Why we can't win...

I blame the PA disc jockey. "I felt the rains down in Africa"? What the hell, are we trying to lull ourselves to death? Who thinks a terrible BALLAD from 1983 is a good idea in the middle of a football game? It doesn't relate lyrically or have ANY energy. So weak. Don't ask me how I feel about "electric avenue", at least it's crowd-pleasingly stupid, even if it's terrible.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, bobsmithers said:

I blame the PA disc jockey. "I felt the rains down in Africa"? What the hell, are we trying to lull ourselves to death? Who thinks a terrible BALLAD from 1983 is a good idea in the middle of a football game? It doesn't relate lyrically or have ANY energy. So weak. Don't ask me how I feel about "electric avenue", at least it's crowd-pleasingly stupid, even if it's terrible.

If there were a way to downvote, I would devote the rest of my night to making burner accounts just to neg this post. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, bobsmithers said:

I have to agree. I heard Toto’s Africa being played in the stadium over my TV and the timing for it was just terrible. All I could think was WTF, this guy must be a Purdue plant.

BTW, I like the song and don’t think it’s a terrible ballad but it probably has no business being used at a football game and definitely not in the context it was used.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, bobsmithers said:

This is the worst possible first post you could ever have. Delete your account, unplug your router, throw your computer into the bathtub, and go purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka. 

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I have to agree. I heard Toto’s Africa being played in the stadium over my TV and the timing for it was just terrible. All I could think was WTF, this guy must be a Purdue plant.

This is the worst possible 10,356th post you could ever have. Delete your account, unplug your router, throw your computer into the bathtub, and go purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

This is the worst possible first post you could ever have. Delete your account, unplug your router, throw your computer into the bathtub, and go purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka. 

This is the worst possible 10,356th post you could ever have. Delete your account, unplug your router, throw your computer into the bathtub, and go purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka. 

Ha, I’ll agree it’s not a good first ever post but cut me a little slack. 10,356......there has to be a couple dogs in there.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

FYI Weezer just did a cover of Africa that is all the rage now.  That’s what they were playing.

Oooohhh....Weezer, that makes it better :P

Seriously though, the short snippet I heard on TV sounded exactly like the Toto original. I thought they were trying to admit defeat and take the crowd out of the game but I couldn’t figure out why.

* heads for the Google machine to find weezer version*

• Plus1 1

Also, they played it during the lightening delay of the "first game" against Akron and the whole student section sung along. So, it's got a little bit of tradition going I guess...

It's a sick jam though. One of my favs from Toto or Weezer!

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, bobsmithers said:

"I felt the rains down in Africa"?

Africa is probably one of the most misquoted songs out there, but I don't think I've heard that particular misquote before...

• Plus1 2