The Better America of our Dreams

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s my first time in DC and I’m trying to soak a lot of things in.  It’s been a great experience.  But the picture below was taken in front of the WH and may be my favorite part of the trip.

There was a street performer that was taking song requests for any donation.  A Saudi tourist asked him to play her national anthem.  When the music started, her group of friends along with a small girl, maybe 8-9 yo, noticed.  The little girl’s eyes lit up as she ran to the guy and listened.

This was in front of the White House.  The people that noticed just stood and smiled. Listening to another anthem, in that setting made me appreciate our freedoms more than any other site in DC.

edit: can’t get picture attached, but I swear it happened!!! :P

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

It’s my first time in DC and I’m trying to soak a lot of things in.  It’s been a great experience.  But the picture below was taken in front of the WH and may be my favorite part of the trip.

There was a street performer that was taking song requests for any donation.  A Saudi tourist asked him to play her national anthem.  When the music started, her group of friends along with a small girl, maybe 8-9 yo, noticed.  The little girl’s eyes lit up as she ran to the guy and listened.

This was in front of the White House.  The people that noticed just stood and smiled. Listening to another anthem, in that setting made me appreciate our freedoms more than any other site in DC.

edit: can’t get picture attached, but I swear it happened!!! :P

That's a great story.

I was there once for work and woke up early and went for a walk.  I was staying across the river in Arlington.  It didn't even dawn on me till I turned the corner and saw the entrance to Arlington National Cemetery that I was so close to it.  I took a long walk through on a warm foggy morning.  It was just surreal. 

Washington DC is a city like no other.  When you're crossing the river and look down and there's military helicopters flying up and down transporting someone important to and from the pentagon.  Then, you go down the street and all of a sudden come across three black suburbans with guys standing around heavily armed.  Then, go walk through the mall and it usually is a rather peaceful feeling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

27 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Haven't posted here in some time, but thought this might generate bipartisan support. 

Not gonna say this isn’t true, nor will I say it changes the point being made but I just googled each of their net worths and got results of $120M for Pelosi and $35M for the turtle.

I’m pretty sure you would find similar results for almost all senators and congress persons, especially long timers. DC has a way of making the typical South American graft look like child's play.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Not gonna say this isn’t true, nor will I say it changes the point being made but I just googled each of their net worths and got results of $120M for Pelosi and $35M for the turtle.

I’m pretty sure you would find similar results for almost all senators and congress persons, especially long timers. DC has a way of making the typical South American graft look like child's play.

I certainly don't certify the totals...but the thought is the same.  Term limits are called for when presented with ANY similar numbers 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
54 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I certainly don't certify the totals...but the thought is the same.  Term limits are called for when presented with ANY similar numbers 

Agree. And in addition to term limits, a lot more stringent controls on eliminating how they can profit simply by being elected officials. What they get away with is criminal. They’re supposed to serve us, not themselves.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Term limits for every single federal job without exception is a no-brainer to me.

Strict regulations around being able to personally benefit from insider information while serving in the federal government is also a no-brainer to me.

• Plus1 1