Can we be satisfied?

9 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

The idea that Michigan fans are dissatisfied with what Jim Harbaugh has done is ridiculous. The 2 coaches before him were complete dumpster fires, and expecting more than what JH has accomplished there each and every year is utterly unreasonable. He hasn't beaten Ohio State yet, but very few teams have...

I'm with a few others here. Scott Frost is the guy. He's an exciting young coach, the last QB to win a national title here, and has proven his upside both on the field and in recruiting. If he can't bring this program to 9+ win seasons and compete for conference championships, i don't know if anyone can here anymore... 

I think therein lies the rub with Harbaugh.  Outside of one game, he's been completely noncompetitive against Ohio State which like it or not, is the one game UM fans place the most stock in.  If he would've pulled out that OT game in 2017 I don't think he'd be catching quite as much flak.

• Plus1 1

To address the topic, honestly, I'm not sure.  I think it's natural for folks to harken back to the glory days of Nebraska football because, as we all get older not only have those memories taken on a golden tinge, they also represent a time when a lot of us were younger, had our whole lives in front of us and probably had a more positive general outlook on things (no social media back then, yadda yadda yadda.)  I know it's hard for me at times because even though I know that the possibility of Nebraska of ever recapturing that magical run in the 90s is infinitesimal the fact is...I saw it with my own two eyes and it wasn't something I read about in books or read an article online or listened to stories from folks who witnessed it firsthand.  I know it happened once and the optimist in me creeps into my head and says, "Hey...it happened once...why not again?"

I think the missing hurdle is always going to be a lack of difference makers that the state fails to produce at the high school level on a consistent basis although there are signs that OPS, particularly Burke are starting to crank out high level FBS kids.  It seemed like every year in the 90s OPS was cranking out one if not multiple I backs (on top of other studs) and those kids more often than not, ended up at Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

To address the topic, honestly, I'm not sure.  I think it's natural for folks to harken back to the glory days of Nebraska football because, as we all get older not only have those memories taken on a golden tinge, they also represent a time when a lot of us were younger, had our whole lives in front of us and probably had a more positive general outlook on things (no social media back then, yadda yadda yadda.)  I know it's hard for me at times because even though I know that the possibility of Nebraska of ever recapturing that magical run in the 90s is infinitesimal the fact is...I saw it with my own two eyes and it wasn't something I read about in books or read an article online or listened to stories from folks who witnessed it firsthand.  I know it happened once and the optimist in me creeps into my head and says, "Hey...it happened once...why not again?"

I think the missing hurdle is always going to be a lack of difference makers that the state fails to produce at the high school level on a consistent basis although there are signs that OPS, particularly Burke are starting to crank out high level FBS kids.  It seemed like every year in the 90s OPS was cranking out one if not multiple I backs (on top of other studs) and those kids more often than not, ended up at Nebraska.

Yes, if only we could have the rich recruiting grounds in our back door as Bama, Clemson, OU, Texas and Ohio State.   

From 1962-2001 we had an amazing run that is difficult to replicate.  Few schools have had similar success that we had during that period 5 NC (a few breaks and easily 4 more 82,83,94,99), all of the various win streaks and top 10 and top 20 streaks,, etc, etc.   But a lot has changed in recruiting since the 1990s and also in culture.   But if Wisc can consistently have a top 15 or the occasional top 10 team, no reason we can't.   I don't think being consistently in the top 20 with the investments we've placed in this program is too much to ask.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, if only we could have the rich recruiting grounds in our back door as Bama, Clemson, OU, Texas and Ohio State.   

From 1962-2001 we had an amazing run that is difficult to replicate.  Few schools have had similar success that we had during that period 5 NC (a few breaks and easily 4 more 82,83,94,99), all of the various win streaks and top 10 and top 20 streaks,, etc, etc.   But a lot has changed in recruiting since the 1990s and also in culture.   But if Wisc can consistently have a top 15 or the occasional top 10 team, no reason we can't.   I don't think being consistently in the top 20 with the investments we've placed in this program is too much to ask.

Yup, I agree about the Wisconsin part.  It's just going to take time.  People think the Nebraska football program is a speedboat that is able to adjust on a dime when in actuality it's a giant hulking ship.  Those things take a long time to turn around!

• Plus1 2

At this time in my life I just want to see a good product on the field, that represents well.  I think we will get to a level that we can expect at least an 8-4 season every year with better season's mixed into it.  They days of having a 2 loss season being disappointing are over IMO.  That is not just for Nebraska that is for most college football teams.  

I just like watching college football and my team is Nebraska.  My son and I are coming back to Nebraska for the Wisconsin game.  I booked this 3 months ago.  After the loss at Minnesota my wife  basically said it was a waste of money to go to the game.  It really pissed me off.  She sounded just like her father who wouldn't walk across the street to watch a sporting event.  I told her she sounded like her dad. She then backtracked and said she just meant it wasn't going to be a good game.  

I really don't care.  I am spending the weekend with my 16 year old son.  Going to do something that I did with my dad.  We will have a good time whether they win or get their butts kicked. 

I want Nebraska to be good and relevant in the world of college football again.  I just don't think it is going to happen on a consistent basis.  They will have some really good years, but their will always be a few 8-4 or even 7-5 season mixed into that.  

10 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

How do you feel about Verduzco?

I keep wondering if he's been in each QB's ear about Running being a last resort...Body preservation 

somebody sure said/did something to AM during the off season...the kid just hasn't looked even close to how he played last year. i know OLine has a lot to do with his stats/success but he hasn't passed the eye test yet

Don't know about being satisfied, but can we at least be entertained? 

The Illinois game was a bit frightening, but at least it was entertaining.

Every game since has been lifeless. 

