Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Probably.  I just think it’s dumb.  Warn the kids.  Educate them and move on.

Iowa blows.  But what blows worse is unnecessary government overreach.

What???  These kids have the ability to influence who wins the games they are betting on. 

This is a huge and serious issue. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What???  These kids have the ability to influence who wins the games they are betting on. 

This is a huge and serious issue. 

If they are betting on their games, I get it.  If not, who cares?  Slap on the wrist and move on.

Maybe this could be used as a positive to develop training/awareness for student athletes rather than giving them the death penalty.

58 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

If they are betting on their games, I get it.  If not, who cares?  Slap on the wrist and move on.

Maybe this could be used as a positive to develop training/awareness for student athletes rather than giving them the death penalty.

I believe they are only banned from playing again if they bet on sports at their own school.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe they are only banned from playing again if they bet on sports at their own school.

Like I said, it's pretty bad to bet on your own team.  Even worse to bet against.  I think betting unders/overs on your own game is as bad a betting against.

The video you just posted attempts to suggest that he bet against his team, the cover, or over/under.  I don't know that there is any evidence of that at this point (Nebraska game), but I've only looked at a few articles.  I saw allegations he took the under against Northwestern in a game he broke several tackles to score a TD.  If he did bet under, which would be unexplainable, he definitely would need to go.  I feel like I'm defending this guy, which I'm not.  I think he should be done.

One alarming aspect to this story is how there are claims that parents helped several of these kids set up accounts.  That's pretty sad.

I couldn't care less if they bet on a basketball game at the same school they went to.  Do I agree with the gambling...no.  Do I think it's worth all this effort and banning a kid that F's up....nope.

I understand the opposing view and I get it.  It's just my opinion.

Iowa State tailback Jirehl Brock among several charged for gambling (usatoday.com)

Iowa football betting scandal, explained: Players, student manager alleged to have bet on Hawkeyes games (msn.com)

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Like I said, it's pretty bad to bet on your own team.  Even worse to bet against.  I think betting unders/overs on your own game is as bad a betting against.

The video you just posted attempts to suggest that he bet against his team, the cover, or over/under.  I don't know that there is any evidence of that at this point (Nebraska game), but I've only looked at a few articles.  I saw allegations he took the under against Northwestern in a game he broke several tackles to score a TD.  If he did bet under, which would be unexplainable, he definitely would need to go.  I feel like I'm defending this guy, which I'm not.  I think he should be done.

One alarming aspect to this story is how there are claims that parents helped several of these kids set up accounts.  That's pretty sad.

I couldn't care less if they bet on a basketball game at the same school they went to.  Do I agree with the gambling...no.  Do I think it's worth all this effort and banning a kid that F's up....nope.

I understand the opposing view and I get it.  It's just my opinion.

Iowa State tailback Jirehl Brock among several charged for gambling (usatoday.com)

Iowa football betting scandal, explained: Players, student manager alleged to have bet on Hawkeyes games (msn.com)

I think it's still pretty shady to bet on any games from your school.  You might have a friend on the basketball team that you could influence.  Or you could be placing the bet for that friend.

Not that you couldn't have friends from other schools.  But it's obviously way more likely from the same school.  So I don't think that's a terrible rule.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think it's still pretty shady to bet on any games from your school.  You might have a friend on the basketball team that you could influence.  Or you could be placing the bet for that friend.

Not that you couldn't have friends from other schools.  But it's obviously way more likely from the same school.  So I don't think that's a terrible rule.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think that was possible.  Unchecked it'd likely become reality.  You look at the amount of money these kids were spending and I have a hard time believing they were looking to influence outcomes for $50.  

It needs to stop.  It just seems overblown.  It reminds me of the college entry scam in a way.  I never understood why anyone cared that the lady from Full House spent a pile of money to get her kids into USC.

Scare the crap out of them, put a nice compliance video together and move on.  Nothing to see here.  Nancy Pelosi makes $225K a year and is worth $125M. 

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

It needs to stop.  It just seems overblown.

How do you stop it without making a big deal about it?

When I have employees doing something I really don't want them to do, I don't go to them and lightly just mention it.  If there's not serious consequences to their actions...they will keep doing it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How do you stop it without making a big deal about it?

When I have employees doing something I really don't want them to do, I don't go to them and lightly just mention it.  If there's not serious consequences to their actions...they will keep doing it.

I said what I'd do in the next paragraph.

If you're going to turn this into a "real world" example we can do that.  I don't know what "lightly" is to you or what regulations you work under, but there are plenty of things you can do.  You can suspend, demote, discipline, counsel or even PIP someone.  All of these can be done without firing them.  However, there are always things that are automatically fireable (Harassment, Violence, Sabotage, putting Dylan Mulvaney on a beer can). 

I don't think it's out of line for these kids to sit a year and possibly forfeit their scholly's while they are suspended.    This is just an example.  There is something between going to bed without dinner and being banned that seems more reasonable to me.  I think if you did not place bets on your team then getting "fired" is heavy.

2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Scare the crap out of them, put a nice compliance video together and move on.  Nothing to see here.

But they all have already been warned and and watched compliance videos countless times.  At some point you can’t just slap them on the wrist and tell them to watch another video.  

2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Nancy Pelosi makes $225K a year and is worth $125M. 

WTF does she have to do with college kids being caught gambling in Iowa?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

But they all have already been warned and and watched compliance videos countless times.  At some point you can’t just slap them on the wrist and tell them to watch another video.  

WTF does she have to do with college kids being caught gambling in Iowa?

Part 1:  I have no idea what they've watched countless times.  I have no doubt that they have gone over it at some point via pamphlet, powerpoint of video training.  I haven't been in meeting/training with them.  I've addressed the "slap on the wrist", so I'm not going there.

Part 2:  Crooks everywhere.  Our culture is now "Hang everyone in the town square".  In general, I believe our culture likes to see people suffer.  At a minimum they want to see people humiliated.  We are two pages into college football players betting $25ish bets and there are way bigger issues out there.  Yet so many are off limits.  It'd be great if we had the same passion for holding our "leaders" accountable as we did for Jesse Katsopolis' wife aunt Becky or a team manager in Iowa.

At the end of the day it's just a message board where we share our opinions.  Again, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or tell anyone they are wrong.  It's just my perspective.

4 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I said what I'd do in the next paragraph.

If you're going to turn this into a "real world" example we can do that.  I don't know what "lightly" is to you or what regulations you work under, but there are plenty of things you can do.  You can suspend, demote, discipline, counsel or even PIP someone.  All of these can be done without firing them.  However, there are always things that are automatically fireable (Harassment, Violence, Sabotage, putting Dylan Mulvaney on a beer can). 

I don't think it's out of line for these kids to sit a year and possibly forfeit their scholly's while they are suspended.    This is just an example.  There is something between going to bed without dinner and being banned that seems more reasonable to me.  I think if you did not place bets on your team then getting "fired" is heavy.

Pete Rose agrees with you.