Under the Radar Things You're Still Salty About

29 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It's not extreme at all. He did basically the same season every season, and they were not screwed out of that championship. There was time left on the clock when the ball touched the ground. It's annoying when people whine about that (yes, I know that's the point of this thread, so I'm not telling people not to). I can't relate to wanting to win a game on a wrong result.

His best years, imo, were 2009 and 2010. Every year after that was 9-10 wins and blowouts in every important game. We had plenty of data points to realize it wasn't going to change.

There's a very slight chance he could have won one, but the viewpoint that he wouldn't have is not in the least bit extreme. He was given more than enough time to win one, especially given the bats#!t craziness.

and The Dude is right. People here compare him to Saban all the time. Maybe I don't watch enough Alabama games but I haven't seen Saban act as crazy as Pelini.

we only see the ball go behind a guy on the sidelines then we see the ball come back up...we technically never see it hit "the ground" because of the dude in the all tan outfit.  Now, clearly we "know" that it hit the ground but we don't actually see it happen.  

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, teachercd said:

we only see the ball go behind a guy on the sidelines then we see the ball come back up...we technically never see it hit "the ground" because of the dude in the all tan outfit.  Now, clearly we "know" that it hit the ground but we don't actually see it happen.  

So is the question whether gravity existed during that moment? Because the clock still says 0:01 after the ball bounces up (or if gravity doesn't exist, floats up without having hit the ground).

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

So is the question whether gravity existed during that moment? Because the clock still says 0:01 after the ball bounces up (or if gravity doesn't exist, floats up without having hit the ground).

I guess the question is...did the ball ever hit anything at all?

Actually, I am friends with that ref...needless to say I felt bad for him having to make that call.  Clearly it is the right call, we just never see it hit anything.

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That, and if you follow the ball in that video and stop it right when it hits, there is clearly 0:01 left.  (Or time it for when the ball would have hit, since it's behind sideline guy and you can't actually see it.)  

=========================  

I actually sort of like the outcome of this play.  The refs eventually got it right when they put a second back on the clock.  But it puts an asterisk next to the Whorns' win and conf championship.  It propelled Texas into the MNC title game with Bama.  (Which they lost.)  But what everyone remembers from that season is the refs helping out Mack's poor ole Whorns by giving them more time on the clock.  lol 

• Plus1 1

I'm not terribly salty over this; nor was I ever... but when I first heard the news that Riley was hired to be our new HC, I was a little... underwhelmed.

After everything that has transpired, I'm a tiny bit salty over that hire still; but the Frost hire has quelled that quite a bit.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

So we're arguing about one guy who would never have won a conference championship here over another guy who would never have won a conference championship here. They both were bad in their own special ways. It just took less time to realize Riley wouldn't win a championship.

Also, Riley failing doesn't mean firing Pelini was a mistake. We should have fired Pelini a year earlier than we did. Luckily we don't have to "take" either of them anymore.

Pelini could have if we stayed in the Big XII. Stopping the run wasn't his priority. Firing Bo and hiring Riley allowed us to get Frost... but I am kind of salty we were stiffed of another Eichorst hire. 

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Pelini could have if we stayed in the Big XII. Stopping the run wasn't his priority. Firing Bo and hiring Riley allowed us to get Frost... but I am kind of salty we were stiffed of another Eichorst hire.

Maybe. I think it unlikely, but it was more likely than winning the B1G.

6 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Borland body slamming TMart and no call.  Anybody else think it was weird years later when Borland quit football due to the dangers yet he was the one doing the illegal hits.  Never liked that guy.  

I hated Borland bc he played for Wiscy, but I loved how he played the game.  Too bad his career ended so soon.  

21 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It's not extreme at all. He did basically the same season every season, and they were not screwed out of that championship. There was time left on the clock when the ball touched the ground. It's annoying when people whine about that (yes, I know that's the point of this thread, so I'm not telling people not to). I can't relate to wanting to win a game on a wrong result.

His best years, imo, were 2009 and 2010. Every year after that was 9-10 wins and blowouts in every important game. We had plenty of data points to realize it wasn't going to change.

There's a very slight chance he could have won one, but the viewpoint that he wouldn't have is not in the least bit extreme. He was given more than enough time to win one, especially given the bats#!t craziness.

and The Dude is right. People here compare him to Saban all the time. Maybe I don't watch enough Alabama games but I haven't seen Saban act as crazy as Pelini.

Saying he never would have won a conference title when he had to have three plays go terribly wrong in the last minute to lose one and had a solid lead in a second one is not being honest about the situation.

• Plus1 3
34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Saying he never would have won a conference title when he had to have three plays go terribly wrong in the last minute to lose one and had a solid lead in a second one is not being honest about the situation.

He had 7 years without one and it went downhill after 2010. What about 2011-2014 made you think he could win one after that?

We're talking about the future Pelini would have had if he'd stayed. It's not relevant that there were close championship games in the past with Suh and David in the Big 12 if he was trending far away from doing that again. We can use what happened after that to inform our opinions. All signs pointed to it never happening unless you're not being honest about the situation*. We were choking on most big games. I already stated there was a slight chance if we'd stayed in the Big 12.

I thought it obvious from my original post that I was being hyperbolic using the word "never" because I thought the argument was silly. Ya, there was an extremely slight chance Pelini or Riley could have won a B1G championship with another 10 years.

* I try not to talk that way, since people can have different, honest opinions about the same thing. But figured I'd use your words. I can't really relate to someone thinking he'd get over the hump given all the blowouts after 2010, and I was with Pelini and defending him all the way thru the final Wisconsin blowout. I hate it when people bag on our current coaches.

Edited by Moiraine

The 09' B12 championship game was more than just the second added back on. The fact that Mack Brown even had the power to make them replay that was insane. I seem to remember maybe one other time ever that a game has ended and then got reviewed for time.  That and some really questionable calls throughout that game (including a phantom PI call) and the following year pointed to what on the surface seemed to be a pattern of bias. I would bet big money if the teams were reversed we would not have got that second put back on. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

The 09' B12 championship game was more than just the second added back on. The fact that Mack Brown even had the power to make them replay that was insane. I seem to remember maybe one other time ever that a game has ended and then got reviewed for time.  That and some really questionable calls throughout that game (including a phantom PI call) and the following year pointed to what on the surface seemed to be a pattern of bias. I would bet big money if the teams were reversed we would not have got that second put back on. 

Why do you think Mack Brown "had the power" ? He was asking for more time like all coaches would do in that moment. Osborne did it in the '93 Orange Bowl and they added time back for us to attempt the field goal. FSU had started to go onto the field. They didn't have instant replay then, either. They didn't do that because Osborne "had to the power" anymore than they did it for Mack Brown.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1