Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don’t think it’s much to ask that  college athletes don’t bet on any collegiate sports. That’s a really low hurdle.  There are just too many options where it can go wrong. Therefore the penalty can and should be very stiff, loss of a year of playing and eligibility type stiff.

I bet on sports all the time but I am in no position to possibly influence a score or outcome. I think it’s crazy to think it should be allowed. JMO.

I also think it’s crazy that Pete Rose is not in the HOF yet. Ineligible for life is/was way too severe.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t think it’s much to ask that  college athletes don’t bet on any collegiate sports. That’s a really low hurdle.  There are just too many options where it can go wrong. Therefore the penalty can and should be very stiff, loss of a year of playing and eligibility type stiff.

I bet on sports all the time but I am in no position to possibly influence a score or outcome. I think it’s crazy to think it should be allowed. JMO.

I also think it’s crazy that Pete Rose is not in the HOF yet. Ineligible for life is/was way too severe.

It's called the hall of fame, not the hall of morality and integrity.  The guy was one of the most talented hitters ever, he needs to be in there. So does Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa. Put an asterisk next to their plaques and let me make my own decision about them while visiting.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
42 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It's called the hall of fame, not the hall of morality and integrity.  The guy was one of the most talented hitters ever, he needs to be in there. So does Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa. Put an asterisk next to their plaques and let me make my own decision about them while visiting.

and he's even more famous now tbh

On 8/11/2023 at 5:05 PM, runningblind said:

Didn’t expect this to go here, but I agree.  

I always laugh about how people say lance Armstrong was a cheater.  So was the rest of the field.  He was the best cheater in all the other cheaters.  He would have been the best clean guy in all the clean guys.

MLB knew those guys were on roids and they used it to their advantage.  Everyone tuned in to watch McGwire.  We all knew.

I can’t remember the name of the Netflix doc, but I believe all those track athletes are on, or were on drugs at some point.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

I wonder how much work the "if no games flexed to other networks" is doing here.

Iowa getting 'Cocked twice this year.

Sept 23 Oklahoma at Cincinnati, noon (FOX)

Sept 30 Michigan at Nebraska, noon (FOX)

Sept 30 Mich State at Iowa 3:30 (P)

Oct 7 Rutgers at Wisconsin noon (P)

Oct 7 Maryland at Ohio St 3:30 (P)

Oct 14 Ohio St at Purdue noon (FOX)

Oct 14 Illinois at Maryland noon (P)

Nov 4 Iowa vs Northwestern 3:30 (P)

Nov 11 Minnesota at Purdue noon (P)

• Haha 1
On 8/11/2023 at 5:05 PM, runningblind said:

Yep, it's even more illogical with Gaylord Perry and Ty Cobb in there.  Plus Barry along with Roger are both HOFers even before the PED talk but they also weren't overly accommodating with the media which I believe is part of ir.  Baseball HOF voters are arrogant, attention seeking old-timers with an axe to grind a lot of the time.  They have been that way for many years.  The no one can be unanimous or he shouldn't get in on the first try b.s. are other examples.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Yep, it's even more illogical with Gaylord Perry and Ty Cobb in there.  Plus Barry along with Roger are both HOFers even before the PED talk but they also weren't overly accommodating with the media which I believe is part of ir.  Baseball HOF voters are arrogant, attention seeking old-timers with an axe to grind a lot of the time.  They have been that way for many years.  The no one can be unanimous or he shouldn't get in on the first try b.s. are other examples.

I have always rolled my eyes at the unanimous thing, but was legitimately pissed when one person didn't vote Greg Maddux in.  Such a joke.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

On 8/11/2023 at 3:55 PM, JJ Husker said:

Agreed.

Bill Russell got into the NBA hall of fame as a player in 1975.

But Bill Russell also got into the NBA hall of fame as a HC in 2021.  

Two separate roles.  

Pete should have gotten in the hall as a player.  Period.

As the Reds manager under Marge Schott and her wacky dog, that's when the betting thing unfolded.  So yeah, no HOF as a manager for sure.  

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Iowa fans are saying McNamara reinjured his knee. Some are saying he's out three weeks.

Others are saying this is just a Kirk-Ferentz-like answer, and McNamara is fine. 

Is this like a Bo Pelini answer where they're "day-to-day" but they've had a double amputation?

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1