What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

We split every year for the last 4 with the BIG doormats. That's why we look like this. When you go .500 with Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois,  Iowa, etc over the years you haven't been good for a long time.

My kid is a college student and didn't go to any games last year.  Why would she?  They haven't been very good her entire life.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Also what more do you want from Frost with Bunch? 18-25(72%) with 177 yards 2 TDs 1 INT before the final drive. Thats getting Bunch some easy completions. 

Lol, what? That stat line is atrocious. Who cares about completion % when you’re averaging 9 yards a pass?  I do agree that you can’t expect much from a walk on non scholly qb but that stat line is a direct reflection of dink and dunk safety passes.  

Its also a direct reflection as to how inept recruiting has been for this program for years. There is zero excuse, even with gebbia bouncing, for not having more QBs in the room at a big 10 school like this.  

That being said, many of you need to calm the hell down. To think frost can turn crappy water into wine overnight is a pipe dream.  90% of these players don’t fit his system, the lineman recruited were for a pro style offense, not a multiple option attack and there’s a walk on- non recruited qb at the helm.  

I’m not saying we need to settle for mediocrity, and sure, there’s some things that need to get fixed but those of you shocked that this was even a possibility are borderline delusional.  

Troy was superior to us last year, same coach, same system, you shouldn’t be shocked they’re superior to us this year.

8 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Lol, what? That stat line is atrocious. Who cares about completion % when you’re averaging 9 yards a pass?  I do agree that you can’t expect much from a walk on non scholly qb but that stat line is a direct reflection of dink and dunk safety passes.  

Its also a direct reflection as to how inept recruiting has been for this program for years. There is zero excuse, even with gebbia bouncing, for not having more QBs in the room at a big 10 school like this.  

That being said, many of you need to calm the hell down. To think frost can turn crappy water into wine overnight is a pipe dream.  90% of these players don’t fit his system, the lineman recruited were for a pro style offense, not a multiple option attack and there’s a walk on- non recruited qb at the helm.  

I’m not saying we need to settle for mediocrity, and sure, there’s some things that need to get fixed but those of you shocked that this was even a possibility are borderline delusional.  

Troy was superior to us last year, same coach, same system, you shouldn’t be shocked they’re superior to us this year.

A 228 passer rating which that stat line computes to is higher than anyone has ever accomplished over the course of a season. Its not terrible.

I learned that I'm still encouraged for the future, but this year is going to take some faith and patience. I still believe Frost is the best option for us and to call him overrated or claim his offense won't work in the B1G is just ridiculous. 

I also learned that being patient doesn't mean forgiving everything that is happening. The penalties and turnovers have to get cleaned up. The special teams coaching and execution has to improve too. None of that means these coaches aren't going to get things where they need to be, but year 1 or year 5 those areas have to get cleaned up and the coaches need to make it happen. 

• Plus1 2

I learned that we are our own worst enemy. Our players play hard but definitely not smart. They commit the stupidest fouls I have ever seen, and they do that at the worst times ever. If the penalities don’t stop and we keep making bad decisions, this can get really ugly. From what I have seen the past two games, our chances of beating Michigan next week are as good as our chances making it to a good bowl game this year.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

A 228 passer rating which that stat line computes to is higher than anyone has ever accomplished over the course of a season. Its not terrible.

Based off what you saw today, does that high of a passer rating really mean much tho? College passing rating is a fickle stat. I don’t know the equation to compute it but I assume completion % heavily skews it based off that info.

what I do know is that I will take a crappier passer rating if it means we actually move the ball and rack up points.

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Based off what you saw today, does that high of a passer rating really mean much tho? College passing rating is a fickle stat. I don’t know the equation to compute it but I assume completion % heavily skews it based off that info.

what I do know is that I will take a crappier passer rating if it means we actually move the ball and rack up points.

It was the ugliest decent line I've seen in awhile. But that says something about how this offense helps quarterbacks. Martinez had elite passing numbers last week as well in his first collegiate start.

YPA is a pretty heavy factor as well

Here is a site with the equation

http://football.stassen.com/pass-eff/

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It was the ugliest decent line I've seen in awhile. But that says something about how this offense helps quarterbacks. Martinez had elite passing numbers last week as well in his first collegiate start.

Exactly. This system is extremely favorable, just wait until Frost gets all the guys he needs in it with some experience. We're going to have a heck of a lot of fun. 

45 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

We split every year for the last 4 with the BIG doormats. That's why we look like this. When you go .500 with Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois,  Iowa, etc over the years you haven't been good for a long time.

My kid is a college student and didn't go to any games last year.  Why would she?  They haven't been very good her entire life.

Agree - College kids today don’t remember when Neb was considered a good program. They were babies. 17 years since we ended a season in the top 10. The players on the opposing teams don’t remember that either - Neb is just another so-so team on their schedule. This is the “not-so-new” reality.

27 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

YPA is a pretty heavy factor as well

Here is a site with the equation

http://football.stassen.com/pass-eff/

Martinez had two turnovers last week, too...

Two that went for 14 points.

• Fire 1