What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

329 yards rushing.

7 sacks.

14 tackles for a loss.

That's a solid blueprint for success.  Get that turnover margin evened out and NU will be a tough out for just about everyone on the schedule.

Exactly.

Then you factor in an 18 year old, true Freshman QB that hasn't played in a live game environment in two years who throws for a 75% completion percentage and rushes for 117 yards.

The mind boggles at how good this team could be.

I feel like a lot of the above was incorrectly shoved aside by a good portion of the fan base because of how the last possession by each team went down. It honestly shouldn't.

• Plus1 2

MR's first game a 33-28 loss to BYU on a Hail Mary, -1 in turnovers with 90 yards in penalties

SF's first game a 33-28 loss to CU on a long pass,  -3 in turnovers with 95 yards in penalties

One thing I learned; different coaches, different year, nearly identical results.

I will say the same thing I stated during MR's tenure, and Moose basically endorsed this sentiment with SF's contract, a coach needs a full recruiting cycle to establish his program.  

The other thing I learned.  When fans like the coach, player mistakes and lack of discipline are a player problem.  When fans aren't a fan of the coach, player mistakes and lack of discipline are a sign of bad coaching and conditioning.

Give Frost the time and support MR didn't get before raking him over the coals.

• Fire 1
17 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

The other thing I learned.  When fans like the coach, player mistakes and lack of discipline are a player problem.  When fans aren't a fan of the coach, player mistakes and lack of discipline are a sign of bad coaching and conditioning.

You might not be making the point you think you're making.

The results of both games were pretty much identical - giving up what should have been a sealed-up win late in the fourth quarter.

But the trajectory of the two teams after both of their first games look very different. 

*Edit* Specifically, in 2015 you had a QB that (I'm really sorry to say) had already reached his potential. You had a staff that had no interest in pushing the players as well as possible in the realm of strength & conditioning. And you had a head coach that really didn't have that competitive drive to be the best there is. And I'm not just saying that in hindsight; I'm talking about the attitude towards winning games that Riley had going into that first season.

At any rate...that's all water under the bridge at this point. Shame on me for talking about past coaches.  :moreinteresting

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, Undone said:

You might not be making the point you think you're making.

The results of both games were pretty much identical - giving up what should have been a sealed-up win late in the fourth quarter.

But the trajectory of the two teams after both of their first games look very different. 

*Edit* Specifically, in 2015 you had a QB that (I'm really sorry to say) had already reached his potential. You had a staff that had no interest in pushing the players as well as possible in the realm of strength & conditioning. And you had a head coach that really didn't have that competitive drive to be the best there is. And I'm not just saying that in hindsight; I'm talking about the attitude towards winning games that Riley had going into that first season.

At any rate...that's all water under the bridge at this point. Shame on me for talking about past coaches.  :moreinteresting

Well it's certainly possible to take an additional point from my post, however the point I was making was made otherwise you wouldn't have felt the need for your first sentence above. 

As for the trajectory, that's yet to be determined. Assume you predicted a win over CU and not a loss?  

TA was not a good fit for MR's system.  Martinez is a perfect fit for SF's and result was the same.   I'll repeat, no matter the results, give it time to develop and don't set the bar and expectations so high out of the gate.

I learned that mistakes kill.

I learned that a loss isnt that bad when it looks like that.

I learned that Frost and Co have changed the mentality over night. The boneheaded mistakes are still there but i honestly think these are great as learning tools for everyone.

I learned that Colorado is a much better team than I anticipated. Montez is a good ballplayer.

This season will have its ups and downs but I think the team we have by the end of the year would CRUSH this team right now... and that is super exciting. 

• Fire 1
53 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

MR's first game a 33-28 loss to BYU on a Hail Mary, -1 in turnovers with 90 yards in penalties

SF's first game a 33-28 loss to CU on a long pass,  -3 in turnovers with 95 yards in penalties

One thing I learned; different coaches, different year, nearly identical results.

I will say the same thing I stated during MR's tenure, and Moose basically endorsed this sentiment with SF's contract, a coach needs a full recruiting cycle to establish his program.  

