Mavric

Solich Invited Back to Receive Tom Osborne Award

9 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I just don't understand how 2003 is looked down on by some fans.  If one goes back and looks, I'd say the 03' season was ever bit as good as the 76' season.  We finished fourth in the conference both years.  There was eight teams in the conference in 76' and twelve in 03'.  In 76', we lost to an unranked 6-5 Mizzou squad by ten and tied an unranked LSU squad that went 6-4-1.  In 03', we lost to an unranked 8-5 Mizzou squad by 17.  The other two losses came at the hands of teams that were top 10 heading into their bowl. 

I don't really care how it compares to the 76 season or really any other season.  I judge it for what it was - not very impressive.  The record looks good.  But we piled up a bunch of wins against a bunch of not-very-good teams and got soundly beaten by the good teams.

Three losses:

@ 8-5 Missouri by 17 points

@ 10-3 Texas by 24 points

v. 11-4 Kansas State by 29 points

Wins in order of opponent record:

9-4 Oklahoma State by 10

9-4 Southern Miss by 24 (Southern Miss was 1-4 against non-Conference USA opponents)

6-6 Troy by 30
6-7 Kansas by 21

5-7 Colorado by 9

4-8 Texas A&M by 36

3-9 Utah State by 24

3-9 Penn State by 8

2-10 Iowa State by 28

So we did not beat a ranked team, only beat two teams with a winning record and one of those wins came against a team that was pretty bad against Power-5 level opponents.  And it took five Oklahoma State turnovers and a Blackshirt touchdown to manage that 10 point win.  We lost handily to an unranked Missouri team and got blown out by the two ranked teams we played.  The 9-3 record looked good but that's pretty much the same story as the 2016 season.

• Plus1 3

I really don't want to get into this any deeper, but I will end it by saying the 03' season was eerily similar to the better part of the 70's seasons.  I just find it interesting that some hold one coach on a pedestal while the other one deserved to be fired. 

15 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I really don't want to get into this any deeper, but I will end it by saying the 03' season was eerily similar to the better part of the 70's seasons.  I just find it interesting that some hold one coach on a pedestal while the other one deserved to be fired. 

The one coach that is "on a pedestal" nearly left and many wanted fired because of how the seasons were going in the 70s.

But I doubt they are as similar as you're making them out to be.

• Plus1 2

"I've never felt very comfortable here," he said. "I felt when I took over for Bob (Devaney after the 1972 season) that it would be uphill. I thought it would be difficult to last more than five years." Osborne often has said he almost didn't see a fifth year at Nebraska, such was the heat on him at the end of the 1976 season.

That fourth squad ended the 1976 season with a 27-24 triumph against Texas Tech in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl. It seemed a rather mundane triumph. Hindsight shows it was a monumental victory in the program's history. "That evening, one of the regents got me aside and said, 'I'm glad you won tonight because if you hadn't, you would've been fired,'" Osborne has said.

• Plus1 2

On 5/30/2018 at 10:50 AM, junior4949 said:

There was nothing similar between the 03 season and the better part of the 70's seasons.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

There was nothing similar between the 03 season and the better part of the 70's seasons.

The worst of the 70s teams were substantially better in comparison to their peers than the 2003 team was to its peers. I understand where this perception may come from, due OU's relative dominance, but Nebraska did very well against other ranked teams throughout the decade.

2003 very much did not. No comparison.

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, brophog said:

The worst of the 70s teams were substantially better in comparison to their peers than the 2003 team was to its peers. I understand where this perception may come from, due OU's relative dominance, but Nebraska did very well against other ranked teams throughout the decade.

Exactly.

images (1).jpg

42 minutes ago, brophog said:

Yet the reaction from the fanbase was pretty similar.

Point well taken though: college football is more competitive across the board today than it was in the 1970s. 

Meaning Solich's 9 win 2003 wasn't any different than Pelini's seven 9 win seasons: they may look okay on paper, but the 3-4 losses showed a widening gap between Nebraska and the football elite. 

• Upvote 1

To anyone who's confused about why Solich was fired, I don't think you have to look beyond recruiting.  I'm not going to say it was bad under him.  What I'm getting at is that the perception was he wasn't long for the job.

I'm sure people have already covered how Frank had some folks on his staff who were practically retired in place, too.  That's still partly on him.

