That Talent Question Again

12 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Yeah everyone around here knows you can't win championships without in state kids 

I definitely think they help. A motivated player can play above their talent level and can push the more talented players. We’re far from a championship team but I see Gifford and Stille lead the team in sacks and are 1st and 3rd in TFL.

13 hours ago, HuskerMoon said:

I'm not buying.  If you can get a kid to freeze their butt off in Ann Arbor Michigan or lure them with the thrills of Columbus Ohio, you can draw them to Lincoln, Nebraska. All you need to do is win. Callahan, and Pelini all brought top tier talent to Lincoln, proving it can be done. It's a given that it didn't get to Osborne levels, but nobody had ten years to build, which Frost will get and then some.

I think Utah was second only to Alabama in sending players to the NFL last year.

Utah is in Utah. 

17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Fair enough, and then Utah only had 1 guy drafted in 2018, so I would say 2017 was an outlier.

I get what you are saying though, there can be "talent" all over the country.  In fact, I think that NU was helped in the 90s by an uptick in the overall talent level in the state of Nebraska, most of whom ended up going to NU for college.  That talent waned in the late 90s and early 2000s, but Solich tried to continue to build his teams around that Nebraska talent (along with overall poor recruiting by Solich), and the team suffered.

They don't have to be 4 and 5 stars on paper to be top tier talent on the field. If he builds it (the foundation that he's already building) they will come. It's not about geography or stars next to your name or hype. It's about work ethic, heart, fitting in the system, and talent that can be built upon. That is what will create the elite level talent that Scott Frost will hone into a powerhouse program again. 

I think development is key.  We are seeing "more from less" in year one with Frost and Co.  He seems to have done what few coaches have done at NU the past 15 years.  Develop kids.  I found myself through Cally, Bo and Riley saying that many of the kids best year was the first year hear as their performance wouldn't really improve.  With Frost, he seems to  have done a good job.  S&C, system, identity culture, coaching etc have all played into this.  

Dabo has Clemson doing very well....In 2017 he had 56% blue chip kids (*4*,5*) and in 2018 he had 61%.  FSU had 65% and 67%.  Clemson lower, but MUCH better record.  That's development coupled with talent. Winning makes recruiting a whole lot easier.  Frost was and is still a hot commodity.  When talking heads are saying "watch out", recruits are listening.  They are seeing a program trending up with a much higher ceiling than we have had since Frank was here IMO. They are seeing spots of need that they can compete for immediately.  They see true fresh playing (the 4 game RS helps this IMHO).  

I think in the area of the non-scientific 'eye ball" test we are lacking in some areas.  Speed being one.  Game changers at each level that opposing DC'OC need to account for.  BUT, we have a rare commodity in Frost.  A coach who can spot talent, develop that talent and go toe to toe with the perceived "elite" for kids.  It took much less time than I thought to flip the culture.  We are improving on both sides of the ball.  I expect recruiting to follow this same trend. A game changer here and there, sprinkled in with kids who have the intangibles Frost and Co are looking for.  Winning, will make recruiting easier across the board.  

37 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Of course they are but they didn't recruit the kind of talent that a team thats consistently ranked in the top ten are. Suh and david were exceptions not the rule. 

I'd also give a lot of credit to Bo on Suh.  But, IIRC, if not for injury unsure if David would have seen the field.  I think after David's 64 tackles against OSU, Bo said he did alright.  Once he started, Bo and Co kept him going.  Ruud is another one who gave Bo credit for really upping his game......I guess I'm going back to talent and development are great combinations.

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I'd also give a lot of credit to Bo on Suh.  But, IIRC, if not for injury unsure if David would have seen the field.  I think after David's 64 tackles against OSU, Bo said he did alright.  Once he started, Bo and Co kept him going.  Ruud is another one who gave Bo credit for really upping his game......I guess I'm going back to talent and development are great combinations.

Yeah i think it was sean fisher broke his leg and that opened the door for david. Pelini and his staff did a very good job developing cal's guys. But once those guys left the defense dropped off because they weren't recruiting good enough guys plus the conference change. Development is important but you cant turn just anybody into a all conference guy. 

I think that if frost cant recruit around 15 and process out guys that are contributing by their rs jr year, there's no limit for what he can accomplish.

39 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah i think it was sean fisher broke his leg and that opened the door for david. Pelini and his staff did a very good job developing cal's guys. But once those guys left the defense dropped off because they weren't recruiting good enough guys plus the conference change. Development is important but you cant turn just anybody into a all conference guy. 

I think that if frost cant recruit around 15 and process out guys that are contributing by their rs jr year, there's no limit for what he can accomplish.

Agree with all your points.  Good memory on Fisher!  Couldn't remember who it was.  Frost appears to be able to develop guys.  I'm guessing if he continues to recruit where he is currently (say top 20) he can develop the guys into better performance than their initial rankings.  For the first time in a long time we are in good hands.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, lo country said:

Agree with all your points.  Good memory on Fisher!  Couldn't remember who it was.  Frost appears to be able to develop guys.  I'm guessing if he continues to recruit where he is currently (say top 20) he can develop the guys into better performance than their initial rankings.  For the first time in a long time we are in good hands.

I think frost can eventually dominate the west. But beating whoever comes out of the east will be a challenge. Wisconsin has been very good for years but their record against Ohio State over the last 10 years is awful.

I think frost is an elite coach who can do more with less. But Michigan, Ohio State and PSU will always have a lot of money to hire elite coaches and have huge recruiting advantages. That's a lot for frost to eventually overcome. Got to set up shop in Kansas City and St Louis and land more talent there.

• Plus1 2