Mavric

JUCO OG Desmond Bland [Nebraska Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

This guy has to be the skinniest 290 lb OL in the country.  He looks like LB

These are the type of guys we need. Not necessarily a skinny looking OL, but athletic Olineman. We are woefully unathletic on the Oline right now. The guys we have now footwork and movement is just not good for most part across the board.

This guy needs some technique work, but that can be taught. He has the physical qualities you want.

7 minutes ago, C N Red said:

These are the type of guys we need. Not necessarily a skinny looking OL, but athletic Olineman. We are woefully unathletic on the Oline right now. The guys we have now footwork and movement is just not good for most part across the board.

This guy needs some technique work, but that can be taught. He has the physical qualities you want.

I'm with you here.  

12 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Quite possibly one of the most important recruits we have locked in so far if not the most important.

After watching saturday- I will be the most excited about OL commits moving forward.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Hope the Bell departure doesn't effect this one. 

I Was thinking the same thing. Having a pipeline to Arizona western could be important

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

I Was thinking the same thing. Having a pipeline to Arizona western could be important

Woodyard still here 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

Hope the Bell departure doesn't effect this one. 

Unless you heard something, I'd doubt it. There's a clear need on the OL still, many more questions there than there were at RB when Bell signed. Also, and it can't be undervalued, Bland is a B1G kid at heart growing up in Chicagoland. Bell is a WC kid.

30 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Woodyard still here 

7 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I knew i was forgetting someone

Woodyard can probably still transfer. Has he played in 4 games?

43 minutes ago, C N Red said:

Woodyard can probably still transfer. Has he played in 4 games?

The 4 games rule does not effect Woodyard's transfer status. It did not effect Tyjon or Bell's either.  

1 hour ago, Treand3 said:

Unless you heard something, I'd doubt it. There's a clear need on the OL still, many more questions there than there were at RB when Bell signed. Also, and it can't be undervalued, Bland is a B1G kid at heart growing up in Chicagoland. Bell is a WC kid.

I haven't, just a thought I had as I remembered them visiting/posting photos together.

1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

The 4 games rule does not effect Woodyard's transfer status. It did not effect Tyjon or Bell's either.  

I haven't, just a thought I had as I remembered them visiting/posting photos together.

We only played 4 games, Bell and Tyjon both played in all 4. If they would have played in Wisky game they couldnt have transferred in season and used their RS. Tyjon is enrolled at Oregon St already. If Woodyard hasnt appeared in more than 4 games he can transfer in season and use his redshirt not?

1 minute ago, C N Red said:

We only played 4 games, Bell and Tyjon both played in all 4. If they would have played in Wisky game they couldnt have transferred in season and used their RS. Tyjon is enrolled at Oregon St already. If Woodyard hasnt appeared in more than 4 games he can transfer in season and use his redshirt not?

You're correct. 

The point Warrior is making is that games played has no impact on terms of ability to transfer. It affects their status and future eligibility, which is their choice to make - but they can leave whenever they want. 

1 hour ago, C N Red said:

You can RS this year at D-1. But you still have to sit next year. Unless you transfer to a school that is on quarters, such as Oregon St. I believe Tyjon had till Oct 7th to enroll at OSU, so I think he'll be eligible next year. 

Woodward could transfer and RS, but he'd still have to sit next year (unless he found a school with enrollment still open for fall).

30 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

FSU interested now. Also one of the 247 guys mentioned how good of friends him and Bell were. 

This is one guy we cannot afford to lose in this class 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

This is one guy we cannot afford to lose in this class 

Will play next year here, we really don’t want to lose him.

Interesting news here...

Florida St offered Bland and he seems interested. Said he definitely plans to visit Tallahassee. Coach for FSU is the same coach that was recruiting him out of high school. Article on 24/7

Frost and Co. need to keep a close eye on this one..

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

I’m with you on that but it’s always concerning that he’s visiting. Really want this kid so I hope he sticks.

Yes. This staff is great. Plus we are on the upward trajectory. Florida State is a mess with hardly any signs of life.

I did my doctoral work at Florida State. I would never wish living in Tallahassee upon anyone. They don't call it "Talla-nasty" for nothing. Here's a quick pro's and con's list.

Pro:

1. I could go for a run in shorts and a t-shirt any time of the year. It hit freezing a few times (everyone lost their s#!t by the way).

2. Campus had some interesting historical figures recognizing the Seminole tribe that gave the land to the state for the university

3. Southern Live Oak trees with Spanish moss. Driving down a narrow road with that as a canopy was really awesome

4. Wildlife was great. Very different for a Nebraska boy.

5. Great fishing

6. ...not sure what to put here

Cons:

1. Humidity near 100% all year round

2. Year-round mosquitoes. Multiple species of mosquitoes that have their own peak breeding season throughout the year. 

3. Humidity + mosquitoes in the summer. It was too damn hot that you wanted to sit outside but you had to move around outside or you were eaten alive by droves of mosquitoes.