My favorite Solich memory, that I've shared here before, was of a billboard I saw in Omaha around the time he took over from TO.  It was a picture of Frank with a caption along the lines of:

"Shirt size: M

Expectations: XL"

39 minutes ago, beorach said:

I'm sure people have already covered how Frank had some folks on his staff who were practically retired in place, too.  That's still partly on him.

I'm thinking that is all on Frank. While Frank was the head coach, if someone wasn't doing their job properly then it was his job to fix it.

If someone was telling Frank he couldn't replace certain assistants then it was his job to successfully make the case for the changes.

22 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yet the reaction from the fanbase was pretty similar.

Point well taken though: college football is more competitive across the board today than it was in the 1970s. 

Meaning Solich's 9 win 2003 wasn't any different than Pelini's seven 9 win seasons: they may look okay on paper, but the 3-4 losses showed a widening gap between Nebraska and the football elite. 

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Funny, people give Frank a lot more benefit of the doubt because he was a more likable guy than Bo. 

6 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Funny, people give Frank a lot more benefit of the doubt because he was a more likable guy than Bo. 

Just goes to show that no one likes an a-hole. :)

3 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Just goes to show that no one likes an a-hole. :)

Winning solves everything! 

Case and Point: Nicholas Lou Saban Jr.

In all sincerity, I do agree, not a lot of people like assholes

• Plus1 2

18 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I'm thinking that is all on Frank. While Frank was the head coach, if someone wasn't doing their job properly then it was his job to fix it.

If someone was telling Frank he couldn't replace certain assistants then it was his job to successfully make the case for the changes.

I'm not one who would argue Frank didn't have to go but to say that the assistants in question had no culpability isn't fair either.  I don't think we really have a difference of opinion, I mean.

1 minute ago, beorach said:

I'm not one who would argue Frank didn't have to go but to say that the assistants in question had no culpability isn't fair either.  I don't think we really have a difference of opinion, I mean.

The assistants in question most certainly did have culpability but it was Franks job to recognize and fix the issue. But yeah, I don't think we really have a difference of opinion either. :)

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Winning solves everything! 

Case and Point: Nicholas Lou Saban Jr.

In all sincerity, I do agree, not a lot of people like assholes

People make the Saban comparison a lot, but I don't remember seeing him act nearly as much like the raving lunatic Bo was multiple times on the sideline.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

People make the Saban comparison a lot, but I don't remember seeing him act nearly as much like the raving lunatic Bo was multiple times on the sideline.

I think part of that is probably cause we watched more of Bo. Saban might not be as bad, but he is still a loose cannon from time to time.

Image result for nick saban yelling gif

Image result for nick saban yelling ref gif (This one might just be good coaching lol)

• Plus1 3

25 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I think part of that is probably cause we watched more of Bo. Saban might not be as bad, but he is still a loose cannon from time to time.

Yep. People often think Pelini was clear out on the edge because we - as Husker fans - are much more familiar with him.  Those kind of antics are not all that uncommon.  That doesn't make them right but to try to act like Pelini was the outlier isn't accurate.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep. People often think Pelini was clear out on the edge because we - as Husker fans - are much more familiar with him.  Those kind of antics are not all that uncommon.  That doesn't make them right but to try to act like Pelini was the outlier isn't accurate.

Lol this one still cracks me up. Muschamp is up there with Bo too.

Image result for will muschamp gif

• Plus1 1

Where's the one where Saban was, by his own description, giving Lane Kiffin "an ass-chewing"?

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Where's the one where Saban was, by his own description, giving Lane Kiffin "an ass-chewing"?

Was this when the we’re up 48 in the 4th? Like 2 minutes left

1 hour ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Psst - I've seen Frost lose it a time or two on the sideline.

He got at least a couple 15 yard penalties for cussing out the refs in the UCF games I've watched

A coach can and perhaps should get outraged when bad things like horrible officiating calls, horrendous player mistakes (malicious intent, etc) occur.   The difference with Bo was he often just 'lost it' and was irrational.   It is not unreasonable to get angry in situations where people do stupid or irresponsible things.   Fans can take the 'normal' sorts of things.  Bo Pelini played under Woody Hayes (I think) and he acted just like him.   He was a ticking time bomb and when he threatened Grampa Bill Snyder with a physical attack, that was the first sign.  This was troubling to me before he was even hired by TO.   He took some of those anger managment things but I have rarely seen such measures actually work.  Most individuals with temper control issues never really get past them.   If they're an explosive type, it is simply the way they are and you never know when or if another episode will occur.  

