What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

14 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

But one thing that made me say "Wow" was the stretch where Ohio State was down 9, and then in a blink of the eye, they were up 12.  That was so impressive sickening to see.

FIFY. Sorry, my next door neighbors are Buckeye fans. Getting pretty sick of having to avoid them during football season.

I was pissy after the game but on the way home listening to Frost and the players,  i was over it quickly.  They are all on the same page and know that they arent getting it done.   It just feels different when they speak.  

Im very excited for the future just from what i have seen so far.  I dont think Frost was kidding when he said teams so get them now cuase it will be a different story in 19 and on. 

• Plus1 1

Like others have said, there were a lot of positives.

Mo Washington - man! Imagine once we get Frost’s OLine in there. This guy is every bit as electric as we heard about and will make even more plays with Martinez in there.

The defense was stingy and made some plays. Front 7 is still really impressive to me.

The team didn’t quit when down early.

Some negatives

These two losses remind me of the NIU game from last year. Mistakes put us in an early hole but the team does enough the rest of the game to look like it can still grab the win. But when we absolutely need it, the team can’t make a play - whether it’s getting the all important stop or getting the winning score. Short yardage and situational awareness struggles abound.

I’m still upset that we only got 3 points after their muffed punt return.

The OLine looks so good at times and then so very bad at times.

Bunch didn’t look prepared at the start of the game in my opinion, which maybe I had too high of expectations.

I’m interested to see how this team handles a major road game next week. Defense has been pretty gutsy so far and we will hopefully have Martinez back. 

• Fire 1
13 hours ago, Roxy15 said:

Be patient! Good things come to those who wait!  The husker players feel bad enough as it is!  Think about this:  Let’s dance in the rain instead of worrying about the tough starts the Huskers have had.  They feel awful too.  Stay positive!

2EE09353-FAC2-4C57-BBB1-81DA98BE52A3.jpeg

Patience ought not require that we wait forever!    I believe Frost, up to now atleast, planned on winning about half or more of the games THIS season while he waited impatiently for real improvement next year and the years thereafter.  I suspect the shock is now setting in for many, perhaps even to include some of the coaches, that finding even  one or two wins this fall is going to involve some serious luck.   Ugh.   Frost will EARN every one of those 5 million dollars I am sure.   But, if anyone can turn the Huskers around, it will be Frost with Osborne looking on from the back seat for advice and counsel.

NOTE:   Noah didn't sit around waiting and dancing in the rain, he built hisself an ARC!   lol

12 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Patience ought not require that we wait forever!    I believe Frost, up to now atleast, planned on winning about half or more of the games THIS season while he waited impatiently for real improvement next year and the years thereafter.  I suspect the shock is now setting in for many, perhaps even to include some of the coaches, that finding even  one or two wins this fall is going to involve some serious luck.   Ugh.   Frost will EARN every one of those 5 million dollars I am sure.   But, if anyone can turn the Huskers around, it will be Frost with Osborne looking on from the back seat for advice and counsel.

NOTE:   Noah didn't sit around waiting and dancing in the rain, he built hisself an ARC!   lol

Wrong

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

The Good

Maurice Washington - Frost is right, he's special.  17 touches, 106 yards.  I could go for a few more

Defense was very good for 52 out of 55 plays.  2.5 yards per play on those 52

Safety play (other than AWilliams' PI - which was bogus) - Three of our four leading tacklers

The Bad

The offensive gameplan - too conservative.  Played into Troy's hands.  They doubled Morgan and sold out to stop the run.  We didn't do much else

Bunch - He was in a bad spot but he seemed to lock in and made several bad decisions

Defensive alignment - seemed like we were WAY out of position several times, or at least didn't have any help past the first level

The Ugly (other than the loss itself)

Lamar Jackson - beaten early, often and badly.  Even his INT should have been simultaneous possession to the offense

Troy's last TD drive - converted three 3rd & 9s

Front 7 have given us mostly all we can ask for. The 2 TD runs weren't good, but man other than that the D swarms to the run

Now that I’m sober....

LB play is really good.

DL play is pretty decent

DB play is still trash

ST play is still 450

Washington is the best RB but teams are going to figure out that he cuts to the outside a lot and be prepared for that

Bunch is not a good QB.  Not to say in a couple more years of training he won’t be. But he isn’t now and people need to realize Frost and Verduzco are not the miracle QB developers many have made them out to be.

The OL sucked from the first snap.  Bench them all and play someone else.  Can’t get much worse than that

Receivers need to help their QB.  It’s the only way we will possibly see even 1 win this year

These coaches will not clean up penalties. It’s not what they do.

These coaches took a lot of public shots at the last coaching staff.  Everyone loved it.  What did they get from it?

• Plus1 3

I said before the season that i was worried about D/C. I still am. Gave up a ton of points while at UCF, And still doesn't shut anyone down. Yes the players swarm to the ball on 1st and 2nd downs, but can't seem to stop anybody on 3rd at crunch time. or it's a penalty to keep drive alive. Misdirection plays yesterday was leaving lanes wide open, no one was staying home to play their position. 

Yeah I know and I'm just like the rest of you, let them get some more reps, and the coaches get their players, in the next couple of yrs.

I believe in Frost, he is the right man. I hope he can make the tough moves, if he has to.

BC/Coz

MR/ B/

Frost/??

GBR!!!