Can we be satisfied?

Xmas32: “...it's natural for folks to harken back to the glory days of Nebraska football because, as we all get older not only have those memories taken on a golden tinge, they also represent a time when a lot of us were younger... probably had a more positive general outlook on things... even though I know that the possibility of Nebraska of ever recapturing that magical run in the 90s is infinitesimal the fact is...I saw it with my own two eyes... the optimist in me creeps into my head and says, "Hey...it happened once...why not again?"

It’s always a battle between hope/optimism and reality/frustration. That battle never goes away.

In four seasons from 1994 through 1997, Huskers lost a total of TWO GAMES in all those years. That is crazy good. That is also just about impossible to ever see again, unless you’re Alabama.

In four seasons from 2015 through 2018, Huskers have won 23 games and lost 27. Winning percentage of 46%. That’s tough for any proud program to swallow.

Both of those sets of years are the extremes. Eventually, Huskers will settle somewhere in the middle of those polarities.

As years go by, more and more younger Husker fans will lose touch with those glory years. They’ll only know about them from stories. That will make them less real to them, and less of something they’ll expect again. Thus, less frustration.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

The Minnesota game was more of a low for you than 2017 Penn State, Ohio State or Iowa?

I personally would say no, Minnesota 2019 was not even close to that low.  

Nebraska didn't play well against Minnesota and Minnesota played pretty well.  If they played again I don't think it looks exactly the same.  PSU, OSU and Iowa in 2017 would look the same, because that team quit.  I don't feel like they quit against Minnesota. 

Part of the problem with the loss to Minnesota is that no one really thought Minnesota was that good going into the game, me included.  I think they are a pretty good team.  We will see how good as the last games play out, but right now they are hitting on all cylinders, I think every week they are getting better.  

One thing people need to remember about Minnesota they were 9-4 the year before PJ Fleck took over.  It was not like they didn't have some talent. Their seniors on this team were on that team.  Their top 2 RB were on that team.   They just had some off the field problems that got Clayes fired. 

• Plus1 1

I mean yes.  We can be satisfied.  You have to find what satisfies you in life however.  You just gotta have the attitude.  Now the 'attitude' dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays or prays.  I mean whatever happens your toes are still tappin'.  

Now when you have that...then you have the attitude.

Dd0Ur9eVMAIefF-.jpg

9 minutes ago, NUinID said:

I personally would say no, Minnesota 2019 was not even close to that low.  

I'm not talking about any single game as much as the state of the program. Remember, we already had Ohio State 2019; a 42 point loss compared to the 41 point loss in 2017. Why would this year not be close to that? 

I also saw a lot of quit in the defense against Minnesota. A tiny bit more fight in the offense and its backup QB. But overall a team that did not show much discipline, desire, or willingness to make adjustments. 

Not only is it okay to be sad, it's okay to question the definition of progress. 

So getting back to the OP: I will be satisfied when I see consistent progress. Definitely saw it in the last 6 games of 2018. Not seeing it now. You can admit disappointment and still be a Husker fan and Frost supporter. 

23 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not talking about any single game as much as the state of the program. Remember, we already had Ohio State 2019; a 42 point loss compared to the 41 point loss in 2017. Why would this year not be close to that? 

I also saw a lot of quit in the defense against Minnesota. A tiny bit more fight in the offense and its backup QB. But overall a team that did not show much discipline, desire, or willingness to make adjustments. 

Not only is it okay to be sad, it's okay to question the definition of progress. 

So getting back to the OP: I will be satisfied when I see consistent progress. Definitely saw it in the last 6 games of 2018. Not seeing it now. You can admit disappointment and still be a Husker fan and Frost supporter. 

And you are entitled to that opinion just like I am to mine.

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

I enjoy listening to Klatt and he makes a good point on where Michigan is at with Harbaugh and talks Tom Osborne etc. Good listen on expectations and not winning right away. 

Klatt is good not a huge Colin Cowherd fan.  He makes some really good points in this segment.  

6 hours ago, TheSker said:

So as a generality, you'd say Wisconsin's offensive scheme has fared, and will fare better in the B1G than Ohio State's offensive scheme?

Nope. No idea where you got that.  Are you Frost's dad?

