No Smoking on UNL campus

Smoking I can kind of understand.  Kind of...  Banning a legal substance like chewing tobacco is unnecessary.  It does no harm to the person next to you.  It would be no different than banning chewing gum, lip stick, or open toed sandals.  The older I get the more unnecessary rules and laws I see...  That may be why I like living in the middle of a corn field.  

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, NUinID said:

I guess the smoking outside the stadium really doesn't bother me all that much.  I am old enough to remember people smoking in the stadium and it really didn't bother me that much.  

What bothers me is I have caught male and females sneaking in heavy liquor. Mind you, this was during the Callahan era which at the time, I completely understood lol.

4 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

Are you a security guard? 

I've volunteered to help out in the past since I knew a guy who had been doing it for 20+ years before he called it a night. I never saw any alcohol being consumed while doing it only the aftermath, empty cans/bottles. As a fan in the stands, I've seen people in the nosebleeds drinking before. Haven't seen it anywhere else.

5 minutes ago, FTW said:

I've volunteered to help out in the past since I knew a guy who had been doing it for 20+ years before he called it a night. I never saw any alcohol being consumed while doing it only the aftermath, empty cans/bottles. As a fan in the stands, I've seen people in the nosebleeds drinking before. Haven't seen it anywhere else.

Nebraska fans have always been fairly discreet about bringing alcohol into the stadium.  Back in 1985 I went and visited some  HS friends at Iowa and we went to the game, they were playing Wisconsin.  Everyone before they entered the stadium slung 2-3 boda bags over their shoulders full of whatever and went in the stadium.  I was fairly shocked that it was allowed.  I am sure that is not  the case now at Iowa City, but no one would have ever thought of doing that at NU even in 1985.

One of my fond childhood memories of games at Memorial Stadium is the smell of cigar smoke. 

When I was about 12, my dad couldn't go to the game and I went by myself. I also went down to Cliff's Smoke Shop, where they would sell kids cigars if you said it was a birthday present for your father. I then lit that fat 75 cent cigar and smoked it by myself, watching the game. I remember the grown ups shaking their heads and/or smiling at me, but no one told me to put it out. 

• Plus1 4

Sorry smokers but I couldn't be happier, the more public places they ban smoking the better IMO. Even in outdoor areas I hate smelling or breathing somebody else's cigarette smoke. I don't smoke and shouldn't have to be subjected to it even infrequently. And there are people who it really bothers, my wife for one, and those with health problems that shouldn't have to endure it. And I generally like the smell of cigar smoke and have been known to have a stogie once in awhile. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

One of my fond childhood memories of games at Memorial Stadium is the smell of cigar smoke. 

When I was about 12, my dad couldn't go to the game and I went by myself. I also went down to Cliff's Smoke Shop, where they would sell kids cigars if you said it was a birthday present for your father. I then lit that fat 75 cent cigar and smoked it by myself, watching the game. I remember the grown ups shaking their heads and/or smiling at me, but no one told me to put it out. 

:thumbs sounds like a great memory

a)  How will people know when they are on campus property and when they aren't.  Sometimes it's not really clear.  

and

b)  How are they going to police this?  

I'm guessing they will probably just mention it to people if they are standing right outside the stadium or in the middle of campus.  Other than that...not much policing of this policy on game day.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

a)  How will people know when they are on campus property and when they aren't.  Sometimes it's not really clear.  

and

I'm guessing they will probably just mention it to people if they are standing right outside the stadium or in the middle of campus.  Other than that...not much policing of this policy on game day.

To answer question B, people will be shot on sight:

tumblr_inline_p594pdSw5Z1tutz6c_540.gif

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

and

They aren't...this will be the least policed thing ever.

46 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Nebraska fans have always been fairly discreet about bringing alcohol into the stadium.  Back in 1985 I went and visited some  HS friends at Iowa and we went to the game, they were playing Wisconsin.  Everyone before they entered the stadium slung 2-3 boda bags over their shoulders full of whatever and went in the stadium.  I was fairly shocked that it was allowed.  I am sure that is not  the case now at Iowa City, but no one would have ever thought of doing that at NU even in 1985.

I sneak in shooters if I end up in the stadium.