Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm glad we've reached the point in the off-season where we're arguing about whether or not we claim something that nearly every fan base in the country has claimed at some point.

Must mean the season is getting closer.

Do they write it on their stadiums though?! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 1:27 PM, runningblind said:

It's written on the stadium....

husker_happiness_004.0.thumb.jpg.70f69e9e9ff59fe5113308402df2d9af.jpg

I don't think other coaches/players/fans did that.

Correct, but I'm pretty positive that we were being called that by opposing fans/teams/coaches/talking heads LONG before that was put on the walls... Still not what I would consider "self anointed"

1 hour ago, JoeHuskers! said:

Correct, but I'm pretty positive that we were being called that by opposing fans/teams/coaches/talking heads LONG before that was put on the walls... Still not what I would consider "self anointed"

You can quibble over the wording all you want, but it's still cringe imo.

If you're a star quarterback, there's a big difference between everyone around you praising you for how great you are, versus you saying, "Yeah, I am the star. I am the best."

• TBH 2
4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

You can quibble over the wording all you want, but it's still cringe imo.

If you're a star quarterback, there's a big difference between everyone around you praising you for how great you are, versus you saying, "Yeah, I am the star. I am the best."

Eh, I get why some would think it’s cringe but it has always struck me as more a thank you message to the home fans instead of a literal proclamation to all of CFB. Unfortunately some take it literally.

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Backup Iowa kicker that didn't play in the game in question.

And another kid who used his mom's name/info on the betting account.

So, is all this just within the justice system and the school/conference/NCAA doesn't have anything to do with it?  Or, is Iowa looking at NCAA issues too?

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, is all this just within the justice system and the school/conference/NCAA doesn't have anything to do with it?  Or, is Iowa looking at NCAA issues too?

That is what it seems like, just a justice system thing.  And I guess will lead to the kids losing their eligibility (an NCAA thing) since there are charges against them.

Like I said above, no way college athletes gambling on their schools is only happening in the state of Iowa.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

That is what it seems like, just a justice system thing.  And I guess will lead to the kids losing their eligibility (an NCAA thing) since there are charges against them.

Like I said above, no way college athletes gambling on their schools is only happening in the state of Iowa.

Where is all this evidence coming from?  Did a bookie get busted or something?

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Is Iowa at risk of getting punished as a program?

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Where is all this evidence coming from?  Did a bookie get busted or something?

No bookies, but online sports books (Fan Duel, Draft Kings, Caesars, etc).  I mean you have to sign up with your name, address, etc.  So if you are a D1 athlete and are dumb enough to bet on your team, you are going to get caught sooner or later I would think.

Also, the online sports books know the location of where you are when you place your bets.  So for the guys who were using fake names or their parents account, my guess is these guys were betting via their phone at team facilities. 

I would assume the Iowa Dept of Gaming asked the books for any info related to all athletes names and/or if any bets happened in team facilities and were provided a list of accounts.

Also, (I think) according to NCAA rules, athletes can gamble, but are not allowed to gamble on either their sport or any of their school's teams.