Or maybe there's more to it than just the stats you chose to look at.

We out-gained Colorado by 170 yards.  BYU out-gained us by 66 yards

We out-rushed Colorado by 285 yards.  BYU out-rushed us by 6 yards

Against Colorado we averaged 6.8 yards per play.  Against BYU we averaged 5.7 yards per play

Against Colorado we completed 65.5% of our passes.  Against BYU we completed 58.5% of our passes

Against Colorado we had 7 sacks.  Against BYU we had 3 sacks

Against Colorado our starting QB went down with injury when we could have iced the game with a couple more first downs.  Our starting QB played the entire game against BYU.

So maybe - just maybe - despite the stats that you chose to point out that make the games seem fairly equal, the fact is that we were actually significantly better than those stats - and the final score - indicate this time around.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
44 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Or maybe there's more to it than just the stats you chose to look at.

We out-gained Colorado by 170 yards.  BYU out-gained us by 66 yards

We out-rushed Colorado by 285 yards.  BYU out-rushed us by 6 yards

Against Colorado we averaged 6.8 yards per play.  Against BYU we averaged 5.7 yards per play

Against Colorado we completed 65.5% of our passes.  Against BYU we completed 58.5% of our passes

Against Colorado we had 7 sacks.  Against BYU we had 3 sacks

Against Colorado our starting QB went down with injury when we could have iced the game with a couple more first downs.  Our starting QB played the entire game against BYU.

So maybe - just maybe - despite the stats that you chose to point out that make the games seem fairly equal, the fact is that we were actually significantly better than those stats - and the final score - indicate this time around.

I wasn't trying to make the games "seem fairly equal".  The final score and the L in the loss column are identical.  Can you get more equal than that.   

As for dissecting or cherry picking stats let me ask you this.  Would you honestly prefer our stat line over CU's from Saturday?  Me, I'll take CU's "lesser" stats and the WIN.

14 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I wasn't trying to make the games "seem fairly equal".  The final score and the L in the loss column are identical.  Can you get more equal than that.   

As for dissecting or cherry picking stats let me ask you this.  Would you honestly prefer our stat line over CU's from Saturday?  Me, I'll take CU's "lesser" stats and the WIN.

Yes

22 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Are you saying in the bold that you would prefer CU's "stat line"?  Call me confused..... Is "lesser" really better?

1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

Well it's certainly possible to take an additional point from my post, however the point I was making was made otherwise you wouldn't have felt the need for your first sentence above. 

As for the trajectory, that's yet to be determined. Assume you predicted a win over CU and not a loss?  

TA was not a good fit for MR's system.  Martinez is a perfect fit for SF's and result was the same.   I'll repeat, no matter the results, give it time to develop and don't set the bar and expectations so high out of the gate.

Frost also inherited QBs that didnt fit his system. The difference is that Frost went out and got a player that started day 1 and looked amazing in his system. Riley had every opportunity to do the same, and in 3 years never once did what Frost did in his first game.  I think TA was an amazing player but as a coach its your job to design an offense that works for him or get someone that can run your offense now. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

I disagree that Riley didn't get support, at least at first. Along the way to 19-19, he proved to be what he always has and will be; a .500 coach, and no amount of support or whatever is going to change that.

Do you honestly think that Riley would've competed for B1G titles given a full recruiting cycle?

Did Moos jump the gun in firing a guy that got boat-raced by a HORRIBLE Purdue team, embarrassed by Iowa at home, and beaten by a MAC school on our own field, and was he premature in hiring Frost, who was the first coach in NCAA HISTORY to take a team from 0-12 to undefeated?

There was very little leadership, ownership, or culture, not to mention the fact that a Nebraska football team, for the first time in God knows how long, hadn't done much off-season lifting. For Bob Devaney's sake, we INVENTED college football lifting! And they didn't care enough to continue that tradition. Should we support that?

We show up, we sell out the stadium, and poor millions into this program. I'd say the fans are okay in support, whoever the coach is.