The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

I am all for the players getting as much money as possible, but there has to be a better way to do this.

Michigan fans who made the trip to Houston presumably spent thousands of dollars on tickets, flights and meals. But now they’re being asked to dig into their wallets again if they want to make this a habit.

On Friday, Michigan's Champions Circle NIL collective launched a “Those Who Stay NIL Campaign,” asking potential donors to “show our players how much we appreciate them” and to “stop our rivals from stealing our players. The run to the 2025 National Championship game starts now.”

The message echoes one days earlier from the Yea Alabama collective, mere hours after the Tide’s Rose Bowl loss to the Wolverines: “Now is not the time to rest. We need your support to build the best NIL program in the country.”

That’s right, folks. Campaign season has come to college football. Either your candidate is winning and wants to fundraise off the momentum, or your candidate is losing and needs your support.

https://theathletic.com/5189579/2024/01/09/michigan-national-championship-jim-harbaugh-mandel/

• TBH 1

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I can’t speak to his situation.  But I’m pretty sure not all NIL groups have the same funding. And all schools aren’t created equal when it comes to marketing of players.

I have no idea if the tweet is true or the player is telling the truth.

But, in this system, players better get thick skins.  I have never....and would never....tweet a player and think it's pretty idiotic to do it.  But....this is the type of things they will face.

11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I can’t speak to his situation.  But I’m pretty sure not all NIL groups have the same funding. And all schools aren’t created equal when it comes to marketing of players.

The only way to fix this is to create tiers of schools at which all players of certain positions would recieve the same $$$. At the top, essentially the BIG and SEC, all starting qbs get $1 mil across the the tier, 2nd string, half a mil., 3rd string a quarter. Maybe RBs and wrs top out at $750k, linemen $500k, and so forth. This would do much to solve the problems we are facing today which will only further escalate pricing and create bidding wars, similar to coaching salaries over the last 20 years. This, of course, would limit teams with significant resources from using their advantages to improve, but would do away with the inability to build a team. 

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

The only way to fix this is to create tiers of schools at which all players of certain positions would recieve the same $$$. At the top, essentially the BIG and SEC, all starting qbs get $1 mil across the the tier, 2nd string, half a mil., 3rd string a quarter. Maybe RBs and wrs top out at $750k, linemen $500k, and so forth. This would do much to solve the problems we are facing today which will only further escalate pricing and create bidding wars, similar to coaching salaries over the last 20 years. This, of course, would limit teams with significant resources from using their advantages to improve, but would do away with the inability to build a team. 

You think the courts would allow all the schools to collude and fix the amount each position makes? This giant cluster fluff that has been created isn't going to be fixed until people pull their collective heads out of their asses.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, desertshox said:

You think the courts would allow all the schools to collude and fix the amount each position makes? This giant cluster fluff that has been created isn't going to be fixed until people pull their collective heads out of their asses.

I don't think it will get fixed.  And, I think at some point....it will hurt viewership of the sport.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't think it will get fixed.  And, I think at some point....it will hurt viewership of the sport.

It already has for me. I watch the Huskers and get attached to watching players perform and grow while playing for the Huskers. I enjoy watching them flash as underclassmen then explode as upperclassmen. Go from being "that guy Rudd or Suh" to hearing the stadium erupt every time they make a play. 

I don't have the time or energy to learn and remember a whole new roster every year, and while I'll always root for the Huskers, watching 3 different QBs struggle to operate an offense three consecutive years two of them being transfers with no ties to the team is aggrevating at best. I for one would have loved to continue to cheer for AMart his last season and continue to celebrate the highs and lows of his journey as a player. This last year, same thing with Casey. Instead we get Sims. 

This is why I never really cared to follow an NFL team. I want to watch my players on my team, not a collection of misfits suit up in Husker uniforms. It's like watching the Walking dead. After they killed off the last original character, was it even the Walking Dead anymore?

Aside from my own selfishness about the players I want to watch, I think the quality of football is greatly diminished as well. Instead of having 11 starters grow up in a system, understand the insides and out and then execute like a well oiled machine when they get thier opportunity, we have plug and play players across the line that continually mess up, make mistakes, and draw needless penalties because they can't run the system. This is causing offenses to become more uniform and destroys originality because coaches continually have to dumb down the playbook to ensure players can perform with the most basic understanding of the offensive system they are trying to run. Easiest way to make sure a plug and play player can contribute immediately is to run what everyone else runs. This is also, I believe, why NFL offenses always look so similar as well. 

My oldest son is 11, the age when he is starting to really want to sit down, watch, and understand football. At that age, I was watching Touchdown Tommie, Brook Berringer, Ahman Green, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Kenny Cheatham and Bobby Newcombe, the Wistroms, the Peters, the Mackovickas, names I'll remember until I die or senility kicks in.  First question my son asked this year during the first game was, "Wait, where is Casey Thompson?" Without connecting the Huskers to specific players he wants to root for, will he be a Husker fan in 10, 20 years? I don't know. 

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Aside from my own selfishness about the players I want to watch, I think the quality of football is greatly diminished as well. Instead of having 11 starters grow up in a system, understand the insides and out and then execute like a well oiled machine when they get thier opportunity, we have plug and play players across the line that continually mess up, make mistakes, and draw needless penalties because they can't run the system. This is causing offenses to become more uniform and destroys originality because coaches continually have to dumb down the playbook to ensure players can perform with the most basic understanding of the offensive system they are trying to run

My hope is this:  Since Rhule has an emphasis on development, we will see continually what we have seen after this season - very few players jumped into the portal while several others decided to come back to complete the development that these coaches offer.  If this staff can preach and teach the importance of this developmental to the players whereby it is in their long-term best interest to stay on the team and not transfer,  then I think we will not only create depth but we will see that well oiled machine moniker being applied to Husker football once again.   But it takes a few years to create depth and to develop players.  Hopefully year 3 we will see a big difference.  

• Oh Yeah! 1