** 2019 Opponent Previews : Ohio State (Game 5) **

Five burning questions heading into Ohio State week

5. Can the Huskers play a clean game?

The final score at Illinois would have a lot more lopsided had Nebraska not continuously shot itself in the foot with penalties and turnovers.

In all, the Huskers lost four fumbles – the most turnovers in a game of the Frost era – and committed a season-high 11 penalties for 119 yards.

Nebraska has now been called for 29 penalties over the first four games, which are only fewer than Illinois (29) and Michigan State (31) in the Big Ten.

NU is also up to nine lost turnovers on the season, the most of any FBS team two more than any other Big Ten team (Michigan is next with seven).

Ohio State is a team that will exploit that type of mistakes to no end, so it goes without saying that the Huskers need to clean up their play in a major way.

Here's the thing with a team like OSU.  They have blown out everyone so far this year and never really had a challenge doing so.

It's obvious that they can do that against poor teams.

What they haven't shown is what they can do if they get kicked in the mouth early in the game and they are down or being challenged at half time.  

That's our best chance of winning.  If they all of a sudden realize they're in a dog fight, sometimes these types of teams can get caught.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Gameday will be east of Memorial Stadium right in front of the NU Coliseum per McKewon

They're kicking out tailgaters for this?  I'm very surprised.  Someone told me the last time they came to town they set up on the infield of the track.  That would seem pretty logical.  However, I have no idea if that's true or not.

11 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

It should be if we can hang, it should be if we can beat. We need to stop thinking the worst every-time we play a damn quality opponent. We as fans need to stop with that line of thinking.

When we stop taking a beat at least once a year, then I'll be more confident.

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Meh.....

I honestly can not remember ever having a conversation with a football fan saying...."wow...I bet XYZ U wishes they didn't have ESPN Gameday there when they got blown out."

Some Husker fans are so stinking concerned about looking bad when Gameday is here.  Guess what....we are a featured game in the evening nationwide NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

Good points. I still think it hurts our perception more to get beat down on prime time than some game during the day. And a little more hurt with GameDay added. Just my opinion.

Do you really think fewer people would notice us losing (if we do) if Gameday weren't here?

Among the national audience, yes.

Sometimes I think there are Husker fans that are embarrassed they are Husker fans.

I'm not embarrassed of being a Husker fan - I wore my Husker gear before and after the loss to CU this year and last. And I'll wear my gear this season and next no matter what. But I am embarrassed by the perform of the team in prime time games over the last decade or so.

• Plus1 1

I tend to agree with RedDenver...getting pummeled on a nationally televised game with game day on campus is going to hurt much more than losing the game if the game were on BTN at 11 am. Now, that being said, if the team plays four quarters of solid football similar to the first half of the Colorado game, we can actually win the game and that will be an excellent boost to our image that has been sullied by Riley’s rein. These situations are always risky but the rewards are great if we come up on the winning side. I really hope our guys play hard and make it a four quarter game regardless of the outcome. I hope my beloved huskers win but if we lose a close game to the number 5 team in the nation, there is no shame in that. GO BIG REEEEEEEED!

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

I tend to agree with RedDenver...getting pummeled on a nationally televised game with game day on campus is going to hurt much more than losing the game if the game were on BTN at 11 am. Now, that being said, if the team plays four quarters of solid football similar to the first half of the Colorado game, we can actually win the game and that will be an excellent boost to our image that has been sullied by Riley’s rein. These situations are always risky but the rewards are great if we come up on the winning side. I really hope our guys play hard and make it a four quarter game regardless of the outcome. I hope my beloved huskers win but if we lose a close game to the number 5 team in the nation, there is no shame in that. GO BIG REEEEEEEED!

It’s going to be on ABC at night no matter what. 

• Plus1 2

Looking at this game with clear eyes, I think we are to Ohio St. this week what Illinois was to the Cornhuskers last week: A road game against a team with less talent (and a lot of youth) that could get some breaks and make them have to play a “lights out” 4th quarter to secure the victory.

Frost is going to have to gameplan against the huge advantage their D-line has over our young O-Line. But even that would not take away the advantage OSU has in Special Teams. As long as we have only two of the three phases of the game, we are going to lose more than we win against a team as talented as OSU. 

Still, if Nebraska gets some breaks and plays a mostly error-free game, the atmosphere all game long should be electric and our team should fight for all 4 quarters. Both teams are going to learn more about themselves, how far they’ve come, and how far they have yet to go from this one. Regardless of the outcome Frost is learning B1G play, adding pieces, and going in the right direction. Playmakers want to play for him, Chinander has improved the defense SIGNIFICANTLY, in just Year Two, and we need to do the same thing in Special Teams to be a complete team. #GBR

• Plus1 1