Frost will fix 20+ years of crap

21 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Speculating on the future of Scott Frost and Moos's faith in him has to turn into a conversation about more than one thing:

- How far the Husker football program has declined;  pretty much down to irrelevancy from a once dominant, perennially competitive team.  That could have happened for only a few years, or for only one or two class cycles.. but:

- For how long the Husker football program has declined;  some cite all the way back to T.O.'s retirement.  Some to Solich's or even Pelini's departure.   But pretty much steadily down from either of those road marks in Husker history.

- The teams declining stats from season one of Frost's tenure to this past season:  O, D, and Special Teams.

- Whether or not a perception comes along in the minds of The Deciders that Scott Frost is up against something he can't handle, and that has to be defined as to his abilities/lack thereof in a major conference, the Big Ten in particular, of course.  It takes a lot to dislodge faith in anything, and if those Deciders are still in the midst of faith in Scott Frost, then how many losses over how many years will it take to replace that faith with the horrid realization that $35 million can't buy Husker success at all, let alone the afore mentioned perennial success of the 30 year Husker Golden Era?

My answer to all of that is that I'm trying to let Moos's good words about the Husker football future displace a lingering feeling that our popular Golden Boy is not up to it.  Recruiting gets mentioned a lot, and of course it takes many cycles of good, solid recruiting (including walkons here at Nebraska) and a great coach who knows how to run them to create a monster program.  That's Moos's spiel.  I don't think it's going to happen with this guy Frost.

Tom had the same doubters after a couple of season's, and for good reason I guess. Did take over a pretty good program, and was given time to keep it rolling. 

Frost walked into a S!^t storm, and a very bad team. Now he is going to need more time than T O ever did. Three years from now if they are still winning 4-5 games, then yeah your assessment of Frost was right. I think you will be proven wrong, and if so, it's a win win for all of us. 

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

College football has also changed a lot in the last 20 years. More teams demanding more excellence shared the same recruiting pool, and advantages Nebraska once enjoyed were being whittled away. 

Not all of this is on the administration. But if you really were savvy enough to see the way college football was going, and knew you had to act ahead of the curve to meet the incredibly high expectations of Husker fans, you could see how replacing Frank Solich in 2003 was the right move.

Problem was, most of us thought the position of Head Coach at the University of Nebraska was going to be attractive to that transformational next generation coach, and it actually wasn't. That all got played out in public and Bill Callahan was a face saving measure, an NFL head coach one year removed from coaching a Super Bowl. Firing Callahan wasn't a mistake. Firing Bo wasn't a mistake. Firing Riley wasn't a mistake. And now that we have the only coach every Husker fan can agree on, and he's turned in the worst back to back seasons of them all,  we finally get the humbled expectations and patience needed for a genuine rebuild.

Then again, a half-dozen of the right recruits could make a world of difference overnight. I'm going to expect better every year because I really, really need to believe this is the bottom.

Well said.   (lol - my shortest post ever!)

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

Tom had the same doubters after a couple of season's, and for good reason I guess. Did take over a pretty good program, and was given time to keep it rolling. 

Frost walked into a S!^t storm, and a very bad team. Now he is going to need more time than T O ever did. Three years from now if they are still winning 4-5 games, then yeah your assessment of Frost was right. I think you will be proven wrong, and if so, it's a win win for all of us. 

GBR!!!

I remember the calling for his head thing, and the Colorado thing, with T.O.  It's one of those retrospect things that seems strange and silly now, and a lot of other things.  He needed time.  Are we favorably comparing Scott Frost to Tom Osborne?  I'm not.  Tom was not limited in his abilities, while Scott seems to be.  Two vastly different men.  Two vastly different minds.  We are not short siting Frost when we see his limitations, as some were back in the 70s about Dr. Tom.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I remember the calling for his head thing and the Colorado thing with T.O.  It's one of those retrospect things that seems strange and silly now, and a lot of other things.  He needed time.  Are we comparing Scott Frost to Tom Osborne?  I'm not.  Tom was not limited in his abilities, while Scott seems to be.  Two vastly different men.  Two vastly different minds.  We are not short siting Frost when we see his limitations, as some were back in the 70s about Dr. Tom.

Scott is NOT Tom Osborne but I see the potential in him to become a great coach.  It may only take about 3 or 4 more years to 'season' him into something we can all be very proud of in my view.!    

I urge all Husker fans to be be as patient and understanding as possible.  It will not be forever!  It is happening.  Building a great program after all the structural and other problems created by tectonic shifts with 4 coaching changes, several ADs, etc etc. in an era of rather dramtic change in the college football landscape generally is not easy nor quick.  Tom is quietly watching from behind the scenes and I have to believe he knows well all the things that need to be done and is Iending a hand where he thinks its may be needed.

Scott has a big ego - it takes one to even want to be  the Head Coach of Nebraska - but he also knows he has lots to learn and experience is a great teacher!   A couple more years and the kind of talent he's recruiting will start to compound and get the thing rolling along!  This class may finish strong and be the best recruiting class in 15 years despite the won/loss results!   Imagine what happens 2020 if we do get the train rolling!

• Fire 1

I don't know how to do a post quote from one topic to another one, so I'll post the link.. it's about Saban and Osborne but the OP made a great statement (well, one that I agree with) about T.O. that, to me, fits in this discussion about Scott Frost. 

