Why are they Quitting?

Random Task

We were talking about this last night.  It started under Pelini and continues to infect the program.  When the team gets punched in the mouth by a good team they fold.  I don’t understand it and I don’t know how you fix it.  

I’ve played team sports my whole life.  I cannot fathom why a team would quit.  It’s ultimately a children’s game, it’s fun.  So what if you’re not as fast or strong as the guy across from you.  It’s a challenge, it’s fun to measure up.  Makes it that much more enjoyable when you succeed.

I understand individuals quitting.  It’s not fun for whatever reason and they’d rather be doing something else.  That’s an easy fix for a coach.  Just sub in the next guy on the bench.  But when the whole team quits?  Yikes!  I’ve never been a part of a whole team quitting.  I don’t think Frost and his staff have either.  

The quitting phenomenon is a contagion.  I thought Frost was wise to cull the herd so to speak and flip the roster.  Get rid of the guys who had quit in the past so they wouldn’t infect the new guys.  

Last night sowed a lot of doubt in me because it was the first time I saw the new guys Scott brought in quit.  I thought he had gotten rid of the quitters after last year’s start.  The play on the field seemed to have indicated that.  Now I don’t know what to think.

(Maybe he literally needed to get rid of everyone?)

• Haha 1

They didn't quit against Ohio Stste last year, they didn't quit last week against Illinois.

Yesterday's outcome is pretty simple.  Ohio State is probably the best team in the country right now, it's not even really debatable looking at their body of work.  Our Offense is hindered by inexperience on the line and a QB that can't seem to get out of his own head and has regressed in his Sophomore campaign thus far.

• Plus1 8

I'm happy to admit I was dead wrong about this team taking a step back this year.  I never thought Ryan Day would be able to stay the course after Urban left.  But Urbs built a juggernaut, it's more apparent than ever.  Let's see how Ryan Day does next year and the year after.  I don't know that he keeps this monster rolling as fluently as it currently is.

But right now, in 2019, Ohio State is hands down #1.  Clemson almost got upset by Mack and the powder blues.  Alabama hasn't played anyone much better than us up to this point.  Georgia isn't blowing anyone away yet, same for ND.  And LSU is getting a lot of love, it will end with a 9-3 record more thank likely because... LSU.

3 hours ago, Random Task said:

We were talking about this last night.  It started under Pelini and continues to infect the program.  When the team gets punched in the mouth by a good team they fold.  I don’t understand it and I don’t know how you fix it.  

I’ve played team sports my whole life.  I cannot fathom why a team would quit.  It’s ultimately a children’s game, it’s fun.  So what if you’re not as fast or strong as the guy across from you.  It’s a challenge, it’s fun to measure up.  Makes it that much more enjoyable when you succeed.

I understand individuals quitting.  It’s not fun for whatever reason and they’d rather be doing something else.  That’s an easy fix for a coach.  Just sub in the next guy on the bench.  But when the whole team quits?  Yikes!  I’ve never been a part of a whole team quitting.  I don’t think Frost and his staff have either.  

The quitting phenomenon is a contagion.  I thought Frost was wise to cull the herd so to speak and flip the roster.  Get rid of the guys who had quit in the past so they wouldn’t infect the new guys.  

Last night sowed a lot of doubt in me because it was the first time I saw the new guys Scott brought in quit.  I thought he had gotten rid of the quitters after last year’s start.  The play on the field seemed to have indicated that.  Now I don’t know what to think.

(Maybe he literally needed to get rid of everyone?)

• Plus1 1

Very strange and wrong take to say the team quit yesterday. The one thing that seemed glaringly obvious to me was the fact they didn't quit at all. They simply got manhandled by a far superior group of players. There may have been all sorts of problems involved but no one I talked to during or after the game felt that they quit trying, quit playing, quit caring or any other form of quit.

Actually at the game last night.  My entire life I don't leave early, it is just what I have done in every game I have gone to for 20 years. As I've gotten older with children and a job, it gets harder and harder to stay in some of these games because I have yards to mow and laundry to fold, etc.  Last night when it started to feel like USC 2007, I was crushed and thought, "I can just head out and not have to sit here through this."  But I decided that wasn't fair. I decided that there were other people in the stadium that would probably like to be anywhere else a lot more than I would, namely the d-line and the o-line.  I told myself that if they quit like they have in the past, I would be justified in quitting as well.. They never quit, and I honestly would have taken any sign of quit as my ticket out, but they never quit. So, I watched OSU with a second string QB advance down the field against our second string guys and V formation on the 15 and was thankful that our guys never quit and that OSU did "quit" and didn't try to put another one in the zone. 

• Plus1 4