Martinez Sets Husker Freshman Passing Record

Mavric

37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ya, he’s probably the best example. Troy Davis is still the only player to rush for over 2,000 yards 2 seasons in a row and that was in 11 games each time because ISU didn’t go to a bowl. 

And it’s not even supposed to he a best player award. MVP is different than best player. Tua Tagovailoa might be the best player but should never win an MVP award. We all know Alabama would almost certainly get to the playoff if he hadn’t played a single down this season. You can’t be an MVP when your backup got you to the NC twice in a row and there are so many players who were a much bigger difference to their teams.

Thanks for remembering his name.  We lived in Iowa at the time and man...he was fun to watch run.

RGIII was probably the most recent Heisman winner who didn't play on one of the "best" teams. I think Baylor finished 10-3 that year.

But, yeah, I don't think there's any question that this isn't a "best player" award. Suh would've won hands down if this were the case. It goes to the most outstanding player (which is open to interpretation) on one of the best teams. I don't necessarily begrudge people their opinion, either. It's hard to say someone is a Heisman candidate if their team sucks. I get it even though I don't fully agree with it.

10 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I was actually asking a serious question.  I know in the modern era of football for the most part if your team has more than one loss you probably aren't winning the Heisman regardless of stats.  which I don't agree with since its supposed to go to the best player,  not the best player on the best team.

Yeah, it's pretty much the most-hyped-quarterback-or-running-back-on-a-national-championship-contending-team trophy.

It's been over 20 years since a non-QB/RB won it - Charles Woodson in 1997.

34 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In 2016, Patrick Mahomes passed for over 5,000 yards and 41 TDs and received no Heisman votes.

The Heisman is the biggest joke of an award college football has.  It has nothing to do with the best player in the country these days, only who is good on the best team, and most of the time it's a quarterback even if they aren't the best player on their own team. 

47 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The Heisman is the biggest joke of an award college football has.  It has nothing to do with the best player in the country these days, only who is good on the best team, and most of the time it's a quarterback even if they aren't the best player on their own team. 

On the other hand, they do tend to avoid gaudy stats, and don't just hand it over to the passing leaders, which is why we don't talk about guys like Nick Florence, Connor Halliday, David Fales, Brandon Doughty, Luke Falk and any QB from Louisiana Tech. Or why Patrick Mahomes didn't get any love until his game translated to the NFL. 

Tommie Frazier's stats didn't exactly jump off the page -- Martinez has basically surpassed them in less than 6 games --  but voters recognized a winner. Even if we didn't agree with the final result, it's pretty impressive Tommie came in second in the Heisman.

Since QB is about leadership, it would be odd to honor a quarterback on losing or less than successful team.  

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

On the other hand, they do tend to avoid gaudy stats, and don't just hand it over to the passing leaders, which is why we don't talk about guys like Nick Florence, Connor Halliday, David Fales, Brandon Doughty, Luke Falk and any QB from Louisiana Tech. Or why Patrick Mahomes didn't get any love until his game translated to the NFL. 

Tommie Frazier's stats didn't exactly jump off the page -- Martinez has basically surpassed them in less than 6 games --  but voters recognized a winner. Even if we didn't agree with the final result, it's pretty impressive Tommie came in second in the Heisman.

Since QB is about leadership, it would be odd to honor a quarterback on losing or less than successful team.  

I understand the argument you are trying to make, but that describes a team award, or even a leadership award.  They tout it as an award for the best college football player overall, but if you aren't surrounded by an undefeated team you have no chance.   A guy might be a great leader,  but didn't go to one of ten schools who can go undefeated.  

I agree gaudy stats don't simply mean best player.  Does anyone outside of Alabama think Mark Ingram was really a better college football player than Suh in 2009? 

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I understand the argument you are trying to make, but that describes a team award, or even a leadership award.  They tout it as an award for the best college football player overall, but if you aren't surrounded by an undefeated team you have no chance.   A guy might be a great leader,  but didn't go to one of ten schools who can go undefeated.  

I agree gaudy stats don't simply mean best player.  Does anyone outside of Alabama think Mark Ingram was really a better college football player than Suh in 2009? 

Definitely not. People pretty much unanimously agree that Suh deserved the award, and he maybe could've if it weren't for all the people who voted early. 

But then again, RGIII and Tebow won while on teams that were only pretty good and far from great, for example, and players like Manziel, Mayfield and Mariota were pretty clearly elite once in a generation type players even if some other players at non-sexy positions were a similar caliber.

I think Martinez is having a great season, but we got a game canceled and he missed another due to injury. Just don’t think he’s played at “best in college” level this season. 

If he continues to progress and stays healthy I see no reason he won’t be in that talk at some point soon. Just not this year. 

Martinez will have most of the QB records by the time he's done. He's putting up these kinds of numbers while still fighting through the learning process, not only his learning but his teammates. It's tough enough starting at a program with these expectations, but he's doing it on a team where everyone has to go through that process with him. He's no where near his ceiling, and that's really exciting.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, brophog said:

Martinez will have most of the QB records by the time he's done. He's putting up these kinds of numbers while still fighting through the learning process, not only his learning but his teammates. It's tough enough starting at a program with these expectations, but he's doing it on a team where everyone has to go through that process with him. He's no where near his ceiling, and that's really exciting.

And that's the crazy part.  Another year for the entire O to be in the system, another year with S&C, recruiting guys for this scheme etc....Oh, and prior to starting this year, he hadn't played in a year.....