Ohio State currently sits at a whopping 81% Blue chip players (4*-5*).  More than any other FBS schools.....Ohio also has approximately 13 blue chip kids available to recruit each year within their own borders...NE has 1....Wisconsin has 0...

I would expect OSU to be successful at any scheme they chose to run....Much more so than any team in the B1G.  And it shows.....

NU won't ever get the talent OSU draws.  Trying to compete with top tier teams for top tier talent with a floundering program isn't going to work.  Can we get some talent in?  Sure.  Can we keep and/or develop it.  The jury is out.  Can we win with the limited talent running the schemes we are?  To date, no.  Can we in the future?  Hopefully.  

As to Wisky,  would I take it to what I am currently seeing at NU. In a skinny minute.  Not scheme, but the physicality.  The player development.  The consistent winning record.....I like their power run game.  I'd love to see NU develop that power run game with spread/RPO options....

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Believe in him to do what?

I still believe in him, but I'm starting to find myself having to temper some of my original thoughts..

I don't think this Offense will be effective long term, if at all...It will get more better with faster recruits, but then again...Will we ever out recruit a place like UCLA where Chip Kelly is struggling with a similar Offense/Defense philosophy in his year two?

Hopefully, S.F. is capable of evolving or adjusting faster than T.O AND HIS STAFF were...I know..Tall order.

These past two decades, I've been hoping for game time adjustments on our side instead of theirs..

Chip Kelly is not running a "similar offense/defense philosophy".... One of the biggest complaints UCLA fans have is that he has turned away from the offense that got him to be so successful and he is trying a different scheme.

I just want to see a full season of solid, competitive football. Haven't seen it since 2010, '11 maybe. Since then, for a plethora of reasons, we're leading the country in turnovers, penalties, idiotic play-calling and dumbfounding clock management. Everyone says have had and currently do have more than enough talent to be consistently competitive, but is that really true?

Now, Washington's probably gone, Groce de-committed for God knows why, and it seems like rock bottom. I just don't get it. What will it take to get 22 talented kids out there that leave their prima-donna attitudes in their dorm and play hard for the N on their helmets and the guy next to them? Is that just not going to happen anymore?

I'll be satisfied when the Boys in Red can play tough, low-penalty/turnover football and win or lose, be a tough out for whoever they line up against.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

I just want to see a full season of solid, competitive football. Haven't seen it since 2010, '11 maybe. Since then, for a plethora of reasons, we're leading the country in turnovers, penalties, idiotic play-calling and dumbfounding clock management. Everyone says have had and currently do have more than enough talent to be consistently competitive, but is that really true?

Now, Washington's probably gone, Groce de-committed for God knows why, and it seems like rock bottom. I just don't get it. What will it take to get 22 talented kids out there that leave their prima-donna attitudes in their dorm and play hard for the N on their helmets and the guy next to them? Is that just not going to happen anymore?

I'll be satisfied when the Boys in Red can play tough, low-penalty/turnover football and win or lose, be a tough out for whoever line up against.

This.  WTF can't we turn our sh!t around after YEARS.......I'm with you.  

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, lo country said:

Nope. No idea where you got that.  Are you Frost's dad?

Ohio State currently sits at a whopping 81% Blue chip players (4*-5*).  More than any other FBS schools.....Ohio also has approximately 13 blue chip kids available to recruit each year within their own borders...NE has 1....Wisconsin has 0...

I would expect OSU to be successful at any scheme they chose to run....Much more so than any team in the B1G.  And it shows.....

NU won't ever get the talent OSU draws.  Trying to compete with top tier teams for top tier talent with a floundering program isn't going to work.  Can we get some talent in?  Sure.  Can we keep and/or develop it.  The jury is out.  Can we win with the limited talent running the schemes we are?  To date, no.  Can we in the future?  Hopefully.  

As to Wisky,  would I take it to what I am currently seeing at NU. In a skinny minute.  Not scheme, but the physicality.  The player development.  The consistent winning record.....I like their power run game.  I'd love to see NU develop that power run game with spread/RPO options....

Frost's offense will absolutely work in the B1G.  We've seen glimpses of that the past year and a half.

We can get the talent we need.  We're starting to now.

I'm not Larry.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1