Fiery, tough minded coaches often can inspire the players on their team to fire up and play harder.  Football at its best is played by players who are playing with controlled rage.   Hopefully Frost is this kind of coach.  We don't need 'Mr Rogers" (Mike Riley was maybe a little too nice if that's possible) but we don't need Woody Hayes either.

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Bo Pelini played under Woody Hayes (I think) and he acted just like him. 

Woody Hayes was gone a decade before Bo's playing days.

1 minute ago, Making Chimichangas said:

@Mavric, how dare you do anything to to refute the, "Bo Pelini is the only football coach who ever got mad at the refs or his players." narrative.

:ahhhhhhhh;)

That narrative doesn't exist. 

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That narrative doesn't exist. 

You're kidding, right?  You seriously don't remember reactions from some in our fan base, that worm Harvey Perlman and his toadie AD, and the national media when Bo got in Taylor Martinez's face?  Or about how he acted on the sidelines in that travesty @ Texas A+M?  Or how during our games ABC, ESPN, or any other network carrying our games would focus a camera on Bo at all times just waiting for that meltdown?  And, you don't remember that one of the reasons Bo was fired was because he was such a meanie?

Bo was constantly singled out for getting angry.  You may not agree, but there definitely was that narrative being pushed.

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

A coach can and perhaps should get outraged when bad things like horrible officiating calls, horrendous player mistakes (malicious intent, etc) occur.   The difference with Bo was he often just 'lost it' and was irrational.   It is not unreasonable to get angry in situations where people do stupid or irresponsible things.   Fans can take the 'normal' sorts of things.  Bo Pelini played under Woody Hayes (I think) and he acted just like him.   He was a ticking time bomb and when he threatened Grampa Bill Snyder with a physical attack, that was the first sign.  This was troubling to me before he was even hired by TO.   He took some of those anger managment things but I have rarely seen such measures actually work.  Most individuals with temper control issues never really get past them.   If they're an explosive type, it is simply the way they are and you never know when or if another episode will occur.  

Fiery, tough minded coaches often can inspire the players on their team to fire up and play harder.  Football at its best is played by players who are playing with controlled rage.   Hopefully Frost is this kind of coach.  We don't need 'Mr Rogers" (Mike Riley was maybe a little too nice if that's possible) but we don't need Woody Hayes either.

Jesus man, I never remember Bo punching a player.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

You're kidding, right?  You seriously don't remember reactions from some in our fan base, that worm Harvey Perlman and his toadie AD, and the national media when Bo got in Taylor Martinez's face?  Or about how he acted on the sidelines in that travesty @ Texas A+M?  Or how during our games ABC, ESPN, or any other network carrying our games would focus a camera on Bo at all times just waiting for that meltdown?  And, you don't remember that one of the reasons Bo was fired was because he was such a meanie?

Bo was constantly singled out for getting angry.  You may not agree, but there definitely was that narrative being pushed.

Not kidding. There was never a narrative that "Bo was the only coach who got mad at the refs or his players." That's a huge exaggeration. Pretty much no one said or thought that.

One of the reasons he was fired is because he was an asshole, although more of it was the plateauing and blowouts, but that doesn't in any way make your claim true.

Also, he deserved all the attention he got for the Martinez episode, and brought the hyper focus from the camera on himself. It definitely got old at times but there was a reason it happened.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not kidding. There was never a narrative that "Bo was the only coach who got mad at the refs or his players." That's a huge exaggeration.

One of the reasons he was fired is because he was an asshole, although more of it was the plateauing and blowouts, but that doesn't in any way make your claim true.

We agree on most of the reasons why he was fired.  Yes he was (and probably still is) an a-hole and the increasingly common blow-out losses under his watch were unacceptable.  However, I'll just say we agree to disagree on the narrative issue because at this point there is nothing to be gained by exhuming, beating even more, that dead horse.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

It was a narrative that Bo went out and earned time and time again. 

My understanding is that in his unguarded moments, free to just be himself, Bo could be even worse. There are a couple audio tapes suggesting this.

The one narrative I'd like to retire is that Bo was a "meanie" who hurt people's feelings with his strong language and actions. 

When you blame the fans and the AD for your team's meltdown losses, you're not hurting the fans' feelings. You're just being an assshole

• Plus1 4

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It was a narrative that Bo went out and earned time and time again. 

My understanding is that in his unguarded moments, free to just be himself, Bo could be even worse. There are a couple audio tapes suggesting this.

