The Right to Carry a Gun

34 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No one is saying we can completely eliminate gun violence. But isn't reducing gun violence exactly what we are trying to accomplish? 

"No.  Its not a problem, so there's no reason to eliminate it."   

~ CONGRESS 1980-present

Also,

"How can we reduce something that we have no figures on?  Now's not the time to talk about this."

~NRA

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What propaganda am I consuming on this?

It's totally logical for me to believe that if I decide that I need to go buy a gun, walk into your office and blow you away.....I have some type of issue.

Or, are you saying I would be perfectly normal mentally?

That this is a mental health issue and not some other cause. The whole talking point about it being a mental health issue is from the NRA and other gun lobbies. It is not based in any fact, science, or medical discovery. 

It works because, as you say, it's easy to believe.  It seems logical.  But - again - it's based on zero facts.

And the nefarious thing is that it inherently demonizes the actual mentally ill.

Everyone who commits a crime is not mentally ill. Everyone who gets in a bar fight is not mentally ill. Becoming enraged and acting out is not a mental illness. Even if it's premeditated.

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That this is a mental health issue and not some other cause.

No....what specific propaganda?  I don't honestly ever remember reading an article or hearing a report on it.

Just because it appears to demonize all mentally ill people (which I don't agree that it does), doesn't mean it's not a big part of the issue that needs addressed.

And...no....not everyone who commits a crime is mentally ill.  I don't remember anyone saying that.

People get enraged all the time and don't commit murder.  Heck, my kids think I get upset really easy.  I don't think I've killed anyone.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

No....what specific propaganda?  I don't honestly ever remember reading an article or hearing a report on it.

Just because it appears to demonize all mentally ill people (which I don't agree that it does), doesn't mean it's not a big part of the issue that needs addressed.

And...no....not everyone who commits a crime is mentally ill.  I don't remember anyone saying that.

YOU inside YOUR SKIN does not have to have SPECIFICALLY consumed the misinformation. Why are you so caught up on this?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Yes, and then you said we have a way worse culture problem. I’m not sure why you have this idea. Is it the # of shooting deaths?

I look at this country and see nothing but problems.  Does Norway have the same racial divide, political divide, homophobia, gender discrimination or religious discrimination that America has?  To me, those are the driving forces behind violence on a small scale or large scale in this country.  Guns just make it easiest for those hateful learned tendencies to manifest in a physical way.

Maybe I'm not as studied on the cultures of Norway, but I don't think they have the same inner struggles this nation has.

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

No one is saying we can completely eliminate gun violence. But isn't reducing gun violence exactly what we are trying to accomplish? 

And your proposal to do that is what exactly?  Make it harder to legally obtain a gun, right?

I could counter with "Well people can still illegally obtain one, felons do it all the time" or I could explain how I'm totally in favor of that, which I have many times before.

My issue here is the people looking at this as solely a firearms problem are ignoring that wr as a people in this country have serious issues, mentally related or not.  And people only choose to ignore that because it doesn't help with the "guns are bad, mmmkay" narrative.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

I could counter with "Well people can still illegally obtain one, felons do it all the time" or I could explain how I'm totally in favor of that, which I have many times before.

Why make anything illegal then if people 'will just do it anyways'?

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

YOU inside YOUR SKIN does not have to have SPECIFICALLY consumed the misinformation. Why are you so caught up on this?

Well, your post claiming people who talk about mental illnesses in this discussion have fallen for propaganda was right after my post, so, I had to assume you were including me in consuming propaganda about this.

The propaganda comment just seemed like a cop out on the discussion.  

I'll stick my my long time belief that specifically mass shooters have some form of mental instability that the vast majority of the population doesn't have.  It might not be something that has been diagnosed nor something that even has been studied.  But....

And...again....mix this with our vast supply of guns in this country and the issues in our society that produce these types of people....and you have a recipe for disaster.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Why make anything illegal then if people 'will just do it anyways'?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Hence....why I DIDN'T counter with that and instead said I was in favor of making it harder to obtain guns

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And...again....mix this with our vast supply of guns in this country and the issues in our society that produce these types of people....and you have a recipe for disaster.

Spot on 

• Fire 1
35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, your post claiming people who talk about mental illnesses in this discussion have fallen for propaganda was right after my post, so, I had to assume you were including me in consuming propaganda about this.

The propaganda comment just seemed like a cop out on the discussion.  

I'll stick my my long time belief that specifically mass shooters have some form of mental instability that the vast majority of the population doesn't have.  It might not be something that has been diagnosed nor something that even has been studied.  But....

I've posted half a dozen studies and reports that explicitly state it is NOT mental illness.

That line comes from the NRA. It's a dodge to keep the focus off the real problem - the rampant proliferation of guns.

You can think whatever you want, based on nothing in particular other than your hunch. But that does not make your belief correct, and perpetuating those beliefs is part of the problem.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've posted half a dozen studies and reports that explicitly state it is NOT mental illness.

That line comes from the NRA. It's a dodge to keep the focus off the real problem - the rampant proliferation of guns.

You can think whatever you want, based on nothing in particular other than your hunch. But that does not make your belief correct, and perpetuating those beliefs is part of the problem.

No, the problem with the NRA is that they argue that it's ONLY a mental health issue.  But...that's a problem also on the other side that claims it's ONLY a gun problem.

:o  Yep....I did the "both sides" thing and I'll stick by that.

• Plus1 2
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

No, the problem with the NRA is that they argue that it's ONLY a mental health issue.  But...that's a problem also on the other side that claims it's ONLY a gun problem.

:o  Yep....I did the "both sides" thing and I'll stick by that.

I'll stick by the actual facts.

• Haha 1