Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But does NU have enough depth at WR's to play a lot of them vs. Ohio State?  That is my biggest question.  I think NU needs to try and take pressure off of Adrian.  That means trying to run the ball with Mills and the other I-Backs, short passes to TE's and slot receivers in the middle of the Ohio State zone defense (they started playing more zone last year) and then trying to take shots deep on occasion.

I think our O line is going to be much better this year.  But, this is against OSU and they are going to have good guys at the front of their defense.  I agree we will have to mostly live off of short passes because 2AM might not have a lot of time.

@ColoradoHusk Right now I'm more worried about the starters at WR than I am about depth. We know what we've got with Wan'Dale in the slot, but what about X and Y? Lack of a legit replacement for Stanley was one of the biggest problems on offense last season, almost as big as the line's problems. Now we're basically still looking for that replacement, plus needing to replace Spielman. Fortunately I don't think we'll need to play Wan'Dale at RB this year (except when we want to!), which is effectively a depth improvement in itself.

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But does NU have enough depth at WR's to play a lot of them vs. Ohio State?  That is my biggest question.  I think NU needs to try and take pressure off of Adrian.  That means trying to run the ball with Mills and the other I-Backs, short passes to TE's and slot receivers in the middle of the Ohio State zone defense (they started playing more zone last year) and then trying to take shots deep on occasion.

There is definitely gamesmanship done by Frost and trying to keep as much info away from Ohio State, as possible.

I really don't know how I would try to attack them, so I'm super curious what we do. Running like you say might be the play, our line should be solid and they are replacing some DL guys. But they gave up 2.something YPC last year, so maybe the LBs are that good. And the secondary is incredibly talented but not very experienced, maybe you gamble on rolling out something like one bigger guy and Robinson, Brown, and Fleming at the same time. I don't think they're expecting a lot of athleticism from our WRs, so maybe we can catch them off guard with speed. Especially after most of the offseason coach talk has been Warner, Falck, etc.

Obviously Warner will play a lot, you don't get named a captain if you're not going to be playing a lot. But I just have no idea what kind of plan we'll roll out, which is kind of exciting. There are a lot of different things we could try. I don't know if any of them would work, but the last couple years we haven't had the personnel for options to try to attack them - the closest was Wan'Dlae can sort of play IB and Mills could kind of play FB.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think our O line is going to be much better this year.  But, this is against OSU and they are going to have good guys at the front of their defense.  I agree we will have to mostly live off of short passes because 2AM might not have a lot of time.

I agree, the line play was a so much better by the end of the year its hard not to assume that they will be solid this year.  

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Toe said:

@ColoradoHusk Right now I'm more worried about the starters at WR than I am about depth. We know what we've got with Wan'Dale in the slot, but what about X and Y? Lack of a legit replacement for Stanley was one of the biggest problems on offense last season, almost as big as the line's problems. Now we're basically still looking for that replacement, plus needing to replace Spielman. Fortunately I don't think we'll need to play Wan'Dale at RB this year (except when we want to!), which is effectively a depth improvement in itself.

I have the same concerns you do about the starters at WR.    They seem like solid kids, but they don't seem like difference makers.  That's why I think NU goes more 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) so one of the X, Y, or R receivers are "off the field".  With Ohio State playing more zone defense last year (and likely this year) maybe NU will be better off with guys who can understand the defense and get in the right spots for AM to find them.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

IMO the strength of the right side (Farniok and Benhart) is run blocking so I could see trying to be a right-handed running team.  That allows Martinez to play action fake the run to the right, and then roll back to the left against the defense.  There, Martinez will have the option of a short pass or keeping it himself on the QB bootleg.  

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have the same concerns you do about the starters at WR.    They seem like solid kids, but they don't seem like difference makers.  That's why I think NU goes more 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) so one of the X, Y, or R receivers are "off the field".  With Ohio State playing more zone defense last year (and likely this year) maybe NU will be better off with guys who can understand the defense and get in the right spots for AM to find them.

Since we have accepted that Manning wont play, can you imagine how much all of us will freak out if he takes the field on the first snap and makes a play?  :)  

• Haha 3
10 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Man our WR depth is still an issue. That's going to take another year or two to fix I guess, but we seem to have some recruits committed that should help. We've had a lot of misses at that position really need to hit on the guys we've got and some new recruits.

Betts needs to be a major contributor starting in 2021.  He was a key recruit for the 2020 class, and he can't end up being a miss.

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Man our WR depth is still an issue. That's going to take another year or two to fix I guess, but we seem to have some recruits committed that should help. We've had a lot of misses at that position really need to hit on the guys we've got and some new recruits.

I hear you, but I feel it could happen faster than you think.  You could make the argument 2020 was Nebraska's best Receiver recruiting class ever.  I like how we are mixing it up with speed guys and size guys.  Its going to be fun to watch. 

Flemming  5'11 Slot/WR   4*

Betts          6'3    WR           4*

Nixon         5'11  Slot/WR   3*

Brown        5'11  WR           3* (probably should have been a 4*)

Manning    6'4    WR           4*

Grimes      6'2     WR           4*

Hardy        6'3      WR           3*

Neville      6'4       WR          3*

Fidone      6'5       TE           4*      (had to add this guy, because he is going to play everywhere)

• Plus1 5
21 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Brown        5'11  WR           3* (probably should have been a 4*)

He was 4* on 247's rating, just not on their composite score. And even the composite was just barely below it - .89 is the mark for 4*, and Brown was .8897.

And where's Demariyon Houston at? He's another one who was just barely shy of 4*. And Jamie Nance was 4* on Rivals. I think people forget just how many guys Frost has been redshirting!

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Toe said:

Some facts and figures from an Ohio State game preview:

• Based on available records, 2020 is believed to be the first time Nebraska returns its entire starting offensive line since two-platoon systems were first allowed under NCAA rules in 1964.
  • Nebraska is the only team in the country who had the same starting offensive line (by player and position) for every game during the 2019 season and returned all five of those starters.
  • More than two-thirds of the Husker roster is underclassmen, as 109 of the 154 players are either freshmen or sophomores (71 percent).
  • Nebraska has 79 freshmen on its roster, more than the sophomore, junior and senior classes combined. Fifty-one percent of NU’s roster is freshmen, the second straight season freshmen have made up more than half of the roster.

https://www.journal-news.com/blog/hartman/nebraska-ohio-state-what-you-need-to-know-about-saturdays-season-opener/ONV5CC6UGVDQNM6XAYRTU3DETM/

Hope this year goes well. however if we show small signs of growth - the above should lead to success in future years.

59 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I think this is only an issue because we don't know what we have in the young guys.  There's talent there.  We just don't know yet how much.  

So, yes, it could take another year....or, a couple guys prove their talent this year and we realize we actually do have depth at the position.

• Fire 1