** 2019 Opponent Previews : Ohio State (Game 5) **

31 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

On no planet is Ryan Day a better coach than Urban Meyer...they will still be successful, but ppl are delusional to think Day is better. 

I won't disagree with this ... but at present, Day's recruiting is top notch and similar to what Meyer was accomplishing. Time will tell on both recruiting and coaching.  

For me, I'm totally impressed with what OSU is doing.  I don't see them fading with this coach but time will reveal.

15 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I won't disagree with this ... but at present, Day's recruiting is top notch and similar to what Meyer was accomplishing. Time will tell on both recruiting and coaching.  

For me, I'm totally impressed with what OSU is doing.  I don't see them fading with this coach but time will reveal.

He is taking more of a Tressel approach and recruiting Ohio much more than Meyer did, at least in his first year. I like what he is doing as well. 

10 hours ago, jaws said:

He is taking more of a Tressel approach and recruiting Ohio much more than Meyer did, at least in his first year. I like what he is doing as well. 

I can definitely see Day having the kind of success that Tressel had, and if that's the case then OSU fans should be happy. Meyer is one of the elites and IDK if Day will be able to sustain that high of a level. However with the resources OSU has, I dont see them ever being out of the conversation for the top spot in the BIG, or not finishing the season highly ranked year in and year out

On 7/3/2019 at 8:36 AM, jaws said:

Cooper didn't understand the OSU/Michigan game. Tressel changed that,  Meyer embraced it, and I think Day understands it. 

It will be interesting to see the reaction if Day loses to Michigan this year, in his first year.  How much leash does he get?

I think this was the year that set up well for Michigan to beat you guys regardless of coach though, so its partly just timing.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:45 AM, runningblind said:

It will be interesting to see the reaction if Day loses to Michigan this year, in his first year.  How much leash does he get?

I think this was the year that set up well for Michigan to beat you guys regardless of coach though, so its partly just timing.

Maybe this year Michigan does beat OSU, but a lot of people said the same thing last year and we saw how that went. 

1 hour ago, jaws said:

Maybe this year Michigan does beat OSU, but a lot of people said the same thing last year and we saw how that went. 

Last year you had Urban Meyer.

On the flip side, if Harbaugh loses again to a first year coach then imagine the reaction on that side.  It will be very interesting either way.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, runningblind said:

Last year you had Urban Meyer.

On the flip side, if Harbaugh loses again to a first year coach then imagine the reaction on that side.  It will be very interesting either way.

They did have Urban, and he took this game very serious.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/07/105065/how-do-you-respect-a-rivalry-urban-meyer-final-gold-pants-speech

It will be hard to continue that level of intensity. 

• Fire 1

Luke Fickell seems to be a good coach after turning around Cincy in year 2. He was handed a less ideal situation, but still struggled to get over the hump in his one year as the head coach at tOSU. Similar QB situation in Fields vs. Bausermann to Miller and tOSU coming off very successful seasons. 

Day may prove to be a Jimbo Fisher (FSU) or Lincoln Riley, or could be a Randy Shannon (Miami (FL)) or Ron Zook (Florida).

2 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Day may prove to be a Jimbo Fisher (FSU) or Lincoln Riley, or could be a Randy Shannon (Miami (FL)) or Ron Zook (Florida).

Yep.  Nobody will know until it happens.  Until then, everyone had better plan on OSU being an extremely tough game and don't take them lightly.  

On 7/3/2019 at 1:12 PM, BIG ERN said:

On no planet is Ryan Day a better coach than Urban Meyer...they will still be successful, but ppl are delusional to think Day is better. 

You're equally as delusional to claim he isn't. There is no data one way or the other because Day has no true head coaching record. Now, Meyer has immensely more experience and success, obviously, but for all you know Day is about to be the next Saban. Odds would say that won't happen, but there's no actual evidence of his ability that says he'll be good or bad.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

You're equally as delusional to claim he isn't. There is no data one way or the other because Day has no true head coaching record. Now, Meyer has immensely more experience and success, obviously, but for all you know Day is about to be the next Saban. Odds would say that won't happen, but there's no actual evidence of his ability that says he'll be good or bad.

Equally as delusional? You must not know what stats and odds are then. Urban Meyer was 54-4 in the B10 and 83-9 at Ohio State....I will leave this board forever if Day can duplicate that. 

• Plus1 2
On 7/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, deedsker said:

Luke Fickell seems to be a good coach after turning around Cincy in year 2. He was handed a less ideal situation, but still struggled to get over the hump in his one year as the head coach at tOSU. Similar QB situation in Fields vs. Bausermann to Miller and tOSU coming off very successful seasons. 

Actually, Fickell was the only tOSU coach to ever lose 7 games in a season.