Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

I think Christian McCaffrey is an incredibly special player who established his credentials at multiple positions, but none of them quarterback.

When we suggest Luke simply slide over to receiver or some kind of wildcat, we're probably mistaking him for his brother. He's not as big, strong, or talented. That's not much of a slight, because again, Christian's a really special player. 

Luke was the next in a line of dual threat Husker quarterbacks who are better runners than passes, equal parts playground baller and turnover machine. I think he could have taken over for Martinez and produced similar results, but I think Nebraska needs to get better than both of them. 

So no. It's time for Waylon Smothers to shoulder the entire burden of Nebraska football.  Or maybe that kid from Kearny. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Kind of reminds me of what people used to say about Tim Tebow in the NFL...he is a great "football player" but not quite meant to be a QB. Well, with all due respect to both Tebow and McCaffrey, as great as athletes as they are, they don't honestly fit all that well in any other position, either. Perhaps a slash role and spot duty is the best we (or whoever he ends up with) can hope for. A player can make some great contributions in such a role, and there is no shame in that. 

But if the aspiration is to be an NFL QB or bust, that may not be in the cards.

14 hours ago, uberism said:

So I looked at who Luke has followed on Twitter and it's a bunch of P5 type of coaches for the most case but then I looked to see if they followed Luke back and its basically dead silence. He is learning the hard way that schools are not interested. 

I just looked. Penn St, Washington St, Louisville, Purdue coaches all following him since he left. I wouldn't say that's dead silence. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Ulty said:

Kind of reminds me of what people used to say about Tim Tebow in the NFL...he is a great "football player" but not quite meant to be a QB. Well, with all due respect to both Tebow and McCaffrey, as great as athletes as they are, they don't honestly fit all that well in any other position, either. Perhaps a slash role and spot duty is the best we (or whoever he ends up with) can hope for. A player can make some great contributions in such a role, and there is no shame in that. 

But if the aspiration is to be an NFL QB or bust, that may not be in the cards.

Well Bill Walsh told Scott Frost he would never be an NFL quarterback, and as it turned out, not a Stanford quarterback, either. 

Walsh was right, but Frost still got to be a college quarterback and an NFL safety. 

There wasn't really any position for Eric Crouch in the NFL. I think that's what Luke is looking at. He could still have a helluva good time if he finds the right (smaller) college. 

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure why that’s funny.  It’s what happened from my memory.  

Great Husker. Tough as nails. Won some games almost single-handedly. But Eric had a healthy ego and may be the source of the rumors that he could have been an NFL receiver if he really wanted to.

It's not funny and that wasn't my emoji. But that may be the reason you got it. 

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Great Husker. Tough as nails. Won some games almost single-handedly. But Eric had a healthy ego and may be the source of the rumors that he could have been an NFL receiver if he really wanted to.

It's not funny and that wasn't my emoji. But that may be the reason you got it. 

If he would have fully committed to being a WR like Randle El did, why is it a forgone conclusion that he couldn’t do it?  

He had the speed. We agree that he was tough as nails.  

Randle El - 5’10” 185 lbs. 

Crouch - 6’ 210 lbs. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey