QB play

Archy1221

1 minute ago, 10_point_buck said:

Martinez has 16 interceptions and 18 fumbles (10 lost) in 16 career games.  If that doesn’t stop, we’ll never have any offensive rhythm or continuity.  Turning this around starts with #2.

Great post.  Football always starts and stops with the QB.  Great people around the QB makes the QB even better, but for the most part in a game as the QB goes, so goes the team.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Yes the Oline sucks, but he is missing throws when he has time. He can’t even accurately throw a screen pass at this point. I know he has talent but we can’t just keep running him out there to do this. He needs to sit and figure it out. He flat out sucks right now

When I said the exact same thing two weeks ago, I was attacked by someone on this board stating that I was being hard on Martinez because he denied my daughter’s advances. I completely agree that Martinez is not playing well and he might get better if he thought that his starting job is at risk...if Frost plays Vedral a few series, may be that will push Martinez to be more competitive. He missed wide open guys today and he threw the ball atrociously the entire game. It is time for him to start feeling the heat of competing with the other QBs. I do not understand Frost unwillingness to put Vedral in when Martinez is struggling.

• Fire 1

I posted this on a different thread, but it starts with recruiting for the trenches.  Once we recruit Big 10 lines on the O-line and D-line, things will change.  We have enough skill position players to compete, but they can't compete if our QB can't throw to them.  We have RB's who can run the ball, but not with no holes to run thru.  We have decent DB's and LB's, but no D line to let them do there thing.

It wouldn't mattered tonight if we had Tom Brady and Jerry Rice, not enough time to throw the ball down field.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I posted this on a different thread, but it starts with recruiting for the trenches.  Once we recruit Big 10 lines on the O-line and D-line, things will change.  We have enough skill position players to compete, but they can't compete if our QB can't throw to them.  We have RB's who can run the ball, but not with no holes to run thru.  We have decent DB's and LB's, but no D line to let them do there thing.

It wouldn't mattered tonight if we had Tom Brady and Jerry Rice, not enough time to throw the ball down field.

Tom Brady wouldn’t have thrown three interceptions.  And he would have hit Wan’Dale for a touchdown on the second interception AM threw. Brady would have also hit many of the backs and TE in stride allowing them to run after catch.  Although I must admit, Brady would not have broken off a 50 yard run!

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Hold up. You're telling me the 3 interceptions AMart tossed tonight were somehow on the line?

He took a lot of heat all night, but he only the first one could be blamed on the OL. Even then AM didn't lead Wandale enough and got picked on what was probably PI.

The 2nd INT was a touchdown if he leads Wandale toward the sideline instead of throwing it over his head.

The last pick was complete on AM. There was no one even close to where he threw the ball.

Sucks, but with games like this, there's a lot of blame to go around. AM was atrocious in his own right.

2 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

You think Nate Stanley is a marque quarterback, f#&% no but his line gives him an eternity to find someone to throw to.

Do you think Iowa is going to be a conference champion?  Heck no, because for most years, you need a marquee QB to be a championship team.  O-Line needs to drastically improve, but AM isn’t helping them much either 

• Plus1 2