Carson King beer money Gameday sign

Meet Carson King, the 'Iowa Legend' who's raised more than

$1 million for charity off of a sign asking for beer money

By Aaron Calvin, Des Moines Register, Sept. 24, 2019

<snip> 

But after he held up a sign asking for beer money that appeared by chance on ESPN's "College GameDay" show before the game, he's been lauded as an example of kindness and compassion across the nation. The sign brought in more than $1 million after he decided to donate all of the funds raised from his brief television appearance to the University of Iowa's Stead Children's Hospital.

A routine background check of King's social media revealed two racist jokes, one comparing black mothers to gorillas and another making light of black people killed in the holocaust. The joke tweets date back to 2012, when King was a 16-year-old high school student.  LINK

This is such a crock of s#!t.  This guy Carson King is just a regular guy.  He's not wealthy.  Yet he donated his $1 million windfall to the U of Iowa Children's Hospital.   How many people would do that?  He was under no obligation to donate that money.  What an awesome gesture!   Yet now he's being castigated in the press because he made two racist Tweets when he was 16 years old.  WTF??  How many people in the whole world have not said or done something stupid when they are a kid?  Two stupid Tweets from when he was in junior high doesn't define the man.  It doesn't negate the $1 million he gave to charity.  It doesn't mean he's a bad person.  It doesn't even mean he's a racist.  It means the people criticizing him are a$$h@!es.  

/gets off soapbox.  opens Busch Light

• Plus1 5

So called journalists are a joke and social media is a disease. Getting really tired of irrelevant sh#t getting brought up and then having current standards and norms applied. This one isn't that old but his age at the time is definitely a mitigating factor. They really need to let go of what people did over 30 years ago (drinking, black face, etc) while they were younger and dumber and when those things weren't so strongly frowned upon. Drive by character assassination.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

They were quotes from Tosh.O as well. The Des Moines Register is getting absolutely demolished. Even better, the kid who dug up the tweets had worse tweets when he was younger as well and then he started deleting them and he might get fired from the Register. 

Haha!

Guess you could say that the joke is on him!

In all honestly, the dude should not get fired from his job...and people need to re-f#&%ing-lax.

• Plus1 1

If this was a white kid growing up in Iowa, or some other rural state, it is not necessarily shocking that he said something racist or homophobic as a teenager. What we hope for in life is that we are able to become educated and enlightened and are capable of change and redemption. If he grew up and evolved and is no longer like that, then that is what we want to see. 

Now, he is no longer a racist homophobe. He is a college kid who drinks Busch Lite. Hopefully he grows out of that as well.

Life is a journey, folks.

• Haha 1

The reporter who needlessly reported on those tweets is under insane fire for plenty of worse tweets on his own timeline. Part of me is happy because that's such s#!tty behavior and totally unnecessary, but on the other hand I don't want to be a cog in this vengeful bukkake cancel circle s#!t we've got going on in our culture right now.

• Thanks 1

This was a complete hit job by the Des Moines Register that came out of nowhere.  Doesn't matter if your a Husker fan like myself Hawks, Cyclone, or whoever, everyone feels that way.

This state supports Carson, his project and more importantly the kids who are patients of the hospital (current and future).

The craziest thing about this, is the Register didnt even release the information initially. They shared it with him and let him know they would.

He proceeded to apologize about it before they could release and got out in front of it.

I dont really get why the Register felt the need to go through all his old tweets. I get they were doing a "puff piece" on him, but seemed like the journalist was looking for something. 

I dont get on them as much as some because once they found it, they certainly didnt have to give him a heads up. The writer who did this probably couldnt anticipate the backlash before the story was even published and then how his twitter would come under attack. 

I hope Busch comes back to support Carson. It was stupid what he shared, but 16 year olds quoting Tosh isnt that weird.

I assume some might come back at me for my next statement, and happy to discuss this but:

I dont think the DMR is really that far in the wrong. They researched someone they were doing a story on, found some issues and brought it to his attention. They felt like it was something they couldnt ignore in sharing the story, but the story was so much more than just that part. They probably should have let it go. Carson didnt ask for this 15-minutes of fame but certainly turned it into something special. They are a newspaper and they have every right to share what they find.