eastern provinces in return for a Russian withdrawal from the rest of the country, and Putin pretends this is all he really wanted. 

I wonder if it's too late for that. I thought they should do that like 2 months ago.

12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder if it's too late for that. I thought they should do that like 2 months ago.

This is obviously hurting Russia's economy, military, and pride. And while Ukraine can feel bolstered by its success, they are still having their residential cities bombed to rubble. Seems there should be at least some half-hearted peace talks and terms being floated around, but I've heard nothing about it. 

14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Thats what they did with Crimea. All it accomplished was giving Putin time for shadow ops and troop build up for the next strike. Nothing will be enough for him. Just like the Vikings, pay them to go away and they'll soon be back for the next payment.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Thats what they did with Crimea. All it accomplished was giving Putin time for shadow ops and troop build up for the next strike. Nothing will be enough for him. Just like the Vikings, pay them to go away and they'll soon be back for the next payment.

It would give him more time to die, but who knows what his replacement will be.

Just now, DevoHusker said:

I am not nearly savvy enough...but if you are, go for it!

:woo

i know there are ways to hide who you are....but i don't know how to use them.    if i was confident in my abilities to hide myself from polonium tea (sp?) i would certainly do it.   lol

• Oh Yeah! 2

Maybe it would have made no difference, but has anyone else wondered how Trump’s relationship with China and Iran may have impacted this war? Maybe without the tariffs and bluster and pulling out of treaties, they would have been less likely to work with Putin. For one thing the tariffs and treaty could have been used as threats. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe it would have made no difference, but has anyone else wondered how Trump’s relationship with China and Iran may have impacted this war? Maybe without the tariffs and bluster and pulling out of treaties, they would have been less likely to work with Putin. For one thing the tariffs and treaty could have been used as threats. 

I had not thought about that, but it's possible.