we're not that bad...

BoSolich

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That might explain why we're not a top 5 team, but it doesn't explain why we continue to lose to teams we consistenly out-recruit.

I don't think it's that simple.  So many factors at play right now.  A lot of Riley's big grabs never panned out at all.  This staff's recruits are literally just getting started.  Mike Riley and Bo Pelini themselves have to factor into the equation as well as being factors for lack of success and those guys had some NFL talent to play with even. 

53 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I don't think it's that simple.  So many factors at play right now.  A lot of Riley's big grabs never panned out at all.  This staff's recruits are literally just getting started.  Mike Riley and Bo Pelini themselves have to factor into the equation as well as being factors for lack of success and those guys had some NFL talent to play with even. 

I agree with this. If you reranked the 2015, 2016 and 2017 classes I bet we are closer to CU, obviously not USA. The 2018 and 2019 classes definitely are more talented than CU, but they are freshmen and sophomores. I don't think the talent explains everything, but I also don't think it's totally invalid.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
53 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That might explain why we're not a top 5 team, but it doesn't explain why we continue to lose to teams we consistenly out-recruit.

I'm no expert, but I have a few ideas. I think we have some serious mental toughness/performance issues. We can't seem to execute solid, fundamental football for more than a couple of quarters, and that has been going on for several years. I think it has become the culture of Nebraska football, and not many on the roster know what playing 4 quarters/excellence/winning looks like. Listening to players, there is always a mention of a "letup", and then it seems like the players almost expect a collapse when the other team seizes momentum. Behavior like that will get you beat by teams that are less talented. It also seems to me like many players think the "I play for Nebraska" assertion somehow earns them points on the scoreboard. I would like to see them ditch the talk about "how things should be", or "restore the order", because they aren't entitled to anything because they wear the N. Sure, the program has tradition, but the current players have got to start from ground zero again. I would like to see them adopt the mentality of Boise State, who always acts like they have something to prove, and is able to hang with teams more talented than they are.  

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

The Oline is a little different as UCF had 2 Sr linemen,  2 Jr linemen and a So. with 4 of them starting the previous year and the 5th playing in all 13 games as a backup. 

Thank you for looking up this stat.

That's not just "a little different." That's drastically different in my opinion.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I agree with this. If you reranked the 2015, 2016 and 2017 classes I bet we are closer to CU, obviously not USA. The 2018 and 2019 classes definitely are more talented than CU, but they are freshmen and sophomores. I don't think the talent explains everything, but I also don't think it's totally invalid.

I believe @Mavric has posted attrition adjusted recruiting rankings before.  It would be interesting to see after all of the roster churn and transfers in.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I believe @Mavric has posted attrition adjusted recruiting rankings before.  It would be interesting to see after all of the roster churn and transfers in.

I don't know how to do that and account for other teams attrition as well. However, the 2017 has lost every 4 star player except for McQuity who can't seem to find the field. That is crazy and that class alone is probably ranked about 50th if adjusted!

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I don't know how to do that and account for other teams attrition as well. However, the 2017 has lost every 4 star player except for McQuity who can't seem to find the field. That is crazy and that class alone is probably ranked about 50th if adjusted!

I think one of the recruiting services tracks it and provides the ranking.

11 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I think one of the recruiting services tracks it and provides the ranking.

Think I found it! https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

We're still ranked 24th even after all the craziness (though heavy lean towards youth). CU is 48th so the talent argument doesn't hold up super well there outside of saying we are a young team. A few interesting nuggets.

- Only team in the top 26 without a 5 star player

- We have 20 4 stars (8 are juniors or seniors and two, Avery Anderson/John Rairdon, aren't contributing. Jahkeem Green fits here too, but will contribute this year or in the future likely).

- 8 of those 4 stars are true (5) or redshirt freshmen (3) and 6 aren't contributing yet.

- Notable teams ranked above us that stink this year UCLA, Miami (maybe), Tennessee, Florida State

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Think I found it! https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

We're still ranked 24th even after all the craziness (though heavy lean towards youth). CU is 48th so the talent argument doesn't hold up super well there outside of saying we are a young team. A few interesting nuggets.

- Only team in the top 26 without a 5 star player

- We have 20 4 stars (8 are juniors or seniors and two, Avery Anderson/John Rairdon, aren't contributing. Jahkeem Green fits here too, but will contribute this year or in the future likely).

- 8 of those 4 stars are true (5) or redshirt freshmen (3) and 6 aren't contributing yet.

- Notable teams ranked above us that stink this year UCLA, Miami (maybe), Tennessee, Florida State

I think it's a bit of a leap to say that Tennessee stinks, they make us look like the Patriots.

• Haha 1

First, I want to point out that being critical of your team’s performance and wanting them to play smarter and with more passion doesn’t make you a troll or a band wagon fan as some posters pointed out. To be honest, I am disappointed that someone would just flat out accuse other fans of being trolls or not real fans. 

Now, I have a simple question that I would like an answer for. Is it harder to recruit players to Nebraska or Wisconsin? We out-recruited Wisconsin yet we continue to lose to them and they continue to play like the Husker teams of the 90s whereas we continue to play undisciplined inconsistent football. Wisconsin had coaching changes and their new coach was able to keep the team winning as if there were no coaching change. We, on the other hand, continue to make excuses and convince ourselves that it is a rebuilding year. When is this rebuilding going to be done? It does not seem like our players are playing to their full potential. I am hoping that the season will get better as I love my Huskers and want them to get back to where people fear us when they play us rather than seeing us as a welcomed opportunity. 

If this team has really turned the corner and the Colorado game was an unfortunate loss then they should come out this Saturday hungry to kick some northern Illinois butt. And we should run them out of the building. If we struggle to beat them or we lose to them then that is an indication that we are not turning any corner anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

"We're not that bad"

Have you ever really thought about the contraction "we're"  You take out an A to add an apostrophe.  How the hell  does that help anything.  And it is one letter away from we'red.  Weird, right?

We should just be like Germany and combine more words.  Such as Frostengruven.  Or Thirdquartersucken.

Nebraskathirdquartersucken will be replaced with Northernillinoisfrostengruven.

• Fire 1
30 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

"We're not that bad"

Have you ever really thought about the contraction "we're"  You take out an A to add an apostrophe.  How the hell  does that help anything.  And it is one letter away from we'red.  Weird, right?

We should just be like Germany and combine more words.  Such as Frostengruven.  Or Thirdquartersucken.

Nebraskathirdquartersucken will be replaced with Northernillinoisfrostengruven.

Or whatthehellyouevenbabblingabout.  

• Plus1 1