Offensive Play

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

No idea.  Someone had posted the Vegas line for the game and it showed Mills out.  @PaulCrewesaid that Vegas also showed him out the previous game....

While Mills was battling an injury in the Illinois game, I think the report on that betting site is bogus. It’s been that same injury report for the past 2 weeks. Also, unless the player is out for the season, Frost doesn’t report on injuries. 

19 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The popular opinion is that teams need big, bruising backs to run in between the tackles. Rex Burkhead was one of the best runners between the tackles I have ever seen at NU. He wasn’t a huge dude, but he could find the creases and get the necessary yards. A lot of times, it’s better to have RB’s who can “get small” and get thru that first level. 

Ameer too.  

I used to get very upset when we would bring in Cross at short yardage instead of leaving in Ameer.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is what baffles me. AM is on pace to shatter every QB record at NU yet people are still all over him, thinking he should sit, McCaffrey or Vedral are better, etc. He hasn't been perfect this year and he'd tell you that, but the kid is a darn good QB and will likely finish his career as one of if not the best to play his career here.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This is what baffles me. AM is on pace to shatter every QB record at NU yet people are still all over him, thinking he should sit, McCaffrey or Vedral are better, etc. He hasn't been perfect this year and he'd tell you that, but the kid is a darn good QB and will likely finish his career as one of if not the best to play his career here.

It speaks more about the fans than the QB.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I agree it's crazy people think he should sit, but I don't think the record paces are an argument either way. This is an offense designed to put up huge numbers in an era of huge numbers. Being a freshman starter and playing now almost guarantee the current record regardless of who is playing, barring injury. I believe Masker would at least approach the yardage mark if we started him for 4 years. But again, I totally agree Martinez is the man and is being seriously underrated by some segments of the fan base. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I agree it's crazy people think he should sit, but I don't think the record paces are an argument either way. This is an offense designed to put up huge numbers in an era of huge numbers. Being a freshman starter and playing now almost guarantee the current record regardless of who is playing, barring injury. I believe Masker would at least approach the yardage mark if we started him for 4 years. But again, I totally agree Martinez is the man and is being seriously underrated by some segments of the fan base. 

The offense and being a freshman starter certainly help, yes. However, I don't agree about Masker putting up yardage. When Bunch came in for AM last year vs. Troy he put up 177 yards. Frost's offense will have record setting QBs for years to come probably, but that doesn't change what AM is doing.

Tommy was nearly a four year starter (9 games as a freshmen to AM's 10) and AM is on pace to break his records by over 5,000 yards and 28 TDs. I mean he isn't just setting or approaching Nebraska records there are national ones too. As a freshmen he became the second FBS true freshman since 1990 to average 200 passing yards and 50 rushing yards per game and the first to hit those averages at a Power Five program. Overall, he was just the sixth true or redshirt freshmen to average that along with Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel and J.T. Barrett. He was also one of the four FBS quarterbacks who averaged 225 passing yards and 50 rushing yards per game last year.

I know that you are agreeing with me for the most part it just drives me crazy that people are discounting what he's done last year and this year as a true sophomore just because he's had some ups and downs.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

One of the things that I like most about these stats also is that if we hadn't turned the ball over so many times this year, that defensive PPG allowed number would be even lower.

Our defense is greatly improved over where it was 12 months ago...even if it isn't yet "great" in and of itself. Could be "great" by November, for sure.

• Plus1 2

I wish that I could post specific clips from our drive starting at about 11:00 to go in the 3rd quarter, but the best I can do is this, which just starts it at that time. Love this guy that's putting the radio cut on top of the TV tape, amazing stuff:

This drive is play calling and execution perfection. It doesn't get much better than this. We attack the edges on pass plays, throw down field, and then when they're softened up from all the throwing Mazour comes in and makes two great runs to keep moving downfield.