Russia

3 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Tell me loyal Ds.  If you are outraged by Putin's invasion of Western Ukraine in 2022 then why wasn't Obama-Biden angry about Putin's invasion of Eastern Ukraine in 2014?  Proportionally you should have been half as mad.  But it got 5 minutes of news coverage,  centered on Obama's complaining about toxic masculinity

What?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

CNN isn't really bothering with that SOTU so I won't either.  

Tell me loyal Ds.  If you are outraged by Putin's invasion of Western Ukraine in 2022 then why wasn't Obama-Biden angry about Putin's invasion of Eastern Ukraine in 2014?  Proportionally you should have been half as mad.  But it got 5 minutes of news coverage,  centered on Obama's complaining about toxic masculinity

Are you drunk, or just feeling like s#!tposting?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

CNN isn't really bothering with that SOTU so I won't either.  

Can't afford to fixate on what's done and live in the past. I'm older and wiser now and what we're doing is exactly what we should be doing if we're determined to help Ukraine while blunting the likelihood of WW3. He touted himself and someone who made his bones in foreign policy and he's handled this masterfully so far. It's a complete 180 from Trump's complete inability to rally our allies which is incredibly welcome, for me at least.

More to the point, this is one of the most clear-cut distillations of good vs. evil and right vs. wrong on the world stage in my lifetime. Sometimes just doing the right thing regardless of outcome is underrated.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3

Back to today, it is starting to look like the Winter War between Russia and Finland.  Russia won but looked so incompetent that various other powers thought the nation was a hollow shell. Fox analysts say that despite logistical problems, the Russian convoy will have Kiev surrounded fairly soon. 

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Can't afford to fixate on what's done and live in the past. I'm older and wiser now and what we're doing is exactly what we should be doing if we're determined to help Ukraine while blunting the likelihood of WW3. He touted himself and someone who made his bones in foreign policy and he's handled this masterfully so far. It's a complete 180 from Trump's complete inability to rally our allies which is incredibly welcome, for me at least.

More to the point, this is one of the most clear-cut distillations of good vs. evil and right vs. wrong on the world stage in my lifetime. Sometimes just doing the right thing regardless of outcome is underrated.

An actual reply.  you are saying that while Biden may have erred in the past but he is getting it right now?  Can you please give me an example or two of what Biden has done that is working?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, funhusker said:

What's stopping the US from supplying some planes that "just so happen" to be piloted by USAF pilots?  Could we dress them as Ukrainian and have them bomb the s#!t out of these convoys?  

What if we aim some missiles at the convoy from a base in Poland? Trained NATO troops set up everything and just have some Ukrainian refugee pull the trigger.  Would that be okay as far as all these treaties go?

What matters is whether Russia thinks we were involved. And I doubt Poland is going to want missiles fired from within Poland or even near the border.

4 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

An actual reply.  you are saying that while Biden may have erred in the past but he is getting it right now?  Can you please give me an example or two of what Biden has done that is working?

Yeah I mean his only other notable move was Afghanistan which was the correct choice but poorly executed. A mixed bag for sure considering that but so far he's nailing this.

Stitching the West back together after Trump preferred division and nationalism was critical. The band is back together and we have offered a very stiff, united penalty for Putin's misconduct. We're punishing them to the maximum practical extent without directly entering the fray and risking a much larger, more dangerous conflict.

Coordinating joint action between everyone is a tough job. Everyone has to be on the same page or the most effective stuff won't get agreed upon because this country or that disagreed. He's done a good job being our counterpart for that and helping rally other countries to get on board. Stuff like kicking Russia out of SWIFT, closing much of the world's airspace and sanctioning not only their private banks but the central bank are incredibly impactful. It may not stop Russia's current plans but they're now completely isolated from the free world.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Yeah I mean his only other notable move was Afghanistan which was the correct choice but poorly executed. A mixed bag for sure considering that but so far he's nailing this.

Stitching the West back together after Trump preferred division and nationalism was critical. The band is back together and we have offered a very stiff, united penalty for Putin's misconduct. We're punishing them to the maximum practical extent without directly entering the fray and risking a much larger, more dangerous conflict.

Coordinating joint action between everyone is a tough job. Everyone has to be on the same page or the most effective stuff won't get agreed upon because this country or that disagreed. He's done a good job being our counterpart for that and helping rally other countries to get on board. Stuff like kicking Russia out of SWIFT, closing much of the world's airspace and sanctioning not only their private banks but the central bank are incredibly impactful. It may not stop Russia's current plans but they're now completely isolated from the free world.

Unfortunately what Joe took away from this is the same thing Charlie Brown hears when his teacher speaks. Get OAN or Trump to say it if you want to get through to him.

I’m done with people like that. He can whine about not getting an actual response all he wants. IMO he doesn’t deserve one.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The US and other big boys don’t appear to be the leaders in all this. Initially it was puny sanctions and no troops. That was the message. It was not until Ukraine took some punches and stood their ground that their neighbors got involved. Then the big boys decided to do more. Look at the turn around Germany did… sitting on the sidelines to sending weapons. Ukraine is the leader. The big boys look like they are leading from behind. Better late than never I guess. It’s great to see countries standing up to Russia. It will send a good message to China when they think about Taiwan.

13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think if I was the president of the U.S. I would follow the other NATO countries' lead here about getting involved. It should have to be okay with all of the NATO countries which border Belarus or Russia, since they are the most in danger.

I originally signed up to Huskerboard to warn you what would happen if you joined that conference. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

You are true to the core.  We are not going to agree on much of anything so I can only offer running comments.

We were chased out of Afghanistan and our equipment was captured. It was a catastrophe. 

On the West/NATO, I've read that Obama/Biden reunified the alliances after Bush/Trump weakened them.  But I'm not sure what that means.  They clearly prefer to deal with Biden because he will not push them to spend more on their military. Europe is agreeing to sanctions on top of sanctions but are really wishy washy on the armed support, as is Biden.  

Biden got on board with supporting the Ukranian fighters; very late.  He is a rusty weathervane moving after everyone else felt the winds of change.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, teachercd said:

ab5e79c3bc6e64565ccd97817921ca6e.jpgOkay, which poster is each Wolverine?  

Clearly I am one of the first HS kids that was shot an is now hanging out the window.

Obviously I am the one with the beret and bad attitude.

Things are different now.