The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

US deaths are horrific, but why does he not report European deaths?  A place we are always closely compared with to everything else, and was compared with over the summer all the time. 

well....you know how to do an internet search and find the info yourself.    why don't you look it up and post it if you want that comparison?

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, commando said:

well....you know how to do an internet search and find the info yourself.    why don't you look it up and post it if you want that comparison?

Well.....you know I have already posted comparable case counts and deaths across Europe and US.  

In case you didn’t understand the question I was asking why that gentleman didn’t compare a set of countries we most resemble and are always compared to.  Instead of comparing us to 3 islands, a few Far East countries and a small Nordic country?  

• Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Well.....you know I have already posted comparable case counts and deaths across Europe and US.  

In case you didn’t understand the question I was asking why that gentleman didn’t compare a set of countries we most resemble and are always compared to.  Instead of comparing us to 3 islands, a few Far East countries and a small Nordic country?  

Didn't you compare individual EU countries? The EU as a whole might be a more apt comparison. In which case we don't look very good with 10 more deaths per capita... Country by country we're still better than the worst of the worst Belgium, UK, Italy, Spain, etc. Which is an asinine comparison because we're top 10 in the world for deaths.

We have the wealth and resources to be better than this, but we aren't.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Didn't you compare individual EU countries? The EU as a whole might be a more apt comparison. In which case we don't look very good with 10 more deaths per capita... Country by country we're still better than the worst of the worst Belgium, UK, Italy, Spain, etc. Which is an asinine comparison because we're top 10 in the world for deaths.

I agree things should be better.  It was posted comparing Europe to US.  Also was posted in Nov I believe so doesn’t include December numbers. 

I think something also needs to said for comparing death counts by  individual counties.  I don’t think there is a standard across the board and the US is pretty liberal in what we count as a Covid related death (which I have no problem with).  Do other countries count them the same way?  

same with case counts.   Look at how much more testing is done in US per capita compared to any other country.  

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Here is some recent data comparisons. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#europe-usa-cases

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

same with case counts.   Look at how much more testing is done in US per capita compared to any other country.  

This isn't aimed at you, because it seems like you have a pretty good grasp on this.  

But, the frustrating thing is that I still hear people poo pooing the numbers because "We do so much more testing than other countries".

Yes, I agree test results aren't the best parameter to use.  Hospitalizations and deaths are a much better indication on how we are doing with the pandemic.  But...the people I hear say this, don't care about that.  They just use the testing excuse to not take it seriously.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

These are odd statistics.  Can someone explain?

Cumulative number of cases Europe vs USA (by number of days since 10,000 cases)

Cumulative number of deaths (by number of days since 100 deaths)

The y-axis is the cumulative counts of cases and deaths respectively. The x-axis is time in days where the reference (zero) point has been shifted so that the data aligns at a common point (10,000 cases and 100 deaths respectively). This is done to make the data more easily compared as opposed to a non-shifted x-axis where the different regions were initially affect by the virus at different times.

Just now, RedDenver said:

The y-axis is the cumulative counts of cases and deaths respectively. The x-axis is time in days where the reference (zero) point has been shifted so that the data aligns at a common point (10,000 cases and 100 deaths respectively. This is done to make the data more easily compared as opposed to a non-shifted x-axis where the different regions were initially affect by the virus at different times.

Oh, so X and Y intersect at where both countries had 10,000 cases or 100 deaths.

Got it.

• Plus1 1