Huskers Getting Bigger

54 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Please discontinue this line of discussion. If you think someone has a problem with you please take it to the Woodshed.

Frost's entire MO is speed. It's evidenced by the types of players he's recruiting and the philosophies he discusses. He's not going to let players bulk up at the cost of their speed.

Bingo, he wants maximum muscle as long as it doesnt impair athletic ability just like every other school. ;-) 

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Chill out bro-chacho. You would be amazed at what one can accomplish when pushed to their physical limits while eatting proper macros and micros. Especially the initial muscle confusion that had to have occurred when their bodies were trying to adjust to Duvals system. Easiest time to put on muscle mass in your life is teens and early 20's. Higher testosterone levels etc. 

I think I might need to hit the Low-T Center myself. 

So the mass they are building will obviously help them shed the bad weight later. It's not going to be instantaneous. 

However I posted this back when I did my recap of the coaches clinic in April. 

Khalil Mack was the example on how he came in weighing 219 and 15% BF, left the program at 265 and 7% BF. 

Don't get too worried about weight gain, considering I don't think Frost's philosophy is about Speed as much as it is about Playing fast and processing fast in the mind. He never said anything about making sure were slim enough to out run everyone. He wants to play physical football. He just wants to do it from the spread. Which is completely possible and some people tend to think that "physical" means Stanford....not even close.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Scratchtown said:

He just wants to do it from the spread. Which is completely possible and some people tend to think that "physical" means Stanford....not even close

That's so true. It's a mindset, not related to a play or formation. One of the most physical plays in the modern game is a bubble screen, something a lot of people consider finesse. Watch those teams that struggle defending it and then watch those that don't. The physical defenders that drive through the blocker are the ones that blow those up. They're just pure football plays; angles and leverage.

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I am talking about 40 times, agility runs, weight lifts and vertical jumps, etc.   They used to publish this a couple times a year for all the players and team averages, etc.   It stopped in middle of Solich era and really has never come back.  This was good information and helped us fans get an idea of what kind of team we will have and where they are bigger, stronger, faster, or not, etc.   If the numbers are not 'good'' then it somewhat makes sense to keep them secret but again, no news is usually bad news'.   I just feel that this year in particular, it would be nice to see how well the team is actually progressing in getting back in playing shape etc.   

I hear what you are saying and as a fan it would be nice to see this stuff - however don't you think opposing teams would also like to see this info handed to them.  SF will do as Moriane has stated he will hold back everything that he can that gives us a winning advantage - without BP's attitude.

I don't think these gains are totally out of the question with proper diet and strength work. Plus, my guess is these guys are carrying a bit extra bad weight that they'll she'd come fall. When you're trying to build as much muscle as possibe it's not uncommon to gain fat too. The goal however is to then shed that fat but retain the muscle. That'll be the goal come fall camp and based on the speed they run these offenses I bet guys will drop pounds quick. 

55 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I don't think these gains are totally out of the question with proper diet and strength work. Plus, my guess is these guys are carrying a bit extra bad weight that they'll she'd come fall. When you're trying to build as much muscle as possibe it's not uncommon to gain fat too. The goal however is to then shed that fat but retain the muscle. That'll be the goal come fall camp and based on the speed they run these offenses I bet guys will drop pounds quick. 

Factor that in with a trenbologna sandwich and we’re all good

• Plus1 1

The gains/weight increases that are being made are consisted of both muscle and fat.  It is pretty much impossible to put on 40 lbs of lean muscle in a year no matter how hard you train and follow strict eating habits. 

17 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

The gains/weight increases that are being made are consisted of both muscle and fat.  It is pretty much impossible to put on 40 lbs of lean muscle in a year no matter how hard you train and follow strict eating habits. 

Of course. However these kids are premium athletes with the best diet, recovery, training, and supplements both illegal and legal. 20ish pounds of solid muscle for some of them is doable. But for most, newby gains have worn off for them as most of them have been lifting since high school. Most of that is good weight. I care more about them reducing body fat percentages. 

On 7/26/2018 at 5:23 PM, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Raridon was 290 lbs last season in the media guide and is now listed at 320 lbs. 30 lbs is still a lot to add in a year.

https://hailvarsity.com/s/4203/huskers-update-measurables-ahead-of-2018-season#&gid=1&pid=1

It might be a lot but definitely attainable with motivation, nutrition and workout regimen.  This staff knows what they're doing.