The one narrative I'd like to retire is that Bo was a "meanie" who hurt people's feelings with his strong language and actions. 

When you blame the fans and the AD for your team's meltdown losses, you're not hurting the fans' feelings. You're just being an assshole

I concur with your statement.  However, it doesn't diminish the fact Bo was often the go-to, low-hanging-fruit, example whenever some national media hack needed a caricature to point out, "out-of-control" coaches. 

All I am saying really is that often times Bo was unfairly singled out for behavior that nearly every football coach does/exhibits.  Not condoning said behavior, just saying it isn't isolated or the exception.

49 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

All I am saying really is that often times Bo was unfairly singled out for behavior that nearly every football coach does/exhibits.  Not condoning said behavior, just saying it isn't isolated or the exception.

Part of the reason the media focused on Pelini was to fan the flames of the "will Nebraska fire another 9 win coach?".

That was a very real storyline at the time.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, TheSker said:

Part of the reason the media focused on Pelini was to fan the flames of the "will Nebraska fire another 9 win coach?".

That was a very real storyline at the time.

Because it was a very real story.  No one had to fan any flames. The same media covers every coach on the hot seat.

Although most storylines don't have a coach saying f#&% the state, f#&% the fans, f#&% the media, I'm so outta here on audio tape.

If you'll remember, the majority of national pundits sided with Pelini and suggested Husker Nation needed to be more patient. 

One of the reasons they thought we should be more patient is because they honestly believe Nebraska has fallen out of the elite, and we shouldn't expect to get back anytime soon.

i.e. we should by happy with 9 win seasons and second place in the division.

That was the storyline.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Although most storylines don't have a coach saying f#&% the state, f#&% the fans, f#&% the media, I'm so outta here on audio tape.

That recording bothered some way more than others.

The good news for those it bothered is Perlman ultimately got rid of both Osborne and Pelini before giving a public acknowledgement himself of how well he'll be remembered for handling the football program.

One storyline has many subtitles in the past 20 years of Husker football.

But there is that whole audiotape thingy......

2 hours ago, TheSker said:

That recording bothered some way more than others.

The good news for those it bothered is Perlman ultimately got rid of both Osborne and Pelini before giving a public acknowledgement himself of how well he'll be remembered for handling the football program.

One storyline has many subtitles in the past 20 years of Husker football.

But there is that whole audiotape thingy......

That's a pretty reductive way of looking at things.

The other storyline covered 20 years of Husker football, too.

Fun facts: Tom Osborne was Bo Pelini's AD at the time of Tapegate One and Bo Pelini has continued to be an asshole at Youngstown State.

You really think this is about one audiotape?

Dude.

• Plus1 3

17 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You really think this is about one audiotape?

No, I think it's something long in the rearview mirror.

......yet your last few posts have specifically mentioned it.

Dude.

• Plus1 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, brophog said:

1974:  We played only one team who finished the season ranked, and we lost.  We lost to two teams that finished the season unranked.

1975:  We played three teams who finished the season ranked, and we lost two.  The great 10 win season came against teams that went a combined 46-64.

1976:  We beat a couple teams that finished the season ranked.  We lost to a ranked opponent.  We lost to a 6-5 unranked Mizzou squad.  We tied an unranked LSU squad. 

1977:  We played two teams that finished ranked, and won one and lost one.  We lost to two teams who finished the season unranked.

2003:  We played two teams who finished the season ranked, and we lost.  We lost to one team that finished the season unranked.   

The 70's were thought to be better because of where we were ranked.  Football changed a lot from the 70's to the 000's.  For instance, in 1974 after losing to two unranked opponents and not even playing a ranked opponent yet the furthest we fell in the rankings was #12. There just wasn't nearly as may peers to be compared to in the 70's as there was in the 000's.  The playing field was a lot more level in the 000's than the 70's.  The perennial doormat teams got quite a bit better.  Things really had started to change by the 00's.  I don't think it's a coincidence that some of TO's worst ranked teams at season end came in the early 90's when he had almost identical win/loss records as those in the 70's that yielded top 10 finishes.   

• Plus1 3

14 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Is that interview being done in a bus stall?  :facepalm:

It’s at Boys Town. I’m not familiar with the location, but it could be in their museum or something like that with an old bus which used to stop at Boys Town. It is a little odd that there is an old bus in the background. 

EDIT:  That's the Hall of History at Boys Town, thus the old bus in the background.