12 hours ago, nic said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/05/pro-palestinian-protests-columbia-university-funding-donors-00156135

Is politico on the right or left?

I have been asking were the funding is coming from for these protests. If this was Fox I would expect this answer. If politico is on the left, I guess they are saying these protests are counter productive to Biden's reelection, so why are his backers funding them? 

"President Joe Biden has been dogged for months by pro-Palestinian protesters calling him “Genocide Joe” — but some of the groups behind the demonstrations receive financial backing from philanthropists pushing hard for his reelection.

The donors include some of the biggest names in Democratic circles: Soros, Rockefeller and Pritzker, according to a POLITICO analysis."

It's not rocket science. Liberal funders typically support organizations that support human rights for global underdogs, and Palestinians have long fit that bill. It shouldn't be surprising that many of those same funders would fight anti-semitism. 

Whatever they think of Joe Biden, he is the closest thing to a liberal in this two horse race -- the other horse being a rabid runaway mule -- so it's not contradictory they would also support Joe Biden. 

Joe Biden has taken the position that the U.S. will always have Israel's back, but we support a cease-fire in order to stop the needless killing of Palestinian civilians as we seek longer term solutions. It's the same nice-sounding but probably doomed position taken by every President and candidate who wades into public debate on the subject. I don't think the donor class actively considered whether support for Palestine would box Biden in. He was the guy who could talk tough to Netanyahu, after all, making him the best chance to curb his impulses. But of course our history of simultaneously arming Israel and looking the other way was always there for the farther left to grab onto. But I honestly don't think anyone saw this coming. 

Politico is generally centrist and fairly solid, but plays the best angle to the story like everyone else.  The implication here is that George Soros and friends are bussing in agitators and buying pizza for the protestors, but it's really about organizations they support having representation at these protests. Will the liberal donor class tell young people to hold onto their idealism while begging them to vote for the anti-Trump? You bet. No idea if it will prove successful. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

‘Politico’ Misses Mark in Story on Who’s Funding Pro-Palestine Protests Against Biden

“We don’t have any active grants with the Tides Foundation or to the entities named in the story,” a spokesperson for the Gates Foundation tells Rolling Stone. “We’ve reached out to Politico for correction.”

After this story was published, Politico issued a correction and update to its story, writing: “The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which has previously funded the Tides Foundation and other groups, said it no longer has active grants to Tides. It also does not support Jewish Voice for Peace or IfNotNow.”

A Politico spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment. There are more issues with the story, though.

Take the connection made with George Soros, the liberal billionaire and a longtime bogeyman for conservatives. His Open Society Foundations have made significant donations to the Tides Foundation. But the foundations’ website specifies the Tides Foundation projects these donations were intended to support, none of which appear to relate to Jewish Voice for Peace or IfNotNow. 

Not mentioned in the story: The Open Society Foundations specifically disclosed giving $225,000 in 2022 to Jewish Voice for Peace and $150,000 to JVP Action in 2021. The Open Society Foundations separately gave $200,000 to the IfNotNow Education Fund in 2021. "

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

She looks like she could use a hunger strike.  Wonder if she will be able to refuse The Dinky Bar And Kitchen across the street after a day or two. 

It's going to be f#&%ing hilarious when they eat again after smoking a J in a couple days/weeks.

• TBH 2

These protestors have already ruined in person learning and graduation ceremonies at some schools. Now professors want to hurt kids that have nothing to do with these protests. Maybe some of these students need those grades to graduate this month. I would just fire them.

The semester is almost over, some schools are online. Just empty the campus so the protestors have no one to bother. The media should ignore them, like a little kid throwing a tantrum. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

These protestors have already ruined in person learning and graduation ceremonies at some schools. Now professors want to hurt kids that have nothing to do with these protests. Maybe some of these students need those grades to graduate this month. I would just fire them.

The semester is almost over, some schools are online. Just empty the campus so the protestors have no one to bother. The media should ignore them, like a little kid throwing a tantrum. 

Great....

Now the normal students with their poop in a group are going to have to protest to have the grade they earned released!  

What a f**king mess that should have never gotten remotely close to this out of control.

1 hour ago, nic said:

Looks like a major lawsuit that some lawyer would love to take up against the professors.

And, maybe the school should sue them for all the pay they earned this semester.

The grades are not the professors.  The grades are the students, those grades belong to them for the work that they did.  His/Her job is not to "play god" with the grades, his/her job is done, the class has been taught and the grades are recorded.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, nic said:

That A$&hat needs fired pronto.  What a douche.  Why Punish those that are actually acting appropriate during this disaster caused by all these Leftists on campus.  Utter joke.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

The grades are not the professors.  The grades are the students, those grades belong to them for the work that they did.  His/Her job is not to "play god" with the grades, his/her job is done, the class has been taught and the grades are recorded.  

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I agree.
A quick story. My first year at UNL I took Anthropology 101. It was a cake class that basically all you had to do to pass was show up, evidenced by the fact that a lot of football players and athletes were also in it.  The professor was some wild liberal hippie with a ponytail down to his butt. He’d spend most classes whining how his colleagues were being persecuted in all these 3rd world backwater places. Well, I earned a solid B (3.0) in that class according to the predetermined scoring. End of semester d!ckhead gives me a 2.0. I go in to meet with him and see what’s up. He reviews all my grades and says yeah, you should have a 3.0……uh hold on, are you in a fraternity? I say yes. He says, oh that’s why, but since you came to see me I’ll change it back. True story.

• Haha 2