I've been a rabid Husker fan since Bob Devaney arrived from Wyoming, and I'd have to say this last week was the historic low for me. That could change as soon as this Saturday. But it's okay to be sad right now. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, lo country said:

Satisfaction is a loaded term.  At this point in NU football I would be satisfied with seeming improvement.  I think we led the nation in TO's under Bo with TM, Riley with Lee and now under Frost with AM we sit at 124....I'd be satisfied with no blow out losses.  Stomping "inferior" opponents. Less penalties....IMHO, this would translate to wins.....BUT just seeing us look like  a competent football team regardless of W-L would be improvement.

Another concern I have is that Solich couldn't recruit.....Cally was Callly, Bo was too mean and only had success with Cally's recruits 9 wins was smoke and mirrors, Riley just sucked and Frost inherited a mess.....We are going on roughly 18 years of continued turmoil in NU football.  Blaming the former coaches, players etc....We have yet to right the ship.  Can Frost do it?  I hope so.  If he can't, I am unsure who can.

I do not think that Frost's offense as he ran at UCF will be successful in the B1G.  The B1G top to bottom is more physical, better athletes, more speed, colder weather and just a better conference top to bottom than the AAC.  Will elements work?  Of course, BUT I am still waiting for the HUSKER POWER part to show up.  Unsure about the staff as a whole. They are young, inexperienced in some spots and this is a brand new league.  

I'm not satisfied now.  Too much regression IMHO.  Too much talk of lack of buy in, culture issues, selfishness from the players. Lack of physicality, identity etc..in year 2.

Go back to looking like NU and I'll be satisfied.  Until we are not playing in the conference championship and then not winning and then not making it into the playoffs, and not winning.........  One step at a time.  Satisfaction is continually evolving based upon our level of success....

As to being patient, that's the only choice we have.  And as many issues as this team appears to have.  Patience will be needed.

Poor man want to be rich
Rich man want to be king
And a king ain't satisfied
Till he rules everything-

The Boss

So as a generality, you'd say Wisconsin's offensive scheme has fared, and will fare better in the B1G than Ohio State's offensive scheme?

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Don't know about being satisfied, but can we at least be entertained? 

The Illinois game was a bit frightening, but at least it was entertaining.

Every game since has been lifeless. 

I've been a rabid Husker fan since Bob Devaney arrived from Wyoming, and I'd have to say this last week was the historic low for me. That could change as soon as this Saturday. But it's okay to be sad right now. 

The Minnesota game was more of a low for you than 2017 Penn State, Ohio State or Iowa?

14 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Believe in him to do what?

I still believe in him, but I'm starting to find myself having to temper some of my original thoughts..

I don't think this Offense will be effective long term, if at all...It will get more better with faster recruits, but then again...Will we ever out recruit a place like UCLA where Chip Kelly is struggling with a similar Offense/Defense philosophy in his year two?

Hopefully, S.F. is capable of evolving or adjusting faster than T.O AND HIS STAFF were...I know..Tall order.

These past two decades, I've been hoping for game time adjustments on our side instead of theirs..

I look at that depth chart and it is soooo bad.  I think Frost can get it done though and make fans happy.

15 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I'm sure the majority will not be satisfied if year 5 is not significantly better. As for me, I'm done with coaching changes. I'd probably piss and moan but I will never call for a coaching change again. If it comes to that, I'll just force myself to quit caring.

15 hours ago, Dewiz said:

Agreed. We need some stability at the coaching spot. Frost can stay here as long as he wants. I believe in him 

14 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Yeah...I started watching us regularly and listening to my radio back in 1970...And arguing with my girlfriend's dad who claimed to be a booster, but kept saying TO should go in 1979...I still wonder if he was really kidding.

Coaching staff really is key to MNC success.

Consistency, consistency (continuity) thou art a jewel.

15 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I look at that depth chart and it is soooo bad.  I think Frost can get it done though and make fans happy.

I feel the same way. I get our past recruiting rankings vs other teams and this and that, but when you look at the depth chart it's a stinking mess. At LB we have basically no healthy scholarship back ups inside. The secondary is nothing but young depth. The entire offense is basically underclassmen or under performing/bust upperclassmen. It is a mess.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The Minnesota game was more of a low for you than 2017 Penn State, Ohio State or Iowa?

Of course it was. 

2017 was two years ago. 

And now Minnesota is elevated to the Penn State, Ohio State and Iowa realm.

We were blown out by Minnesota in every phase of the game and will be the underdog against Indiana. 

Why would't this feel lower? 

If it's because Scott Frost is here and turning the program around.....well that's what makes it feel lower. We finally landed the only man for the job  and year two feels like a regression from a historically bad year one. Now we're being told expectations and optimism were unreasonable, although you can find virtually no record of that from Husker fans, pollsters, pundits, and Vegas oddsmakers a mere 8 weeks ago. 

Things will get better. Maybe as soon as Saturday. No one is on the hotseat.

But it's okay to be sad right now. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

As a lifelong linebacker, it pains me to see the position likely being eliminated soon...Even now, our roster has less than half of our number of LBs as our rosters back when I was wanting to walk on.

There were nearly 60 linebackers back then?  I'm don't think that's likely.

Wisconsin's whole offensive line (all 5) are from Wisconsin. Where are the Nebraska linemen? To be fair WI has about 3x more the population than Nebraska does which makes a fair difference. They also play a style of football that doesn't need a ton of athletes to make things go. That's how we were built in the past of course outside of getting a few stud QBs and defensive players. 

So can we get to the top of the B10 running a spread style offense? I think in time we will. Defense has to come a long with it as well. I think 2021 is when we will see the true direction of where Frost will take us. That schedule is very tough so idk about wins/losses but we need the 19' class to have at least 2-3 years under their belt.