The Angry Violent Right

17 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My brother drives past the big Deguns Gun Store just east of Lincoln almost every day, and at different times of day. 

He says they just took down the big Trump flag that flew outside and replaced it with the big yellow Don't Tread on Me flag.

He also says the parking lot is sometimes packed long after closing hours. 

I think we've moved into militia mode.

Can't say I thought 2021 would solve everything, but I 'd hoped for better.  The angry violent right and elected Republicans seem to be doubling down on civil war

Related to the "miitiia mode" ---  a high percentage of GOPers say violence may be necessary in this poll

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/11/966498544/a-scary-survey-finding-4-in-10-republicans-say-political-violence-may-be-necessa

The mob that attacked the U.S. Capitol may have been a fringe group of extremists, but politically motivated violence has the support of a significant share of the U.S. public, according to a new survey by the American Enterprise Institute (AEI).

The survey found that nearly three in 10 Americans, including 39% of Republicans, agreed that, "If elected leaders will not protect America, the people must do it themselves, even if it requires violent actions."

That result was "a really dramatic finding," says Daniel Cox, director of the AEI Survey Center on American Life. "I think any time you have a significant number of the public saying use of force can be justified in our political system, that's pretty scary."

The survey found stark divisions between Republicans and Democrats on the 2020 presidential election, with two out of three Republicans saying President Biden was not legitimately elected, while 98% of Democrats and 73% of Independents acknowledged Biden's victory.

The level of distrust among Republicans evident in the survey was such that about eight in 10 said the current political system is "stacked against conservatives and people with traditional values." A majority agreed with the statement, "The traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast that we may have to use force to save it."

The survey found that to be a minority sentiment — two out of three Americans overall rejected the use of violence in pursuit of political ends – and Cox emphasized that the finding reflected "attitudes and beliefs" rather than a disposition to do something.

"If I believe something, I may act on it, and I may not," Cox says. "We shouldn't run out and say, 'Oh, my goodness, 40% of Republicans are going to attack the Capitol,' But under the right circumstances, if you have this worldview, then you are more inclined to act in a certain way if you are presented with that option."

The AEI survey found that partisan divisions were also evident along religious lines. About three in five white evangelicals told the pollsters that Joe Biden was not

legitimately elected, that it was not accurate to say Trump encouraged the attack on the Capitol, and that a Biden presidency now has them feeling disappointed, angry or frightened.

On all those questions, Cox says, white evangelicals are "politically quite distinct." Majorities of white mainline Protestants, Black Protestants, Catholics, followers of non-Christian religions and the religiously unaffiliated all viewed Biden's victory as legitimate.

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I gotta admit, if a couple state officials or federal judges had gone the wrong way, and Trump continued to rule as an unelected President, physical confrontation would have been the only tool left in the box. 

Yep, I can see how that could have cut both ways.   A coupe has to be addressed by removal.   But we are talking about two different situations here - lawful confrontation to remove someone like Trump holding the office wrongfully vs the riot we saw on Jan 6

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yep, I can see how that could have cut both ways.   A coupe has to be addressed by removal.   But we are talking about two different situations here - lawful confrontation to remove someone like Trump holding the office wrongfully vs the riot we saw on Jan 6

I wouldn't promise that the angry mob that shows up when Trump declares himself dictator wouldn't get violent --- or literally drag him out of the White House. s#!t got nasty with dictators like Mussolini and Ceaușescu, and history did not judge the mobs as wrongful. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I gotta admit, if a couple state officials or federal judges had gone the wrong way, and Trump continued to rule as an unelected President, physical confrontation would have been the only tool left in the box. 

I just saw a story from AP or USAToday I believe that said a little over 100,000 total votes in the last election from having the GOP controlling all three branches of government.  Any Dem who thinks they have a mandate to put into place a far left policy forum is wildly wrong and would position the GOP well in 2022.  

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I just saw a story from AP or USAToday I believe that said a little over 100,000 total votes in the last election from having the GOP controlling all three branches of government.  Any Dem who thinks they have a mandate to put into place a far left policy forum is wildly wrong and would position the GOP well in 2022.  

And yet there was a difference of 7 million votes between the two Presidential candidates...

Also, a party shouldn't be controlling the judiciary...

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

And yet there was a difference of 7 million votes between the two Presidential candidates...

IF what Archy said he saw is true, there's something really wrong with a system where a candidate wins by 7 million, but in reality it was 100,000.

35 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

trump  had a mandate to push his far right agenda and he lost the popular vote.  :dunno   and far left policy would have been bernie.    biden is the closest to center politician  out there.  if the far right spins him as far left....well.....that is the far right propaganda machine at work.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Not being flippant here, but judiciary’s are an independent part of government.  Parties nominate and vote on judges but do not control them and how they adjudicate law. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, commando said:

trump  had a mandate to push his far right agenda and he lost the popular vote.  :dunno   and far left policy would have been bernie.    biden is the closest to center politician  out there.  if the far right spins him as far left....well.....that is the far right propaganda machine at work.

Biden has been anything but centrist to this point.  

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Reading back, need to correct my lingo for those who knew what I was referencing (Especially those that replied and also didn’t catch the wording mistake) but also those who knew I typed it up wrong.  

I was referring to House, Senate, Pres.  Not the Branches, though I typed Branches.  I regret my error and poor choice of wording. I will strive to do better in the future and am thankful I was able to correct this so soon as to not cause anyone harm. 
Signed,

Yours truly. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Biden has been anything but centrist to this point.  

Refreshingly, Biden has leaned a little more progressive than many expected, especially in terms of the environment, which really can't wait around for dithering and compromise. 

Otherwise, Joe and the Dems have us on the slippery slope to the same America we've lived in most of our lives.