Where does Frost go from here

24 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

As I said in the game thread, Frost needs to do some soul searching on defense. His successes at both Oregon and UCF relied on an offense that could outscore the other teams offense in a high scoring game. His UCF team gave up tons of points to its biggest competition last year....South Florida...and had to rely on the offense keeping pace.  I dont think that approach will work in the BIG and I think he needs to sit down and study defensive philosophy just as much as he has the offense. Nebraska needs to focus on having a truly dominant defense....not one that can stop the opponent just enough times to allow the offense to win a shootout.  

I think Frost is well aware of our defensive deficiencies and knows what must be done.

Future, future, etc.  Everyone needs to step back some and face reality just a little bit.  Frost was only at UCF for 2 years.  Follow along with this some.  Two seasons at UCF, defense wasn't very good, but they won games.  Frost and Chinander really didn't have a full chance at recruiting what they even wanted there for a defense yet.  Two seasons.  Now they are here, 8 months after being hired.  We expect what?  We are expecting a 9 win team?  This was a 4-8 team last season.  Sometimes you have got to call a spade a spade.  We don't have the ponies to play there style yet.  Don't think that UCF had the ponies yet on D.  Two seasons= one full season of recruiting.  So we have a staff that has been doing this for 3 season now, 2 1/2 actually so far.  We are expecting what again?  We have a football program that has lost its identity completely.  It took 15 seasons of bad hirings and bad firings, but this is where we are right now.  

We are expecting what again, in year one?

• Plus1 1

Here in a nutshell is what happens each year we are struggling:  Fire the DC, run the ball more, stop passing so much, power football wins, etc.  Not going to disagree with some of those things, but its clearly not that simple is it?  We stopped developing our players a long time ago.  Partly because we have a win now mentality, forget the future, win now. Were not Alabama, Florida St, Clemson, Texas, OU, or Ohio St.  We don't have that kind of recruiting base, never have had that.  We have to recruit 3 and 4 star talent and build them into solid college players first.  Those teams above don't have to wait to get instant gratification.  They recruit the best each season, and win most of there games based on talent first, and coaching second.   The pipeline didn't start here in one season, it was built over years and maintained for years.  Allow that to happen now, and this will be a good thing in  few more seasons.  This staff hasn't really ever had a chance to see thru a full 4 year cycle of recruiting and building on that yet.  So relax some and give this time.  So what if we go 3-9 this season.  So what.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Future, future, etc.  Everyone needs to step back some and face reality just a little bit.  Frost was only at UCF for 2 years.  Follow along with this some.  Two seasons at UCF, defense wasn't very good, but they won games.  Frost and Chinander really didn't have a full chance at recruiting what they even wanted there for a defense yet.  Two seasons.  Now they are here, 8 months after being hired.  We expect what?  We are expecting a 9 win team?  This was a 4-8 team last season.  Sometimes you have got to call a spade a spade.  We don't have the ponies to play there style yet.  Don't think that UCF had the ponies yet on D.  Two seasons= one full season of recruiting.  So we have a staff that has been doing this for 3 season now, 2 1/2 actually so far.  We are expecting what again?  We have a football program that has lost its identity completely.  It took 15 seasons of bad hirings and bad firings, but this is where we are right now.  

Entitled Nebraska fans chase him back to Florida. No  one gives him time and we never know we hire a 6-6 coach and we settle into a coach that is .500, that is the trend of recent.

Edit we also ignore the recent Bama comments about fans not deserving anything and being spoiled. It is the start of the down fall of Bama in my opinion. The same thing that happened to the Huskers.  Everyone assumed because we are world beaters we are....

50 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

And you are basing this statement on what? I mean sure we all know thar penalties and poor tackling are an issue, but what other specific things has he said that shows what must be done?

From Frost

"We just don't look like them right now"

Frost has also said "can't" and "won't" are the same.

What does Frost need to do?  Bring a guy in who is better than Luke Gifford, or Carlos Davis, or Freedom Akinmoladun, or any other guy who doesn't make the tackle when it's there to be made.....especially TFL.

You can give Stille all the "rah rah" speeches you want, but he doesn't have the raw talent at DE of say a Grant Wistrom, who was an animal at TFLs.

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

How about winning a few home games?  Beating Akron/Bethune-Cookman, Colorado, Troy, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois.  6 wins was not that difficult.  I'm completely in on Frost but no one expected this.  This whole thing is giving much credibility to Pelini, Riley, Diaco, etc.  Those guys never will have the luxury Frost does.  Basically it looks like Frost will be allowed to burn this thing down in order to rebuild it back up.    

10 hours ago, chamrocck said:

How about winning a few home games?  Beating Akron/Bethune-Cookman, Colorado, Troy, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois.  6 wins was not that difficult.  I'm completely in on Frost but no one expected this.  This whole thing is giving much credibility to Pelini, Riley, Diaco, etc.  Those guys never will have the luxury Frost does.  Basically it looks like Frost will be allowed to burn this thing down in order to rebuild it back up.    

How exactly is this giving ANY credibility to Riley?

On 9/22/2018 at 1:40 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

Given his first season has been a bust so far and his team looks worse than any Husker team I have ever seen in my lifetime, where does he go for the remainder of the season.  A few things I would consider:

1.  Does he switch schemes while trying to adapt the offensive and defensive approaches to BIG football. His comment during his announcement interview that other teams would be adapting to his style of play does not cut it as his schemes are not working.  I think he needs to find something that can work so the young players can gain some level of confidence.

2.  Does he bench most of the upperclassmen and allow the youngsters to get a lot of PT in preparation for 2019?  I say yes.

3.  For those on the team that are "cancers" and bringing the other guys down, does he dismiss them from the team?  I would hope so.

What other things should be done since we have truly hit rock bottom as a program?

Look, growing up watching the Huskers as a teenager in the 90's, any loss would ruin my fall, let alone my Saturday.

Right now, Frost and the program need a win badly. 

I can tell you Paul Chryst would rather go up against his buddy Mikey Riley than Scott Frost. While Wisconsin is big and powerful, Nebraska's passing game and mobile QB can and will give Wisconsin fits in the future. The game needs to slow down for Adrian Martinez. While his stats were gaudy, he missed some opportunities that were learning experiences. If he can grow and capitalize on them, watch out. 

I think Frost's scheme offensive scheme of speedy WR,  running game, and a mobile/accurate QB could give Big Ten West opponents fits. We need to trust the process and allow Frost the time to develop his offense. Last night, I saw progress and a path forward for success vs. Wisconsin.

The talent, size, and development gap between Nebraska and Wisconsin on the front lines can't be made up in one recruiting class, nor one offseason of a new strength and conditioning.

The program was really at rock bottom this time last year. The program needs to get that first win and break that streak. The players don't know how to win, don't believe they can win, and are frustrated as hell. But if they keep pushing, they will get there, and hopefully before Bethune Cookman.

The Huskers are laying the foundation right now and it's starting with the basement. Basements aren't pretty, but no sense filling up the basement to put a mobile home over it. 

Build it right.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1