4. The food was terrible. I have lived many places in the US, and it is easy to say that sans four restaurants (Osaka's, Decent Pizza, Aladdin's, and Whataburger), the food was crap. I remember driving through Missouri back to Nebraska and ate at a Burger King. I realized then that the crap they pass as beef in restaurants in Tallahassee was so terrible words can't describe. And, I am telling you I thought that burger was from heaven (a burger from BK).

5. No wind. The tall cypress and pine trees cut the coastal winds so the humid air just sat on you stagnant.

6. No palm trees...except at the airport (planted to trick tourists that they are in Florida not southern Georgia)

7. 3 hours+ to white sand beaches. Yes, you are 30 minutes from the coast in Tallahassee if you want to stand in the mud. Three hours to Jacksonville, Pensacola, or St. George's

8. When I first moved there, I was told "in Florida the further north you go the further south you are". The panhandle area is southern Georgia not the white sand beaches of Miami-Dade. And, you have a lot of thinly veiled racism. It's depressing to be around.

9. 3 bars a block apart for college students and they are disgusting. No other nightlife (well house parties and the like)

10. Small city, crappy traffic. Tallahassee is way smaller than Lincoln, but as the state capital with two major universities (FSU and FAMU) all downtown with only three main roads out of the downtown area to take you North, East, or Southwest, traffic sucked. I lived in DC, so no it was not that bad. But for a small city, traffic is way worse than it should be. City planning fail.

11. No zoos or interesting attractions. Really boring honestly.

12. Gun crime is really bad around the campus area.

13. You were living with c$%kroaches. Every place had them. No getting around it.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

I did my doctoral work at Florida State. I would never wish living in Tallahassee upon anyone. They don't call it "Talla-nasty" for nothing. Here's a quick pro's and con's list.

Pro:

1. I could go for a run in shorts and a t-shirt any time of the year. It hit freezing a few times (everyone lost their s#!t by the way).

2. Campus had some interesting historical figures recognizing the Seminole tribe that gave the land to the state for the university

3. Southern Live Oak trees with Spanish moss. Driving down a narrow road with that as a canopy was really awesome

5. Great fishing

Cons:

2. Year-round mosquitoes. Multiple species of mosquitoes that had their own peak breeding season throughout the year. 

3. Humidity + mosquitoes in the summer. It was too damn hot that you wanted to sit outside but you had to move around outside or you were eaten alive by droves of mosquitoes.

4. The food was terrible. I have lived many places in the US, and it is easy to say that sans four restaurants (Osaka's, Decent Pizza, Aladdin's, and Whataburger), the food was crap. I remember driving through Missouri back to Nebraska and ate at a Burger King. I realized then that the crap they pass as beef in restaurants in Tallahassee was so terrible words can't describe. And, I am telling you I thought that burger was from heaven (a burger from BK).

5. No wind. The tall cypress and pine trees cut the coastal winds so the humid air just sat on you stagnant.

6. No palm trees...except at the airport (planted to trick tourist that they are in Florida not southern Georgia)

7. 3 hours+ to white sand beaches. Yes, you are 30 minutes from the coast in Tallahassee if you want to stand in the mud. Three hours to Jacksonville, Pensacola, or St. George's

8. When I first moved there, I was told "in Florida the further north you go the further south you are". The panhandle area is southern Georgia not the white sand beaches of Miami-Dade. And, you have a lot of thinly veiled racism. It's depressing to be around.

9. 3 bars a block apart for college students and they are disgusting. No other nightlife (well house parties and the like)

10. Small city, crappy traffic. Tallahassee is way smaller than Lincoln, but as the state capital with two major universities (FSU and FAMU) all downtown with only three main roads out of the downtown area to take you North, East, or Southwest, traffic sucked. I lived in DC, so no it was not that bad. But for a small city, traffic is way worse than it should be. City planning fail.

13. You were living with c$%kroaches. Every place had them. No getting around it.

I lived in the Tampa area for a while. They liked to call their c$%kroaches palmetto bugs. Don't fall for it, they're just huge c$%kroaches.

Pro:

5. Great fishing

Cons:

2. Year-round mosquitoes. Multiple species of mosquitoes that have their own peak breeding season throughout the year. 

6. No palm trees...except at the airport (planted to trick tourists that they are in Florida not southern Georgia)

Spot on. Tallahassee is basically southern Georgia and deep south culturally. I chuckled about the palm trees because it's true. My cousin went to FAMU and visited him a few times.

Pros: (5) 
<snippage>

Cons:

What a great post! I think we need Husker Fans in all parts of the U.S. (to put together a similar CONS list for all of the schools we recruit against). Then somebody could post a link to it anytime a recruit Tweets that they have received an offer from a competing school. LOL.

giphy.gif