Burrow let us discuss

KazLong

Props to Burrow for an unbelievable season.  LSU had a great combination of him at QB, great WRs and an overall great team.

The question of who we'd rather have looks easy in hindsight.  We struggled more than almost anyone anticipated.  Burrow succeeded more than anyone anticipated.

But if you even just look at the stats from 2018, they're all but indistinguishable.

Burrow - 219/379, 57.8%, 2894 yards, 7.6 ypa, 16 TDs, 5 INTs, 133.2 rating; 128 carries, 399 yards, 3.1 ypa, 7 TDs

Martinez - 224/347, 64.6%, 2617 yards, 7.5 ypa, 17 TDs, 8 INTs, 139.5 rating; 140 carries, 629 yards, 4.5 ypa, 8 TDs

• Plus1 4

28 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Props to Burrow for an unbelievable season.  LSU had a great combination of him at QB, great WRs and an overall great team.

The question of who we'd rather have looks easy in hindsight.  We struggled more than almost anyone anticipated.  Burrow succeeded more than anyone anticipated.

But if you even just look at the stats from 2018, they're all but indistinguishable.

Burrow - 219/379, 57.8%, 2894 yards, 7.6 ypa, 16 TDs, 5 INTs, 133.2 rating; 128 carries, 399 yards, 3.1 ypa, 7 TDs

Martinez - 224/347, 64.6%, 2617 yards, 7.5 ypa, 17 TDs, 8 INTs, 139.5 rating; 140 carries, 629 yards, 4.5 ypa, 8 TDs

I still think the biggest improvement was Joe Brady.  He did a phenomenal job.  It helps to have another year in the system (IIRC Coach O built the system in 2019 around Burrow), a great OL/receivers/RB and healthy.  BUT that in no way diminishes an almost 80% completion rate, close to 5000 yards passing etc....Dude can flat out play.  

Like you said, I do not think anyone who worked with Burrow prior to Coach O and Brady saw what they did.  

And there was a reason AM 1.0 got the pre-season hype....

3 hours ago, Undone said:

I'd also like to point out the almost total lack of acknowledgment in this thread of how bad our pass protection was from game 1 to roughly game 8. It was terrible.

Not only that but how would Burrow fare if he had what Nebraska had this season. Everyone talks about the QB being great but you need to have just as good if not great supporting cast which is where we've fallen short with some of our better players recently.

• 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Can we just let this go already........

Kid would have been wasted here.  Just like Simmons.  They are better off where they ended up.

Thank you.  Sad, but true.  As mentioned a lot, look at the supporting cast of both....I do love the way Clemson uses Simons though.  He is a baller.  And a game changer.

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

Thank you.  Sad, but true.  As mentioned a lot, look at the supporting cast of both....I do love the way Clemson uses Simons though.  He is a baller.  And a game changer.

These guys are two all Americans that would have come to Nebraska if the circumstances were right.  I think the best part of this whole discussion is that fact that elite talent will come here if things turn around.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Can we just let this go already........

Kid would have been wasted here.  Just like Simmons.  They are better off where they ended up.

Everyone’s favorite former WR coach had a tweet during the CFP semifinal that he was recruiting Simmons hard as a WR, but Simmons wanted to play D. My thought is, if Simmons wanted to play D, recruit him to play D dummie!!

10 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

These guys are two all Americans that would have come to Nebraska if the circumstances were right.  I think the best part of this whole discussion is that fact that elite talent will come here if things turn around.

I agree.  My comment was aimed that in NU's current state, they would not have done this well.  The class Frost and Co ust pulled was amazing considering how we ended the season.  It will take longer than expected, but we are heading in the right direction. 

15 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

TV guy said he wanted to play at Nebraska!

NU has gotten a lot of press.  Simmons recruited to NU then got stolen by Clemson.  Burrow wanted to come to Nebraska and showing Clemson's 1st NC against NU in 1981......Bad press better than no press!

• Plus1 1

It was Beck who didn't recruit him.  Riley tried but Burrow was already committed to tOSU.  By the time Burrow wanted to transfer, Riley was gone and Frost wanted to stick with AM:

Burrow is also son to Jimmy Burrow — a former NU assistant — and brother to Jamie and Dan Burrow, who both played for the Huskers. Nebraska — and Beck — blew their chance to secure Burrow last spring, before Ohio State had offered.....

New coach Mike Riley attempted to get back into the recruiting horse race with Burrow. No such luck. 
"Oklahoma and Nebraska tried to change my mind," Burrow said. "And Jim Harbaugh called one time. I told him I'm committed to Ohio State. I'm not taking any other visits."

OMWH 01/18/2015: https://www.omaha.com/recruiting-qb-joe-burrow-has-plenty-of-husker-ties-but/article_eb6d550c-9f47-11e4-a022-97486fe319e2.html

• Plus1 1