Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

35 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Curious if we would take McCaffrey back, if he can't find a home.

I think that bridge might have been burned. 

If i remember correctly, he sort of just left and didnt really tell the team.

Not sure if its an immaturity deal or entitlement but you sort of expect that from a 19 year old... That is why you need a strong support system and it seems like his support system failed him a bit.

If he really wants to be a QB, he should go find a place with a good track record, and prepare to sit a few years and learn/ be patient. 

Just now, Minnesota_husker said:

I think that bridge might have been burned. 

If i remember correctly, he sort of just left and didnt really tell the team.

Not sure if its an immaturity deal or entitlement but you sort of expect that from a 19 year old... That is why you need a strong support system and it seems like his support system failed him a bit.

If he really wants to be a QB, he should go find a place with a good track record, and prepare to sit a few years and learn/ be patient. 

And just pulled himself out of uniform at Rutgers when no one really knew he was "hurt".

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Naw man, in a sport like football where your physical well being is literally on the line, i feel like unmeasurable themes such as unity and having one another's back is critical more so than other sports.  Guy caused some off the field splashes and distractions here and i feel like he burned a bridge to coaches and players alike.  

Besides, I'm willing to make the argument that even returning as an athlete, he'd be nothign more than a distraction or trick play kind of guy. Between our WRs and TEs we have, Luke is not a superior wide out option and he doesnt currently have the frame to be a consistent running back, which we're badly in need of.  Sure, the kid can make plays, he's got wheels no doubt, but his wishy washiness and uncertainty about position is a distraction that isnt worth the squeeze

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Yes, though I don't think he has an interest in returning. It would take a lot of humble pie to come back now and would require Luke to turn into more of a gadget QB (Taysom Hill) whose main playing time would be in several positions around the field, not solely QB. We would benefit by having an athlete like him back in the program. Besides, we only have Adrian and two projects-at-best at QB right now. 

I realize the optics are not good for Luke, but I can't help but wonder if the Louisville coach/staff might have been selling a different situation and came into different circumstances than promised. Considering they hadn't even had him in an organized practice/training camp, I would be inclined to believe that the coach essentially slammed the door shut on any competition or allowing him a chance at QB1 despite going 4-7 last season. I would be very surprised if Luke chose to transfer there with a "starting QB or I'm out" ultimatum. 

4 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Yes, though I don't think he has an interest in returning. It would take a lot of humble pie to come back now and would require Luke to turn into more of a gadget QB (Taysom Hill) whose main playing time would be in several positions around the field, not solely QB. We would benefit by having an athlete like him back in the program. Besides, we only have Adrian and two projects-at-best at QB right now. 

I realize the optics are not good for Luke, but I can't help but wonder if the Louisville coach/staff might have been selling a different situation and came into different circumstances than promised. Considering they hadn't even had him in an organized practice/training camp, I would be inclined to believe that the coach essentially slammed the door shut on any competition or allowing him a chance at QB1 despite going 4-7 last season. I would be very surprised if Luke chose to transfer there with a "starting QB or I'm out" ultimatum. 

He has gone through recruiting once coming here.  He has two brothers that have gone through recruiting.  He has a dad who is a college coach that recruits.  I would think that they would be able to see through BS if the coaches were actually dishing it up.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

He has gone through recruiting once coming here.  He has two brothers that have gone through recruiting.  He has a dad who is a college coach that recruits.  I would think that they would be able to see through BS if the coaches were actually dishing it up.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like the issue is on the coaching end here. Seems this kid wants something no one is going to provide him. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

True, they should be able to see through BS. That said, they were 4-7 last year... only the coaches and the player/family know what was being said when he committed. I did find it odd that the coach would go to the media about it and push the 'he wanted to be the starter and left when it wasn't handed to him' sentiment. For all we know, he went to Louisville and realized how different it was than home and decided he didn't want to live there for the next few years. 

7 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I did find it odd that the coach would go to the media about it and push the 'he wanted to be the starter and left when it wasn't handed to him' sentiment.

I thought that was odd, too. Coaches typically don't say things like that. You have to really piss them off to get such a blunt statement most of the time. 

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I thought that was odd, too. Coaches typically don't say things like that. You have to really piss them off to get such a blunt statement most of the time. 

That was my thought as well. Made me think that though Luke transferred with the intention of being a QB. Louisville coaches had other plans, but didn't fully reveal them until they started holding summer workouts last week. Seeing how the McCaffrey family was with their sons, I strongly doubt they posed a "starter or leaving" ultimatum so I lean towards thinking something was fishy on the Louisville coaching side.

Or for all we know, he got homesick and didn't want to live in Louisville, KY.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

That was my thought as well. Made me think that though Luke transferred with the intention of being a QB. Louisville coaches had other plans, but didn't fully reveal them until they started holding summer workouts last week. Seeing how the McCaffrey family was with their sons, I strongly doubt they posed a "starter or leaving" ultimatum so I lean towards thinking something was fishy on the Louisville coaching side.

Or for all we know, he got homesick and didn't want to live in Louisville, KY.

Satterfield also seems like he's not the most honest person of all-time so I'm not sure I take his presentation of events at face value. 

1 minute ago, J-MAGIC said:

Satterfield also seems like he's not the most honest person of all-time so I'm not sure I take his presentation of events at face value. 

Bingo, I agree. The tweet from the ESPN radio personality did have a bit of sensationalism to it, but the coach going to the media saying they still need a safety, QB, RB and WR is a weird move. If I were a current player in the program, I can't say that publicized recruiting wish list would instill confidence.

• Plus1 1

Truthfully this is the prime example of disillusion going on in CFB. I think Luke is a pretty decent straight line athlete but I don’t see any ability to make him a WR or RB at a average or high level. And he’s not even close to the QB his older brother is yet he’s going from school to school without the understanding of who he is. If he had stuck it out and developed he probably would’ve found himself as a pretty good gadget player. I’m actually a fan of the transfer portal. Looking at  all the advantages everyone around these programs has to profit the kids should at least have freedom but that freedom is too often being steered by immaturity. I wish these kids just had better ways to make these choices. 

4 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

Truthfully this is the prime example of disillusion going on in CFB. I think Luke is a pretty decent straight line athlete but I don’t see any ability to make him a WR or RB at a average or high level. And he’s not even close to the QB his older brother is yet he’s going from school to school without the understanding of who he is. If he had stuck it out and developed he probably would’ve found himself as a pretty good gadget player. I’m actually a fan of the transfer portal. Looking at  all the advantages everyone around these programs has to profit the kids should at least have freedom but that freedom is too often being steered by immaturity. I wish these kids just had better ways to make these choices. 

Disagree

Though I too wish Luke would have stayed here, I can also see his perspective in leaving. Say he sticks it out here...

Best case for Luke, Adrian moves on after 2021 season and Luke has up to three years to potentially be the starter by beating out two freshman project QBs.

Alternative outcome: Adrian uses the Covid waiver and comes back to be the starter in 2022 as a fifth year senior. Luke's likely starting opportunity window drops to two seasons and the freshmen project QBs (presumably) get more even with practices and seasoning. At that point (2023 season), Luke would not have been a full season starter at QB since his senior year of HS in 2018. Add into this puzzle the assumption of not taking transfer QBs in today's transfer happy era.

Though the fan in me says to stick it out and earn the starting spot, the realist in me understands wanting a better opportunity if one is available. Seeing how many times some of my friends switched majors and flipped between colleges, I can understand a 20 year old changing his mind on more than one occasion.

• suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey