Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I don't know what you mean that the expectations are not that crazy because we could have won several games we didn't last year??? What? 

I was referring to S&P+ analysis that suggests we should have won 2-3 more games, but worded it weird. 

Your argument for 9+ wins makes total sense though. We definitely underperformed last year and carrying those final 6 games over into this year matches the hype. 

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I was referring to S&P+ analysis that suggests we should have won 2-3 more games, but worded it weird. 

imo there is no such thing as 'should have' when it comes to sports. Could have is fair, but if you should've done something then you would've. If you didn't, then there's no reason you should have.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

imo there is no such thing as 'should have' when it comes to sports. Could have is fair, but if you should've done something then you would've. If you didn't, then there's no reason you should have.

"Should have" can and does count for something when you're making predictions. "Should have" is really just fan speak for what pundits and analysts call a "close loss." It doesn't really matter what we're calling it, that's what Wyo was talking about. If we had lost the games we did by 21+ points, the pundits and models would be predicting less wins this year. And that's what we're talking about, hype and predictions.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

The win probability against Northwestern was darn near 99% in the 4th quarter.  That's a game NU 'should have" won.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The win probability against Northwestern was darn near 99% in the 4th quarter.  That's a game NU 'should have" won.

Should implies something is 'owed' to you, imo, which takes away the other team's accomplishment. They earned the victory and deserve it because they won. We could have won it if we played better. But as we did play, we should not have won it and we didn't.

If we didn't give up a fourth and 10 late, then two pass interference penalties, then a roughing the passer, and if Martinez wouldn't have thrown an interception in overtime, then we would have won. And we could have done all those things. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Should implies something is 'owed' to you, imo, which takes away the other team's accomplishment. They earned the victory and deserve it because they won. We could have won it if we played better. But as we did play, we should not have won it and we didn't.

If we didn't give up a fourth and 10 late, then two pass interference penalties, then a roughing the passer, and if Martinez wouldn't have thrown an interception in overtime, then we would have won. And we could have done all those things. 

I don’t have the opinion that should have won implies the game is owed to NU. There were probably 10 things that needed to happen late in the game for Northwestern to win that game, and all 10 of those things happened. If NU changes even one of those plays, NU wins. That’s an example of should have won. That’s why Frost was so upset after that game, let his team know that having a loss like that is unacceptable, and that’s what helped the team have a stronger second half of the year. 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Yes the offseason hype is less crazy if we win three or four more games than we did. The best way to make predictions about the future is by looking at the data and evidence from the past, not by some anecdotal eyeball test and relatively baseless postulating.

I don't know what you mean that the expectations are not that crazy because we could have won several games we didn't last year??? What? 

Way I see it, we are better on paper and more talented than all but one, maybe two teams on our schedule. We were also better on paper and more talented than all but two teams on our schedule last year. But paper and talent rankings don't win games. We lost eight games last year due not to a lack of talent but due to lack of mental buy-in, due to lacking internal motivating belief, due to the snowball momentum of doubt in the back of players minds when one loss turned into two, and so on. The best argument for 9+ wins next season has nothing to do with us being talented; we were talented last year. The best argument is that we showed over the last 6 games last year that something clicked internally in the spirit of the team. They broke through a mental/emotional glass ceiling and that's when the results changed. If we can keep that mental acuity we should win a lot of games.

While we're making associations, where do you see our talent as it related to the draft?

I did not see a plethora of talent last year.  Frost is bringing in his player style; long, athletic, versatile, good kids.  And Duval is building their bodies.

This next year you'll see better new players and version-upgrades on the field.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

I should have run this morning, but I didn't. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I was thinking after my run this morning, man Frost has flipped this roster quickly. Pretty much everyone of note at the QB, RB and WR positions were brought in by Frost and his staff. There are a couple of guys in there from the previous regime, but only a few. The line is where you see alot more Riley recruits, probably because they take longer to develop, but Frost will have no shortage of his guys on offense this season. It seemed like we talked about Riley getting his players in the entirety of his tenure. Frost has his offense locked and loaded for 2019 and beyond. This offense is going to be deadly this season!

40 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The line is where you see alot more Riley recruits, probably because they take longer to develop, but Frost will have no shortage of his guys on offense this season. 

It’s just how the numbers split when he got here, needed to get numbers up in other areas quicker. You will see guys like a Benhart or Corcoran develop very quickly.

12 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Nice to hear from Tom as his opinion is one I trust when it comes to assessing the team's prospects.   He was always one to understate and rarely ever used the term 'great' when speaking of any of his players or teams.  When he did there was almost no question he knew what he was talking about.   The 83 scoring explosion was aptly named in the spring before that offense took the field to rewrite the records.  He knew exactly how good that offense would be.

Interpreting the remarks Tom makes about the upcoming season and the future, he is quite right to attempt to dampen all the runaway hype and great expectations for this year.   While there are reasons to hope and expect better things, it is just not very likely that Frost will 'release the Kraken' this fall.  The big challenge for Frost and Company will be to keep the players' minds focused on steady improvement, working their butts off, and getting better.   Win or lose each week, the players need to keep the long term goals of becoming a formidable team and program.   It will be tricky to keep the players from getting too excited and then opening themselves up for the big fall if they lose a few games along the way.   Just keep the focuse on playing one game at a time and see if they can win more than they lose.   Never take an oppoent lightly nor should they be intimidated or fearful   Have confidence but not be over confident.   The mental aspects will be the most difficult part of coaching for Frost until the 'culture' of winning comes naturally as we are NEBRASKA FOOTBALL !

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Nice to hear from Tom as his opinion is one I trust when it comes to assessing the team's prospects.   He was always one to understate and rarely ever used the term 'great' when speaking of any of his players or teams.  When he did there was almost no question he knew what he was talking about.   The 83 scoring explosion was aptly named in the spring before that offense took the field to rewrite the records.  He knew exactly how good that offense would be.

Interpreting the remarks Tom makes about the upcoming season and the future, he is quite right to attempt to dampen all the runaway hype and great expectations for this year.   While there are reasons to hope and expect better things, it is just not very likely that Frost will 'release the Kraken' this fall.  The big challenge for Frost and Company will be to keep the players' minds focused on steady improvement, working their butts off, and getting better.   Win or lose each week, the players need to keep the long term goals of becoming a formidable team and program.   It will be tricky to keep the players from getting too excited and then opening themselves up for the big fall if they lose a few games along the way.   Just keep the focuse on playing one game at a time and see if they can win more than they lose.   Never take an oppoent lightly nor should they be intimidated or fearful   Have confidence but not be over confident.   The mental aspects will be the most difficult part of coaching for Frost until the 'culture' of winning comes naturally as we are NEBRASKA FOOTBALL !

One thing that Frost and his staff talk about is recruiting winners and I think that'll be important this year and in the future. Guys who come from winning programs not only hate losing, but they understand how to handle the hype and expectations of winning. I think these young guys who have won a lot in their careers can help others handle the hype that's already coming and navigate let downs. 

20. Nebraska Huskers

NCAA.com: "The offseason hype only continues to grow at Nebraska. There won't be another 4-win season. There won't be another missed bowl game. There won't be struggles in close games (1-5 in single-possession games last year). QB Adrian Martinez and coach Scott Frost should at least double the win total."

• Plus1 1