Frost will fix 20+ years of crap

Losing the Texas pipeline hurts more than most want to admit.

That "Texas pipeline" thing is a myth unless you are Oklahoma.  Texas is 70-65 the last ten years and claims first dibs on the "Texas pipeline".   It doesn't seem to be a magic elixir for them.  I would much rather my team hook into Florida.

I wish I had the crystal ball as I’d be curious to know how post game pressers will go when all “ His guys” are in place and he still bumbles away the game?  You know what the say about excuses and everyone has one

Same as they did with Osborne or they do now with Saban.  It happens.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Its Campbell...not Rhoades.

Iowa State went 3-9 in Matt's first year as head coach.  Since then

Year 2 - 8-4

Year 3 - 8-4

Year 4 - 7-5

Big 12 Coach of the Year - 2017 & 2018

Three straight years bowling

Funny how weak the Big 10 was back when Nebraska was in the Big 12 but instantly reversed when Nebraska jumped conferences.  Frankly...at this point and with this staff, Nebraska is hard pressed to win in either conference.

Newsflash.  Conferences and their strength is fluid.  Meaning ever changing, does this make sense?  The awesome big12 you speak of for the last two yrs was struggling getting a team in the playoff largely because the conference is a dumpster fire.  When NE was in the big12 you had TAM, OU, TX, KSU, and Missouri were all respectable.  Now not so much.  You couldn’t find one person with a functioning brain thinking the big10 over the last two yrs is light years better than the big12.  One of the things that actually worked in bos favor was how weak the west was while he was coaching.  

On 12/15/2019 at 11:40 AM, hskrfan4life said:

Have people forgotten that the team improved as the season went on both years? No? Oh just me. Okay.

Last season?  Yes.

This season? No.

Looking forward to Frost getting his players and making this click, but it's perfectly legitimate to consider this season a major disappointment and assign some of the responsibility to Frost rather than reaching back to Riley and Perleman.  

One year turnarounds are hardly uncommon. It's why bad teams hire new head coaches. 

• Fire 1
34 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Last season?  Yes.

This season? No.

Looking forward to Frost getting his players and making this click, but it's perfectly legitimate to consider this season a major disappointment and assign some of the responsibility to Frost rather than reaching back to Riley and Perleman.  

One year turnarounds are hardly uncommon. It's why bad teams hire new head coaches. 

You don’t think, especially when you factor in injuries, that we didn’t get better the back half of the season.......mmmkay

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

You don’t think, especially when you factor in injuries, that we didn’t get better the back half of the season.......mmmkay

We literally finished the back half of the season 1 -5, with losses to teams also decimated by injury, including a 2-6 Purdue team that won with its third string walk-on quarterback.

To put it another way, do you know anyone who feels more optimistic at the end of this season than they did last season? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

I can say, without a doubt, we were not a better team at the back half of the season.  I can comfortably say this is true about the front half,  and middle too.  Winning 1 of our last 6 is not improving or are you from the participation trophy era?

3 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

I can say, without a doubt, we were not a better team at the back half of the season.  I can comfortably say this is true about the front half,  and middle too.  Winning 1 of our last 6 is not improving or are you from the participation trophy era?

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We literally finished the back half of the season 1 -5, with losses to teams also decimated by injury, including a 2-6 Purdue team that won with its third string walk-on quarterback.

To put it another way, do you know anyone who feels more optimistic at the end of this season than they did last season? 

I don't disagree with you necessarily, and I am known to be delusional, but I might be more optimistic this year. Last year I was optimistic because of 1) Adrian Martinez, and 2) the second half improvement carrying over to year 2. Neither of those turned out as expected, for various reasons.

This year I'm excited because of the young players who are developing, actual depth, and players' third year in a system which has at times looked very good. Less about one guy carrying the team, and more about a bunch of guys who can share the load. So probably not truly more optimistic, but similarly optimistic for what seem to be better reasons. But I do hit the kool-aid hard, so take that for what it's worth.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wins and losses I get it.  Do I think we were a world better no.  Do I think we got better at certain things (oline) yes.  I think our skill players had been decimated and largely a mash unit which impacted some of our scoring.  I guess I view the bottom as the minn game, based on that we did get better.  And based on another poster I share excitement because a lot of these guys come back compared to 2018 where we lost the majority of our offense to graduation.  