I feel that there is a vast difference between Frost and T.O.'s abilities, and that Frost likely cannot live up to anything near what was done back then because of that.   He's showing signs of being limited in his abilities as we watch the team's stats devolve from first to second season here.  He has smarts, of course, but no insight;  that intangible mindset that moves a coach along to great success in a hard, difficult conference like the Big Ten.  As always, I hope I'm wrong about all this but I was not the only one saying this about certain former coaches since T.O. left.  We were right about them and we're right about this guy;  hyped but limited. 

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I don't know how to do a post quote from one topic to another one, so I'll post the link.. it's about Saban and Osborne but the OP made a great statement (well, one that I agree with) about T.O. that, to me, fits in this discussion about Scott Frost. 

I feel that there is a vast difference between Frost and T.O.'s abilities, and that Frost likely cannot live up to anything near what was done back then because of that.   He's showing signs of being limited in his abilities as we watch the team's stats devolve from first to second season here.  He has smarts, of course, but no insight;  that intangible mindset that moves a coach along to great success in a hard, difficult conference like the Big Ten.  As always, I hope I'm wrong about all this but I was not the only one saying this about certain former coaches since T.O. left.  We were right about them and we're right about this guy;  hyped but limited. 

Meh......

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I remember the calling for his head thing, and the Colorado thing, with T.O.  It's one of those retrospect things that seems strange and silly now, and a lot of other things.  He needed time.  Are we favorably comparing Scott Frost to Tom Osborne?  I'm not.  Tom was not limited in his abilities, while Scott seems to be.  Two vastly different men.  Two vastly different minds.  We are not short siting Frost when we see his limitations, as some were back in the 70s about Dr. Tom.

Not saying Frost will be the next T O,  but Tom had Bob to lean on , Frost has Tom. Like Scott's chances of turning it around, better than the last 3.  

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1

Milt Tenopir called Frost the best QB he saw in terms of understanding and implementing T.O.'s offense on the field.  Frost knows what to do, and the priorities now are fixing the OL depth chart (no offense to the starting 5 but they need to be pushed in practice by guys who could actually get PT), getting the right mix of WRs (one or two reliable big-bodied threats, cross your fingers that Betts and Manning qualify), and having 3+ running backs to rely on.  None of those things were there in 2019, all look better on paper for 2020 (for what that's worth).  Frost is limited only by his roster.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Some of these posts just drives me insane. Calling for Frost's head is insane. I am happy none of you calling for his head are in position to do so. 

Oh and one more thing, Tommie Frazier criticizing him is just plain bush league. That guy is only relevant in Nebraska, and Nebraska only. he needs to ride off into the sunset along with Johnny Rodgers. Those two guys holding on like a dog with a frisbee. 

• Plus1 3

Agree or disagree people have right to express their views.  And Frazier and Rodgers certainly earned the right to speak about husker football  - being two of the very best ever to play and win 4 national championships.   
they know football every bit as much as most anyone who comments on this site.   
I don’t like all the very nasty things - much worse than Frazier’s - offered up by a fairly large minority of the board.  That is very troubling and is hurting the program and likely hurting recruiting.    

We all need to do better at keeping our opinions realistic, logical and factually supported.  Constructive criticism is fair but pure name calling and insults aren’t needed.  

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

5 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

This may sound good to you as you're writing it and it would take a triple 84 HuskerLaw post (Not to offend, 84, don't mind reading your posts) to respond to the actual shallowness of these posts. Suffice it to say that there are people on this board that  are educated beyond their intelligence and believe they are the epitome of insight, intelligence, wisdom, understanding etc.  We're all entitled to our opinion, as you are, and this is mine.

Scott Frost is a winner, has been all his life, and odds are he will be again.  I don't care what conference or level you play/coach in it takes at least a certain level(rather high) of skill/understanding/wisdom/discernment of the game to be a winner, like take a team to an undefeated season.  Some on here talk about Scott Frost as having a really big ego because of how he's handled things since he arrived here but these posts and others on this board display what are some of the biggest egos I have ever come across. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, TheBigRed1 said:

This may sound good to you as you're writing it and it would take a triple 84 HuskerLaw post (Not to offend, 84, don't mind reading your posts) to respond to the actual shallowness of these posts. Suffice it to say that there are people on this board that  are educated beyond their intelligence and believe they are the epitome of insight, intelligence, wisdom, understanding etc.  We're all entitled to our opinion, as you are, and this is mine.

Scott Frost is a winner, has been all his life, and odds are he will be again.  I don't care what conference or level you play/coach in it takes at least a certain level(rather high) of skill/understanding/wisdom/discernment of the game to be a winner, like take a team to an undefeated season.  Some on here talk about Scott Frost as having a really big ego because of how he's handled things since he arrived here but these posts and others on this board display what are some of the biggest egos I have ever come across. 

As if thoughts and opinions are formed, parsed, sorted, then typed into a forum for "sounding good as you're writing it."   Not this puppy;  it's about reading things through, watching games, living the Husker experience for decades and decades, living my life and forming ways to make decisions, superimposing said experiences and observations of Husker football over current situations and the people involved.

Don't be shallow.   My expressed thoughts about Scott Frost aren't shot from the hip or quickly decided upon.  Re-read the previous paragraph and my previous posts about the new HC, along with those of others of a similar opinion;  you'll find far less "shallow" than in your very own post there pinning a medal on a man who hasn't proven at all that he's up to Big Ten football.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1