With limited media coverage of practice...

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So it’s Sam because he is the most outspoken about it and that’s also why people seem to not like Sam?  

Maybe!  I don't really know.  I hardly even know who wrote the article that I read.  Teacher trick...don't look at the name of the persons paper, that way you can grade it fairly.

Teacher trick #2...give more scantron tests so you don't have to waste your time reading papers.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

We learn almost nothing more from open practices than we do from closed practices, so it really doesn't bother me. The reporters just have more BS to write when they're open and don't have to figure out a way to make the same exact sound bytes into different stories from the others.

Tanner Lee just completed a 17 yard pass to DPE. It was really a crisp pass. Nice two handed snag by DPE also.

Edited by ScottyIce
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Maybe!  I don't really know.  I hardly even know who wrote the article that I read.  Teacher trick...don't look at the name of the persons paper, that way you can grade it fairly.

Teacher trick #2...give more scantron tests so you don't have to waste your time reading papers.

Teacher trick #3. Teach computer so that you can constantly look at Husker board and kids thing you are watching their computer screens.

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Frost wants a competitive edge and limited distractions as they install everything and change the culture.  There's no reason for the media to publish every single thing the team is doing in practices.  I always thought Riley was way too open with the media.

So did I.  Prior to the 2017 season Riley did an interview where he was talking about how he uses (if I recall correctly) an outside zone running play, to set up a specific pass route (post corner I think).  Then he was talking about blocking schemes and using the pull and pin concept.  I listened to him speak and I was like, you just gave away your trade secret.  Not that there was anything he said that wasn't already on film, but to spell it out like he did just amazed me.  

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't have a problem at all with closed practices.  Fans do not have some constitutional right to every little fact about what every player is doing in practice.

I like Frost controlling the messaging while he changes the culture around the program.

Media people who complain about it are only doing so because it makes their job harder.  I'm not crying tears over that.

What he ^^^ said x 1,000.

In regards to the comments on my comment above.:

I'm somewhat specific on it being traditional media (newspapers, radio, TV news, etc) rather than new media (Internet).

I'm also not advocating for anything specific. But it's is a pertinent question given that I don't have to wait for reporters to write articles over several days when I can just go online and watch the interview myself. There are some good arguments to be made either way. Enjoyed the comments.

I don't want to wade too deep into this, but it doesn't have to be all or nothing. It would be possible to have media at one or two practices, maybe not even even an entire practice, without ruining every secret that the coaches have up their sleeve.

Example. The media goes to one practice for roughly 40 minutes during position drills. Two weeks later, the media is there for a scrimmage. Nebraska runs 120 plays during the scrimmage, but the media is only there for 30-40 plays.

NOTE: This doesn't necessarily mean I'm upset with how spring practice is being run or how much media availability there is.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Do you think finding sources is easier or harder now?

Back in the day you hit up some bars, throw back a few and get some info.  I feel like that is much harder to do now BUT with social media and texting it might be easier to get sources?

Good reporters (just like good sales people or others who depend on relationships) should know how to build them in various circumstances.  It's actually (imo) a better deal for those reporters who are actually good at their job.  They'll do just as well, and will stand out against a large group of mediocre or poor (lazy) competitors.

I'll  tell you one thing that drives me up a wall when I watch the tv interviews post practice is 9/10 "journalists" ask closed ended questions.  Journalism 101 (or life) if you want to learn ANYTHING ask ONE question with an open end.  I.e. "Tell me how you feel practice is going this year."   Vs.  "Do you like practice this year?"  Sam's actually the only one I've heard ask good questions, and he's not consistent about it.