B10 Opener 2018

5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

It is in the cards, or the rabbit foot, or the horse shoe, or my lucky rock, or whatever is in this::koolaid2:or this:cheers - got to follow this thought process.  It is time to

strike up the :band and smell the :Java::

20 years ago Tom's last game. SF is the QB that wins our last NC.  Meanwhile on the other Coast michicken gets bailed out by the refs as they barely beat an inferior Wash team. SF and team defeat a # 3 rank Tenn team.  Our undefeated NU team, greatly superior to the pretender from the hand state has to share the NC.  The coaches recognized the superior team and voted NU # 1. 

Now 20 years later, SF will play before mentioned pretender (by the way wasn't Hardboiledhead suppose to dominate the Big 10 by now?:dunno ).  SF will set the record straight with a win in his first Big 10 conf game. 

Now pass me some more :koolaid2:

+1

tumblr_nj85izx0Rl1r86qtto1_400.gif

• Plus1 6

While I love talking and discussing games in the offseason, I think it's a bad idea to start thinking a 4-8 team without a starting QB is going to go on the road next season and get a top 25 win.

Could it happen? Absolutely. Will it? I don't know. Let's see who Nebraska is starting at QB first. 

12 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

While I love talking and discussing games in the offseason, I think it's a bad idea to start thinking a 4-8 team without a starting QB is going to go on the road next season and get a top 25 win.

Could it happen? Absolutely. Will it? I don't know. Let's see who Nebraska is starting at QB first. 

Can't be brushed with the same Riley paint. New era......FROST >

BUT I agree

This is a very winnable game for Nebraska. Michigan has been a paper tiger since Harbaugh arrived. For some reason everyone talks about them like they are a top 5 material. Yes, they beat the bottom feeder teams, generally, in the manner they should. However, they consistently struggle on offense against quality opponents, and they basically rely on the defense to win them those games.

Honestly, I think NU has been as talented, if not slightly more talented, on Offense as Michigan the past 2 years. Defensively we are behind them, but that may have been scheme more than anything.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

This is a very winnable game for Nebraska. Michigan has been a paper tiger since Harbaugh arrived. For some reason everyone talks about them like they are a top 5 material. Yes, they beat the bottom feeder teams, generally, in the manner they should. However, they consistently struggle on offense against quality opponents, and they basically rely on the defense to win them those games.

Honestly, I think NU has been as talented, if not slightly more talented, on Offense as Michigan the past 2 years. Defensively we are behind them, but that may have been scheme more than anything.

Agree.

I have not been impressed with Michigan since Harbaugh showed up. 

Yes, they have been better than Nebraska, but that’s not saying much. They aren’t where Michigan fans want the program to be. 

And, they aren’t playing up to where their talent rankings say they should be. 

Edited by BigRedBuster

Michigan had the motto last year: " if you can see it, you can over pursue it. " That's ok, but even in the Big 10 you'll see an occasional misdirection play.

So when Michigan gave up a play, they really gave one up. That's ok, if you have an offense that can counter punch.

But....Michigan had an offense out of the leather helmet days, which wasn't very good at coming back or sustaining leads.

Say what you want about Michigan, and many have, but this is a team in great position to turn that young talent into great talent. They made good strides in the offseason to retool their offensive staff and bring in a transfer QB that should be able to play immediately. Personally, I think they could be scary by the end of the year and am very glad to have them early.

• Plus1 1

I definitely think we can be competitive with Michigan.  Wouldn't be shocked if we beat them.

But I think a lot of people are being too hard on the Wolverines.  They played the second half of their schedule largely with their third-string QB.  Their four regular season losses were to the teams that finished #5, #7, #8 and #15 and three of them were within two scores.  Their defense was supposed to be bad last year after losing 8 NFL draft picks - they finished #3 in the country against a fairly tough schedule. 

Their offense isn't terribly explosive but if they get even an above-average QB, they will be a very tough team.

If this team hadn't been headed by coaches completely in over their heads for the last three years this game would appear very different. Michigan is the type of team we will be competing with very soon but I'm afraid game #4 might be a little too soon. I won't count out Frost or the Huskers and a win there wouldn't surprise me but it will be a huge early leap for this program if it happens.