• Fire 1

With the recruiting class coming together nicely, I’m working a conspiratorial theory that Frost sandbagged this year. Not so much to confuse the opposition, but to throw players out there to get experience, even if it’s not the position they will ultimately play, redshirted guys that might have contributed early, and maybe encouraged guys to transfer if they didn’t fit the long view. Some of his most  confusing coaching moves might have been game play? I think he threw this year out, and let’s face it- fans overhyped it and we were never going to be that good, (which was a very risky move but I guess he knew he had the AD’s support and a mostly solid fan base) to put the pieces in place. 

4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

With the recruiting class coming together nicely, I’m working a conspiratorial theory that Frost sandbagged this year. Not so much to confuse the opposition, but to throw players out there to get experience, even if it’s not the position they will ultimately play, redshirted guys that might have contributed early, and maybe encouraged guys to transfer if they didn’t fit the long view. Some of his most  confusing coaching moves might have been game play? I think he threw this year out, and let’s face it- fans overhyped it and we were never going to be that good, (which was a very risky move but I guess he knew he had the AD’s support and a mostly solid fan base) to put the pieces in place. 

I don't think that's in his nature as a competitor. And if that's what they were doing, they could've done it way more effectively - instead of freshmen playing their 4 games as role players, could've just started them for 4 games. I think internal expectations for this year were lower than fan expectations, but 5 wins was short of everybody's expectations.

5 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Agree to a point.  I don’t think he did it with the intention of tanking the season.  I do think this season was all about long term health and development of the program.  RS that could have helped this season were saved in order to protect depth and know that in yr 5 they help a lot more then yr one.  Jurgens is another great example.

3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

It is something that crossed my mind at points this fall - did Frost & Co hold back some of the better young players to keep the cupboard looking bare as possible in order to keep the best recruiting prospects interested?   However, unfortunately I do not think this was likely the case as it seems more logical that having a good year should have made the top recruits even more excited about jumping aboard the rising star program at the optimum time.  No doubt early playing time is important to far too many of the highly rated ones.  But, they still seem to flock to the Clemsons, Bamas, Ohio States, etc.  In the end, recruiting is a combination of individual coaches' personalities,  schemes, geography, and literally dozens of other factors that may come down to the individual players' personal preferences, family ties, and too many other factors to mention.  Some of recruiting is just plain EFFORT by the coaches.  Some is luck.   I think we have coaches who are doing every single thing possible to lure the right players that will fit their systems, plans, etc.  Several more years of the results that appear to be coming in this class will put us back in contention for Big Ten west divisions and respectable bowls.  From there, it is just perserverence and the last few critical pieces to build a championship caliber team   I am as bullish right now as I have been since Frost was hired.   Can't point to one specific thing - just a gut feeling.  Go Huskers!   Frost is a winner and always has been.  He will work as hard as possible and those around him will folllow suit.   Keep the faith! 

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Agree to a point.  I don’t think he did it with the intention of tanking the season.  I do think this season was all about long term health and development of the program.  RS that could have helped this season were saved in order to protect depth and know that in yr 5 they help a lot more then yr one.  Jurgens is another great example.

Frost was thinking long-term with most of his decisions for the year (redshirting most of the 2019 class, starting Jurgens at center, etc.), but he was still trying to get the team to 7 or 8 wins.  He was trying to make progress this year, while also looking at the long-term implications.  I don't think Frost was tanking this season, but some of the decisions backfired when injuries, suspensions, and lack of development at positions cost the team some games which Frost thought the team could win.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

I don't think any college coach would ever "tank" a season.  NFL, with draft picks dependent in how you finish is more likely....

However, I think the media and fans hyped up the season more than Frost.  Certainly more than Moos (ie 6 wins ).  The admn played down the hype......

I can see Frost honestly thinking with the talent on hand, he could get 6+ wins....Unfortunately, injuries, dismissals from team, suspension etc put a huge dent in that line of thinking.  Mismanaged RS's played into this as well. ie Johnson getting like one snap in two games further screwed his planning.  Frost is heading into year 5.  He is inexperienced, his staff is inexperienced and he is learning on the fly in the deep end as a HC.....The results were playing long game in hopes it pays off in the future for continuity of success.....This year, it bit him in the a$$ and we ended up with another losing season.  Next few years will tell if the wait to greatness was the correct play. 

Looking at our current recruiting class, after 2 losing seasons is telling.  The kids are buying what he is selling.  I am guessing that he is telling the kids a lot more of his vision and plans than he is the media and fans....